Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Need help 1979 280Z

flossy21
06-01-2005, 08:15 PM
My uncle has a 1979 280Z he has owned since new. It has been garage kept but not driven regularly. This weekend he brought it over because the rear brakes are grinding. It looks to me like the pads are gone (maybe fell off from old age?) but the steel backing plates are still there. I am not sure how to go about changing pads on a vehicle this old. I have changed pads on my ford truck (2001) and also on my explorer (1996). Can anyone give me some guidance as to how to remove rear and front pads and replace? Thanks in advance for you help.

DeleriousZ
06-01-2005, 08:33 PM
well assuming that they're rear discs, it's not a whole bunch different than any other disc brake system, just have to be careful with the pad clip assembly that holds the pads in the right place, can be tricky the first few times you fiddle aroud with it, just keep everything in order, even take pictures if you have to.

flossy21
06-02-2005, 04:08 PM
they are indeed rear discs --- how do I start? do I take the two bolts loose from the hub casting first ---> It looks to me like this will free the cylinder assembly from the rotor so I can get the pads off of it.

DeleriousZ
06-02-2005, 07:07 PM
well first thing you'll want to do is take the wheel off :p but yeah, i found taking the caliper off was the easiest way when i was looking at mine, it's just those 2 bolts that are on the backside of the caliper, just be careful of the ebrake cable assembly as well

Add your comment to this topic!