Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

leafspring flex

wrxfreak123
06-01-2005, 02:10 PM
there is some companies doing lift kits for 2000 ford f-250 superduty one is superlifts 8 inch lift kits looks really good but i have one problem. why do they use leafsprings instead of shocks in the rear? if i was using a truck with a lift like that i would want to go off rod and use it for trails were flex is important. leafsprings look likethey would not flex much. could someone tell me why they use leaf springs? what are the atvantages of a kit like that against kit with springs? also does anyone know if this kit for this truck is madeforwhat imthinking? flexing and trails? thanks guys

stang805
06-01-2005, 02:16 PM
i think you mean coils, not shocks, and a coil spring cant carry near the weight a leaf spring can, and dont worry, they've been making off-road leaf spring suspensions for year, they do just fine

wrxfreak123
06-01-2005, 07:34 PM
i think you mean coils, not shocks, and a coil spring cant carry near the weight a leaf spring can, and dont worry, they've been making off-road leaf spring suspensions for year, they do just fine

so is that why they put leaf springs on the kit? it just seams leaf springs dont flex near as much as coilovers. but would this kinna kitbe good for trails and mud? imasking if this kit would have good flex.thanks stang805 for your input

stang805
06-02-2005, 03:13 AM
yeah they do pretty well, if you're looking for good off road capability, durability, and still streetable, superlift is a good kit, skyjacker, rancho, fabtech, and pro comp also make 8" kits whick are good, just find one in your price range that is as near complete as you can, i dont know for sure what all you need but some kits come with the pittman arm, sway bar links, shocks, track bar brackets and what not, one thing to keep in mind though, tires bigger than 35" or so can cause faster wheel bearing wear, not drastic but faster than normal, so you might want to replace them when you put bigger tires on

stang805
06-02-2005, 03:17 AM
p.s. ive taken my truck through some pretty nasty stuff with the stock suspension, the only time it got stuck it was sitting on frame with the front end in a very large hole, short of rockcrawling you should be able to go about anywhere the truck will fit with a kit from any of these companies

wrxfreak123
06-02-2005, 09:04 PM
thanks for the info stng its just i was kinna doubting the kits becuse of leafsprings but i guess i will not be doing any hard core rock crwling i live near sand, lookout,and signal mountian so i have a lot of places to do mountian trails and a lot of mudding in georgia. (i live on the northern most part of georgia near chattanooga) so thanks again stang

stang805
06-04-2005, 01:37 AM
yeah, no prob, for mountain trails and what not you should be happy with about any lift kit you buy, they'll give you some clearance and articulation, good luck, let us knoe what you end up with.

Add your comment to this topic!