Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

what 5.0 for custom install?

Ace$nyper
06-01-2005, 08:43 PM
Hey all! i've wondered back here, seeking your wisdom.

I'm hopfully selling my 13 sec honda soon, and I will be needing a small block ford motor and you just can't beat the 5.0 EFI bang for buck.

Now I want to keep EFI it'll be going into a car that started with an MPFI system and even though it'll be a non winter car I have a carbed motor I dont want 2.

Would just junkyarding a 89-93 v-8 be good I really want one healthy. Should I spend more for a rebuilt or get a new motor even?

Also for the trans I want a 5spd just a t-5 will be good? This car I doubt will see more then I/H/E maybe a mild cam.

Anything you guys can give me with thoughts would be much help thanks a ton!

stang805
06-02-2005, 03:28 AM
it really depends on your buget, you could rebuild a junker for a reasonable price, or you could go all out and get somthing like the ford racing GT-40 crate engine http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=27 as for the T-5, its good for around 300hp, just remember that when doing the engine, tremec makes a nice 5-spd, the TKO which would leave you a little more room for engine mods

Ace$nyper
06-02-2005, 11:57 PM
Yea for me I don't think upgrading power will be needed for a while so I though a t-5 would be enough for me.

If i was to go with that should I do the TKO instead it being over 300 hp?

BigDanTheMan
06-03-2005, 01:46 AM
well everyone wants a new motor, if you can get a 5.0 with a destroyed engine for cheap then go that route. i know that you know what to look for in a junkyard engine, but would you be interested in maybe taking the 5.8 out of a truck or a 302 out of another ford/linc/merk and configuring it for a mustang? the optimal learning experience is to rebuild one yourself and i'm pretty sure that you the mechanical know-how to get into that.

side note: i thought you were a bit of a flashy boy, i wouldn't have figured you for the fox body style.

BigDanTheMan
06-03-2005, 01:51 AM
as far as transmitions go, i believe that the w/c t-5 is terribly under rated. if you can get a body with one already then keep it until she can't take your engine power anymore and then fit the tremec.

Ace$nyper
06-03-2005, 12:54 PM
well everyone wants a new motor, if you can get a 5.0 with a destroyed engine for cheap then go that route. i know that you know what to look for in a junkyard engine, but would you be interested in maybe taking the 5.8 out of a truck or a 302 out of another ford/linc/merk and configuring it for a mustang? the optimal learning experience is to rebuild one yourself and i'm pretty sure that you the mechanical know-how to get into that.

side note: i thought you were a bit of a flashy boy, i wouldn't have figured you for the fox body style.
hahah i'd rock a foxbody a local autoXer has a total beast one but i guess I forgot to add i'm stuffing this in a mitia so yea time to grow a bald spot and get a loose wrist :lol2:

I'm figuring from the ride I took in a stock one much work won't be needed to the motor ever so i'm more aimed for bang for buck so a t-5 and a 302 would probbly be my best bet. I do have to ask though a 5.8 would it mount same?

TheStang00
06-03-2005, 01:39 PM
i cant answer that question about the 5.8, or 351 same thing i dont know if u knew that. but i can tell you that you can get them for pretty cheap too

SVTcobra306
06-03-2005, 05:54 PM
Pull a 5.0 out of a 97-98 Explorer if you can find one, GT-40P heads and a Cobra-equivalent intake box stock. Swap cams, and yee-ha 300 HP.

351wStang
06-03-2005, 07:05 PM
I do have to ask though a 5.8 would it mount same?

Yes it will line up and mount onto the same motor mounts and a 302. But, its taller and wider. A 302 is probably going to be tight anyway. A 351w/5.8EFI would just make it that much worse.
So, for your application, I would suggest a 302. I have 2 302's if you need. 1 is torn apart and the other is still in my mustang. They both need rebuilding.

Ace$nyper
06-04-2005, 05:49 PM
ok cool thanks when I can track down a good chassis and sell my honda *13 all motor clean looking you know you want it*
I will go with a 302 then.

Add your comment to this topic!