Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

"Adaptive" Transmission

Kah00na
06-01-2005, 01:51 PM
Greetings!

I understand my 1999 Intrigue 3.5L has an "adaptive" transmission that can "unlearn" driving styles, and you must disconnect the battery to accomplish this. My question has two parts: how long must the battery remain disconnected and must I disconnect both the (+) and (-) terminals?

I am curious because there is an odd shudder at the shift points, particularly 1 - 2. My tranny has been service and given a clean bill of health by my dealer. I really do not want to give him any more cash if it is something this simple.

Thank you in advance!

GTP Dad
06-01-2005, 06:10 PM
Remove the positive only and leave it overnight. That should be more than long enough to clear out the "learned portion of the program."

jmlangeveld
06-02-2005, 09:47 AM
If the relearning doesn't cure your shudder, I'd try some Lubegard additive. You can buy it under the AAMCO brand at Autozone for about $10. Most professional transmission shops use and recomend it.

BNaylor
06-02-2005, 11:13 AM
Remove the positive only and leave it overnight. That should be more than long enough to clear out the "learned portion of the program."

I agree with GTP Dad on clearing the ECU adaptive shifts points. But I went through a similar ordeal with my '99 Regal LS with 4T65E tranny. Just want to pass on my experience. Disconnect the battery positive cable. Put key in and turn it to start position and hold for at least one minute. Of course nothing will happen and all dashlights will be off. Turn key to off, however, you will not be able to pull the key out at this point. Reconnect positive battery cable. Various relays will chatter. Now turn key forward and then off. It should now remove. And thats it and it will re-learn.

This procedure will also clear a SES/CEL light without the use of a odb-ii scanner/code reader with SES/CEL reset.

On the Lubegard, the stuff really works but it depends on how bad the tranny is. It will unstick various valves such as the pressure control solenoid/valve over a short period of driving time. It worked for me and I saved approx. $500 and did not have to get the PCS changed. But it may not work for all. I used up to 20 ounces of the stuff.

Just my 2 cents. :2cents:

Kah00na
06-06-2005, 12:42 PM
Thank you very much guys!

Add your comment to this topic!