Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Clunking while accelerating

bill-the-ba$tard
06-02-2005, 02:29 AM
Hi. I have a 93 Civic and I just put a B16a1 into it with a hydrolic LS Y80 transmission. I bought two remanufactured halfshafts when I put it in. I've heard that you need to remove the dust covers on the steering knuckles and the seals on the end of the axels to make it a good fit, but that is for a B16 into a 4th gen, and I have a 5th gen. Besides, I already have GS-R brakes, so my knuckles were made for B-series axels.

Anyway, I got it all put together, and now I hear a sort of clunking/rubbing/vibrating noise that gets faster with road speed. So, I tried some different axels. No difference, same noise. So I pulled out my tranny and pulled it all apart. All the bearings look brand new. The one thing I noticed is that the gears in the differential seem to have a lot of slop in them. My roommate claims that is normal, and I know that the majority of that slop will go away once that axles are installed, because that will keep the gears centered.

So.... I think I have ruled out the axels and the transmission. The diff may be causing it... I don't think it is the wheel bearings, because they were fine before I did the swap.

Anyone have trouble like this before? Any opinions or suggestions?

Thanks

94DXSiR
06-02-2005, 04:38 AM
If its comming from your wheel wells, check your lugs and make sure they are tight. I had the same problem with my civic when i got my new rims and tires on. Didnt have the right lugs and it was causing them to come loose and have maybe the same noise your having now. Got new lugs, torqued them down, havent had the problem since.

bill-the-ba$tard
06-02-2005, 11:53 AM
That is one of the first things I thought it was too, but everything is good and tight. I've been using the same wheels, lug nuts, and steering knuckles for a year now. The noise does sound very similar indeed to a loose wheel. Thanks for the help though.

I'm going to go to a tranny shop this morning, and I'm going to bring my transmission internals with me to get their opinion on the bearings and differential, but I would still like to know if anybody has had a similar problem before.

Add your comment to this topic!