Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

What can i do with these

roaingphantom
05-31-2005, 11:48 PM
I have about 3000 mp3's and a spare laptop and about $200. Now how creative can we get with a factory stereo system on a 2004 TB LS. I would prefer not to change the head unit so i can trade in or resell without problem if it comes to that eventually. Also i can change the speakers if necessary. What i am looking for is to be able to play my MP3's without the cassette adapter or lugging a lappy openly with me.

How creative can we get?

BlulytesTB
06-01-2005, 07:29 AM
I have about 3000 mp3's and a spare laptop and about $200. Now how creative can we get with a factory stereo system on a 2004 TB LS. I would prefer not to change the head unit so i can trade in or resell without problem if it comes to that eventually. Also i can change the speakers if necessary. What i am looking for is to be able to play my MP3's without the cassette adapter or lugging a lappy openly with me.

How creative can we get?

FM Modulator... pretty simple answer...
Not that fancy... Had one for my old XM before I got the TB with the built in XM head.

roaingphantom
06-01-2005, 07:54 AM
Nice, but will i get quality sound? I understand that with FM modulators there will be loss of sound quality. Also BluLytesTB can u tell me what is the id number of your silverstar foglamps. I'd like to install one onto mine also but i cant seem to find it. Many Thanks.

BlulytesTB
06-01-2005, 08:42 AM
Nice, but will i get quality sound? I understand that with FM modulators there will be loss of sound quality. Also BluLytesTB can u tell me what is the id number of your silverstar foglamps. I'd like to install one onto mine also but i cant seem to find it. Many Thanks.

Modulator: There are some pretty decent ones out there now... Look for one with an output level... making the signal stronger, this will help over come some of the lower level quality issues. I was very pleased with the one I had... it was from delphi.

Silverstars... "893ST"... alittle higher wattage and output than the "880ST" which is the replacement.

balboasdelight
06-01-2005, 10:20 AM
I would prefer not to change the head unit so i can trade in or resell without problem if it comes to that eventually.

Define "problem." :^)

Crutchfield has half a dozen MP3 receivers for under $150 (leaving room in your budget for shipping, possible wiring harness, parts you'll have to grab at the Radio Shack, etc.), and you can probably find more on ebay.

Swap the head unit. Stash the OEM one in the attic. When you're ready to trade or put the TB up for sale... swap them back! If you splice into the wires in the harness (don't cut anything), then when you remove it you can just clip them, tape them off, and plug the harness right back into the OEM radio. Nobody is going to remove it to see if there has been a different one in the iterim (and so what if there has?). Better, crutchfield may have an adapter harness that allows you to hook up directly.

You'll get better sound all the way around, and can take advantage of all the MP3 features in the new head unit. You'll also be in a better position to upgrade the rest of your sound system over time, which will put you a better, not worse, position when it's time to trade/sell.

I realize this doesn't answer your question, but I don't get why you're willing to get "creative" when your stated reason for not going the obvious route seems so innocous. It's just not that big of an operation to swap out the head units (even if you pay a shop to do it, it will only happen twice, and you'll still have the MP3 unit for your next vehicle).

Add your comment to this topic!