Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

checking timing belt / campaign stickers

Daddycat
06-02-2005, 11:20 AM
I bought this truck in early April, the maintenance history is unknown to me. So I'm worried about the condition of the timing belt. Is there an
"easy" way to check the condition? I'm hoping one or the other top covers comes off without taking too much else off. I'll visually inspect the belt and do the thumbnail test as per my Haynes Manual.

By the way, is there a way to understand the campaign stickers on my door frame?

Thanks in advance, Joe

Daddycat
06-07-2005, 01:20 PM
I guess I could just attempt to remove a timing cover and hope for the best, though mabey I should search for someone who has replaced their timing belt and ask them..... I thought these two questions might help alot of folks. Can anyone help??

amigo-2k
06-07-2005, 01:48 PM
At a 115k I still would replace it even if you don't know the history of the truck.

I think a dealer could run the VIN for you and see if any dealer maintaince has been done on the truck.

rodeo02
06-07-2005, 04:39 PM
It would have been too nice for them to include an inpection door/plate on a T-belt cover to inspect the darn thing! It's probably not a bad idea to replace everything now. It will be pricey however. You'll need the belt, atleast the tensioner pushrod assembly, a new water pump, and possibly a new idler pulley and tensioner sprocket. You could have piece of mind and replace now, or wait until the water pump starts to leak, or wait for the T-belt to break/pop off which may cause you to coast to a stop somewhere you don't want to :uhoh: !
G/luck
Joel

rrbigdan1
06-07-2005, 08:53 PM
I have a 1993 Isuzu Rodeo 3.2

I removed the timing belt since I was replacing the belt tensioner. I put everything back but now the engine does not want to start.

I removed everything again.....

T-Belt has three lines on it. I put the middle line on the crankshaft and the two outside marks for each one of the camshafts. First I placed the belt on the passanger side camshaft and I rotated the pully until tha makr was on it. Than I placed a paper clip on the pully and the belt to hold the belt down. Than I rotated the driver side pully untill the mark alligned. Than I installed the tensioner to put some stres on the belt and tighten it. I than tried starting the engine and had no luck.

Can someone help?

listentillithrtz
06-10-2005, 12:59 AM
rrbigdan1, did you test the position of the pulleys by turning over the motor by hand via crank pully bolt? could be 180 deg. off. did you hear any pinging when you tried to start it?

Add your comment to this topic!