Page updated on 08-20-2018

best spot to switch gears

rice(er)
05-31-2005, 04:09 PM
lets say you were racing, what would be the best spot to change gears from the starting line, do you switch to second gear at 20 mph?? how about 3rd? 4th? 5th? i know some ppls who switch gears late because they want to stay at high rpms, what does that do? when exactly do you want to change?

-Josh-
05-31-2005, 06:25 PM
It would be easy to explain if i knew you would know what i was talking about.

So i'll just say that you have to know your car, each car has a different power band through RPM's, it's best to know the max RPM/Torque RPM for when to shift. Or if you know what to listen to in an engine you can tell when it's reached it's max power rpm range.

-The Stig-
05-31-2005, 06:27 PM
It'd be helpful if you told us what cars you were driving.

Ridenour
05-31-2005, 08:35 PM
http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=364431

That was a thread in this same sub-forum from a while back. It should explain it.

Ace$nyper
05-31-2005, 08:41 PM
and hes not banned why?

rice(er)
06-01-2005, 12:20 AM
It would be easy to explain if i knew you would know what i was talking about.

So i'll just say that you have to know your car, each car has a different power band through RPM's, it's best to know the max RPM/Torque RPM for when to shift. Or if you know what to listen to in an engine you can tell when it's reached it's max power rpm range.

hmm.....i've read around and most ppl are shifting near redline, so lets say.....from launch, u switch to first, the meter hits redline and you switch to second, the meter hits redline again, then you switch to third, etc etc? kinda like that?? hmmm....kore wa taihen omoshiroii desu ne

Ridenour
06-01-2005, 06:32 AM
and hes not banned why?

He's started 800 threads of pointless stuff that's already been answered 20 times :confused:

462cid
06-04-2005, 09:02 PM
hmm.....i've read around and most ppl are shifting near redline, so lets say.....from launch, u switch to first, the meter hits redline and you switch to second, the meter hits redline again, then you switch to third, etc etc? kinda like that?? hmmm....kore wa taihen omoshiroii desu ne

It's a "tachometer". A meter is a unit of measurement. How else would you shift up except by going 1-2-3-4-5, I wonder? And what 'racing' do you mean? Drag racing? Get an automatic. Manual trannys can easily add to ets

2of9
06-06-2005, 05:37 PM
dude...he forgot about double clutching...lmfao...well, for me, i've be driving manual cars for the past 6 months now, and i think its very easy for every car, but drag racing wise, its easy, just dont granny clutch....(lmfao)

mr2envy
06-07-2005, 12:18 AM
o wow this is truly sad someone help this kid or ban him lol

kia469
06-07-2005, 09:44 PM
Okay, I come From the drag racing world. The best place to shift ultimately depends on your car. You need to go to the dyno. If you have a 4cyl. or a car with high horsepower and no torque, I like to run the rpm's high enough to set down just a little before my max horsepower. If you have a 6cyl. or a car that has good power and torque I would rev high enogh to set the tach down where the two curves meet to get the best of both worlds. If you have a old V8 that has more torque than it does horsepower I would try to sit the tach on or just before the maximum torque level. What is the difference between torque and horses? Okay, if you have a very heavy car, or are going up an incline, Horses will do little good. Torque moves weight. If you have a very light car or are going downhill, Horsepower is your man. Torqued out engines usually get better take off if the tranny is right, and by the same token high hp engines usually catch up afterwards. Tranny's are very important. If you have a lot of torque I have seen 2-4 or 5 speed trannys work fairly well. If you don't have a good bit of torque, I woul recommend a six speed. I like a six speed on everything. It allows for much better rpm control if you can keep up with it.

wogBoy
01-11-2006, 04:28 AM
Wat if u don't have a tacho

Wat speed do u change @

Chiquae07
02-09-2006, 12:48 AM
omg i see where this is going to confuse people....basiclly let me help u you rice(er)

1st things first, do you have a tachometer? otherwise you posting this will be useless for you

Chiquae07
02-09-2006, 12:52 AM
honestly....

50-shot
02-10-2006, 05:33 PM
i think ricer is a complete moron personally. Here let me break it down to u retart. look at the guages. they will be in front of you. look for a meter looking thing that has numbers that go like this. 1 2 3 4 5 6 and look to see when it goes to RED. RED MEAN SHIFT DUMB ASS

Chiquae07
02-11-2006, 12:14 AM
um, 50-shot he cant do that if he doesn have a tach....u need a tach to shift acuratly on the money perfect rpm... but how can u do that if u dont have one? try it once 50-shot, dont look at the tach and when u say u were gonna shift, call out the rpm...then look at it and see if u were right....next try it when you WOT...its not easy is it?

Chiquae07
02-11-2006, 12:15 AM
btw, welcome to AF, and dont flame people already, if u do you wont make it to 50 posts.....

50-shot
02-11-2006, 08:50 AM
whats wot?

nismowu
02-11-2006, 08:55 PM
whats wot?

lol....:rofl:

Chiquae07
02-12-2006, 01:29 AM
now we really know you are a noob....Wide Open Throttle....aka..FLOORING IT, allowing your throttle body to open up all the way.....so much for knowing more about cars than my whole family....

50-shot
02-12-2006, 05:40 PM
whatever call me a noob because i didnt no what WOT means...lol go to any mechanic and ask em if they no what WOT means and tell me what they say. and then call em a noob. knowing shit about a car isnt that hard but can you work on a car?

BP2K2Max
02-12-2006, 07:31 PM
i think ricer is a complete moron personally. Here let me break it down to u retart. look at the guages. they will be in front of you. look for a meter looking thing that has numbers that go like this. 1 2 3 4 5 6 and look to see when it goes to RED. RED MEAN SHIFT DUMB ASS
not every car makes good usable power all the way to redline. in my old car power kind of fell off at about 4500 rpm and the car stopped accelerating as quickly from there. in this car redline is 6600 rpm but IMO the optimal place to shift is right as you crest over 6000, power tends to fall off past that. it really depends on the car.

and i disagree with whoever said you need a tach to land shifts well. i hardly ever look at my tach while racing or driving spiritedly. i shift by ear most of the time, same on my bike. after driving your car for a while you should be able to tell if you're making good power or not by how the motor sounds.

Chiquae07
02-13-2006, 02:41 PM
most of the mechanics i know do. im not even going to get into it, as this is going to tur into a flame war of you vs all of AF....im asking a moderator to lock this...

TerminalVelocity
02-27-2006, 06:53 PM
I know it.

Oh, and in tech manuals, its in there too.

Dumbass :rolleyes:

*drags mod over to lock it*

-The Stig-
02-27-2006, 07:01 PM
dammit people... can't we play nice?!:frown:

Closed.

Add your comment to this topic!