Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1989 Corsica keeps stalling

InTheZone1967
06-01-2005, 09:18 AM
I have a 1989 Corsica with 13,000 miles on it. I bought the car from a little old lady who had it in a garage since 1990. It has run fine since January 05. The last two weeks the car will start but as soon as I put my foot on the gas it stalls. I restart it anywhere from 5-10 times with the same thing happening. Then it starts and it run ok with rest of the day. I have already changed the fuel filter. No check engine light comes on. I went to a parts store to ask them to check it for a repair code but they said they can't unless a check engine light is on. I have no idea what the problem could be. Any help?

jsgold
06-01-2005, 09:01 PM
Given how long this car sat I would bet there is a fuel problem, since you do not have (I assume) any trouble codes. Fuel goes bad after a few months and can gum up badly. Even though it has run since being put on the road again I would see if you could get a fuel pressure check. Assuming this car had not run during the time it sat, might have been best to drop the tank and drain /clean. Ditto on brake fluid. Might want to run some good injector cleaner through it and spray the intake or throttle body with some good cleaner while running and clean the IAC valve in case any junk clogging it. Your check engine light only has to come on for a few seconds to set a trouble code. Does not have to be "on" for anyone to test. Pick up a cheap ODB1 tester at Advance and check it yourself just in case. You will need it later anyway... Pretty cheap, simply plugs into the computer and comes with code book as a rule. Might want to advise more information on your car, such as engine size and type of injection, ie, throttle body or multi port fule injection. Might help get additional answers/replies.

InTheZone1967
06-06-2005, 08:50 AM
We took out the idle control valve and cleaned it thoroughly with carb. cleaner. It was completely covered with carbon - and now for the past 4 days it starts and stays running which makes my daughter happy because she doesn't have to take the bus to school anymore. So, hopefully that fixed it for good although from what I have read about the Corsica I am sure I am in for more repair work.

jsgold
06-06-2005, 09:14 AM
They are not bad. I have had mine(91) since new, 175K on it, so I have worked on or had worked on about all that can go wrong with it. Been a very dependable car and not difficult to work on. Only exception would be a head gasket or cracked head, or, a leaky intake gasket. But, compared to newer cars, they are easier to diagnose, and repair on common items.

Add your comment to this topic!