Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

z31 Exhaust - What do you guys have?

yobobrox
05-30-2005, 10:45 AM
I'm currently looking at getting a better exhaust system for my 85 300zx Turbo, and I'm curious as to what other people have and reccommend.

Anyone running without a muffler?
What about pipes that come out in front of the rear tire on the side? 3 inch too big or too small?

I hear there's a place in the stock exhaust where the exhaust goes up and over part of the car in the rear(haven't actually looked at it yet), and that's not so good for high velocity flow...Anyone found a way to avoid that bend?

ExTrEmEDrIfT
05-30-2005, 02:53 PM
well i still have a stock exhaust on my z31 but i have heard that magnaflow sounds really good on the z31..

the part in the rear you said it goes up and over part of the car , im not sure but are you talking about where it goes over the rear axle, if so you have to have that bend because if you go under the axle it can hit the ground ..maybe someone else knows better than me that has done this before..

k3smostwanted
05-30-2005, 05:14 PM
well i have a custom mandral bent exhaust that my buddy bent for me and i welded in place after a few cuts. i went under the axle and i dont have ground clearance problems...im sure if it was lowered i might have problems.

i have an N/A so i only went with a 2 1/2" cat-back exhaust...with the a hallowed cat and a HKS replica muffler. sounds deep and it bellows down the street but a turbo will silence that quite a bit.

stephenp
05-30-2005, 09:17 PM
3 " manderel and no muffler or cat....
loud as helll and sounds like a race car
rev on it too long and your ears will bleed and i recomend against anything ove 2 and a quarter without a baffling device of some sort if your gonna run it on the street
and the bend s shouldnt restrict it too much if yopu got manderals over the axel

DeleriousZ
05-30-2005, 09:40 PM
3" mandrel bent would be the best option for you, run no cat if you can... i think longlivethez was running no muffler and he said it sounded pretty good. piping it out the side will get it pretty damn loud, i think stephenp had it like that before he toasted his motor. i haven't been under the car lately to see if there would be clearance to go under the axle, but i'm sure that as long as you didn't hit any large speed bumps it wouldn't be too bad, but like i said, i haven't looked under there lately.

k3 if you ever sell the car, you should hack off the muffler and send it to me:D

k3smostwanted
05-30-2005, 10:15 PM
k3 if you ever sell the car, you should hack off the muffler and send it to me:D

:lol: ill think about it...you would probably get it easier off ebay. i paid $50 for it. :D

MikeMan
05-31-2005, 04:41 AM
I'm currently looking at getting a better exhaust system for my 85 300zx Turbo, and I'm curious as to what other people have and reccommend.
Anyone running without a muffler?

I'd say no muffler wouldn't sound all that bad because the turbo is great at keeping the noise down. It will just sound like a jet turbine at full stick.

What about pipes that come out in front of the rear tire on the side?

Dunno about the laws where you live, but in Australia iirc the exhaust pipe must be at least 20cm behind the door. I've checked, the z31 doesn't even come close. I'm still going to do it though. :smile:

3 inch too big or too small?

For turbo cars, because the backpressure is already huge anyway in the exhaust manifold, you don't need to worry about the size of your exhaust being too big really. The bigger the better, but keep in mind, the bigger you go, the more your car at idle is going to sound like a ricer fart-can exhaust, even if it isn't.

I hear there's a place in the stock exhaust where the exhaust goes up and over part of the car in the rear(haven't actually looked at it yet), and that's not so good for high velocity flow...Anyone found a way to avoid that bend?

Yep, it's gotta get over the rear axle, but as the other guys have said, as long as it's mandrel bent, it should be fine. Under or over, it's still going to bend, and if it's 2.5" or 3" it's not going to cause hardly any restriction at all.

No worries. Good luck with your exhaust project.

-Mike

redneckshen
05-31-2005, 04:45 AM
my friend has an 84 turbo and we ripped the stock exhaust off a few weeks ago and jus left the downpipe wide open. the car is loud but is sounds mean as hell when hes out cruising around. all you can hear is the turbo spooling.....

stephenp
06-01-2005, 10:48 AM
well mine was 3" off the turbo 90 under car straight back 90 outside straight out loud as hell didnt hit the road it was so loud i swear i was afraid of giving someone a heart attack i put a 3 " muffler inb and it was so quite never had to worry but it was too quite and i never got the chance to change tio a better (louder )exhasut before it toasted but i got a 280 motor coming and a na 300 to bolt turbos to both got the 280 turbo complete with a toasted bottom but i got the motor coming like i said and the 300 motor coming too cant wait till i get one glued together so i can qu9ite driving this damn domestic comaro slugish peice of kawe

anybody want to buy a 89 305 tbi 5 speed camaro rs with complete ground effects very few imperfections electric blue paint new clutch new steering column new bushings throughout new tires fully alluminum 2 1\2" exhaust turbo muffler (turbo ooh lol)
if i dont sell it really soon im dropping my carbed camed 350 in to it
oh and its t tops

Add your comment to this topic!