Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

F-150 with 1ton axles?

M3FordBoy
06-04-2005, 01:09 PM
A friend of mine has a '87 F-150 4x4 I6 motor stick and a 6" supension lift. He wants to get some bigger axles like ones with 8 lugs. Has anyone ever done this and how hard would it be? or is it even worth it? The purpuse for doing this is just so they are stronger and he can punish the truck a little more without having to worry about braking the axles as much. He also wants to raise the truck up 6 more inches has anyone ever seen a 12" suspension lift system. I know he would probably have to replace or have new drive shafts made and stuff I wander if this is posisble or worth the hassle.

fordtrucksonly
06-06-2005, 02:32 AM
If he really wants to give it hell, I would run with a 9" rear end, and I dont know if he has yet or not, but if hes going to run anything bigger than a 35" tire, I'd recommend re-gearing it with eh, maybe 4.11 gearing. I've never seen a 12" lift kit for that model but i'm sure if you look hard enough you'll be able to find one.

About the axle, I've seen alot of punishment on a 9" and they seem to be the winning combo in off-road use. I'm sure your buddy knows but lifting the truck another 6 inches, he knows the painstaking process of new brake lines, speedometer adjustments, bumper adjustments (for some state laws), steering issues, tires, brakes, etc... Now, if its worth the hassle (and money) or not, thats up to your buddy. But most stuff can be done.

M3FordBoy
06-06-2005, 11:18 AM
Hey thanks for the info I'll pass it on to him maybe were can find a 9" rear end at a salvage yard. I didn't realy see the reason for a 8 lug setup, because right now his I6 is stock and not making enough power to have to upgrade the axles that much.

Add your comment to this topic!