Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Am I being scammed???

MissC3676
06-01-2005, 01:33 AM
Okay, so i've been shopping around for a used xterra online and yesterday i came across an INCREDIBLE bargain. This guy is selling his 2003 xterra with 36k miles on it for $6000. So I email him practically salivating... I keep it simple and ask him for more info. He emails me back and says that he purchased the vehicle here in the states while on business with his company. He returned to GREECE and says that registering it there is TOO expensive and that he has to sell it much to his girlfriend's dismay. He says he'll pay for shipping and insurance and will make all shipping arrangements from there. Payment is to be done through "secure pay" This will be my first attempt at buying a car online and it has me a bit paranoid. I guess i'm just wondering if there's a massive auto scam ring operating out of Greece that i'm not aware of. I really want the car and have my bank on standby I've already checked Carfax and it was purchased here and the title's clear. Anyone have any thoughts????

spaminator
06-01-2005, 01:41 AM
it doesn't sound very good to me I'd be very careful. Oversea's is a pretty big no-no. But it's your money. Just remember anything that sounds too good to be true usually is.

MissC3676
06-01-2005, 01:44 AM
ughh... a lone voice of reason... guess i'll see how this guy wants "payment" to take place and i'll take it from there... thanks for the input though :)

icon7zero
06-01-2005, 01:51 AM
I don't know but it sounds like a scam to me. I've seen this kind of thing before. I live in Nebraska and I saw an ad for a 99 mustang in Iowa all tricked out with rims, body kit, custom interior, absolutely gorgeous...for $6000. So I email the guy asking when would be a good time for me to drive down and look at it. He emails me back saying sorry the car has been moved to GREECE but if I send him the $6000 plus shipping he'd send the car to me. SCAM! I see it all the time with Supras too. Show winning Supras being sold for under $7000. right....

You know it's up to you but I'd be extremely careful. I've been scammed once before when I was trying to sell my car. A guy from "england" sent me a cashiers check for almost 10 grand ( I sold my car for $3500) and tells me to transfer the excess back to him and someone would pick it up. Well I cashed the check and everything was fine and I had sent him $5000 when my bank tells me the check was fraud. So now I owed the bank 5 grand but luckily we got things worked out and I didn't lose any money but could have. It would have been even worse If someone had already came and got the car because then my car pretty much would have been stolen right out from under me. Too bad the bastard got an easy 5 grand.

There are too many internet scams out there and I'd hate to see you become victim to one so just watch out. If it looks too good to be true, 99% of the time it is. But that sounds like a scam to me. If you want to try and find out for sure ask the guy where in Greece the car is, and when he tells you act all surprised and say "I have a cousin who lives close to there he'll drive down and look at it for me, when's a good time?" See what he says to that and then go from there.

MissC3676
06-01-2005, 01:59 AM
Hmm..interesting info icon... wonder if the guy would take the bait about sending someone to go look at the car.. i'll look into that.. what do you think about the "secure pay" this guy was talking about?.. is there some way to investigate who this "third party" will be and find out if it's really "secure"... thanks in advance

icon7zero
06-01-2005, 02:04 AM
As far as "secure pay," could be Paypal, or simply MoneyGram or Western Union cash transfer. Either way, once you send the money there is no getting it back. To find out just ask the guy how he wants you to send payment.

MissC3676
06-01-2005, 02:09 AM
I see.. well, there's no way i'd western union money randomly across the world. Seems kind of bold for the guy to post his xterra right smack in the middle of yahoo autos (feel free to check it out..it's the only xterra under $19,000) You've been very helpful... I'll proceed (or not) with extreme caution...

ZagsElite
06-01-2005, 01:40 PM
this scam is ALL over the place, especially YahooAutos, any nice car listed at 6 grand or 9 grand even, will get you this same email response, ship from greece, $2000 deposit to a "3rd party", its really ridiculous if you think about it theres no question this is bs. He wants you to wire a non-traceable money transfer to a non-US bank, I don't see how he's figured out how to get away clean but its not worth the trouble. You will never see the car, I gaurantee he does not even own the car or know the person that owns it.

So far I have seen over a dozen of these online listings in the Houston and LA area where I have been, I have started just messing with him replying with stuff like "it turns out I am studying abroad this summer and will be visiting Athens next week, lets arrange to meet, I'll bring cash." and never hear from him again. When I get bored now I go and sign up all the fake email addresses he uses for loads spam newsletters, I suggest you do the same and stop wasting your time with this.

icon7zero
06-01-2005, 03:12 PM
And there you have it, thanks ZagsElite.

MissC3676
06-01-2005, 11:02 PM
Hey thanks ZagsElite...I was already suspicious.. just wanted some confirmation... you guys have all been very helpful... the car hunt goes on!!

MissC3676
06-01-2005, 11:03 PM
Hey thanks ZagsElite...I was already suspicious.. just wanted some confirmation... I'm glad I thought to come get some "help" before doing something stupid... you all have been very helpful... the car hunt continues!!

MissC3676
06-01-2005, 11:06 PM
oops...sorry for the multiple postings... my pc was acting up :|

MissC3676
06-01-2005, 11:12 PM
By the way... this community should blow the top off this scam...People should know better (geez, i feel dumb) but spreading the word could save alot of heartache....thanks again..

icon7zero
06-02-2005, 03:09 PM
Yea that would be cool to spread the word on these types of scams and try to put an end to it.

Btw, you'll notice a button under your posts that says "Edit/Delete." It can be useful :).

Add your comment to this topic!