Automatic Transmission Problem

Lost Soul XX
06-01-2005, 09:32 AM
I recently felt a slight slipping in my automatic transmission at intermittent intervals. I took it to the dealer, they checked the fluid level and quality and said everything was fine. Two days later, it became stuck in park. I could not get the button on the automatic shifter to depress. The brake was depresssed, but the shifter would not move.

I had to put start it by putting the key to Acc. position, moving in to neutral.

Now everytime I try to shift out of park, it won't let me depress the button on the shifter.

Has anyone heard of this before? I'd like to be armed with some information before I bring it back to the dealer.

amigo-2k
06-01-2005, 09:51 AM
when was the last time you had the tranny flushed?

Total miles on the truck?

when you run the gear selector through the gears does it line up with the one on the dash? if so see the FAQ's on how to clean the range sensor.

try a search for stuck:

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=378601&highlight=stuck

Lost Soul XX
06-01-2005, 10:08 AM
I recently felt a slight slipping in my automatic transmission at intermittent intervals. I took it to the dealer, they checked the fluid level and quality and said everything was fine. Two days later, it became stuck in park. I could not get the button on the automatic shifter to depress. The brake was depresssed, but the shifter would not move.

I had to put start it by putting the key to Acc. position, moving in to neutral.

Now everytime I try to shift out of park, it won't let me depress the button on the shifter.

Has anyone heard of this before? I'd like to be armed with some information before I bring it back to the dealer.

72300 Miles on it...and I believe the transmission flush was done at the 60k mile service.

The shifter lights line up with the selector.

I don't know what would cause the button on the shifter to not be able to be pressed in though.

rodeo02
06-01-2005, 10:09 AM
Sounds like 2 seperate issues here. 1) Shift interlock solenoid not releasing floor shifter when you press the brake pedal to shift out of P. These can go bad after years of having cokes and coffees spilled in the center console :uhoh: . 2) slippage could be caused by a bad range / mode sensor. Next time it slips, verify the "PRND321" indicator on the dash lines up with what gear you have with the floor shifter. The dash gear indicator lights ever go nutz, it's due to a bad mode switch on the tranny, which will cause the trans to shift HARD or sssssslip!
G/luck!
Joel

amigo-2k
06-01-2005, 11:24 AM
another way to test the mode selector is to put it in D and the slightly push it forward (gental touch), if it shows N on the dash then you know it is pretty touchy.

Add your comment to this topic!