Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Check engine light after Cold air intake installation

Saturn2187
06-02-2005, 07:36 PM
Hi.
I installed a cold air intake yesterday, but I forgot to plug one thing into the new intake pipe. After a minute or two of driving, the check engine light went on. I believe the cord with the little plug at the end that I didn't plug in is the mass airflow sensor. Is that correct? I plugged it in but the light still didn't turn off. Any ideas? Thanks.

Robert1010
06-03-2005, 07:56 PM
Hi.
I installed a cold air intake yesterday, but I forgot to plug one thing into the new intake pipe. After a minute or two of driving, the check engine light went on. I believe the cord with the little plug at the end that I didn't plug in is the mass airflow sensor. Is that correct? I plugged it in but the light still didn't turn off. Any ideas? Thanks.

There are 8 or so diagnostic monitors that run on the computer, to look for emission problems. 3 of the monitors run all the time, others only run under certain opperating conditions. The comprehensive monitor is the one you triggered. This monitor always looks for shorts, opens(unpluged), and way out of spec sensors.

The computer will turn the check engine lamp(MIL) off after 2-3 warm up trips.
For most codes the car will have to be cold and then driven till warmed up.
The code will stay in the computer for awhile but the check engine lamp will not come on from it.

If you disconnect the battery or reset the codes, with a scan tool the lamp will go out, now.

The OBDII system is far more complicated than I covered here. But you really don't have much of a problem, with your check engine lamp.

Rob

Add your comment to this topic!