1994 passport manual transmission removal

okb
05-30-2005, 03:11 AM
How do you seperate the transmission from the engine? Clutch fork holding the release bearing.

Cat Fuzz
05-30-2005, 11:07 AM
I would have thought that the release bearing comes out with the trans.

okb
06-03-2005, 12:02 AM
Ha Ha its attached to the pressure plate which is bolted to the fly wheel. "pull type clutch MUA transmission"

okb
06-08-2005, 12:49 AM
Anyone have any info??

Cat Fuzz
06-08-2005, 09:04 PM
According to my Chilton, you have to remove the flywhel inspection cover and use a long pry bar and pry it loose from the pressure plate.

Remove the 3 flywheel inspection cover bolts.
Use clutch release bearing remover J-39207 or an equivalent pry tool to release the bearing from the pressure plate. Push the release fork towards the rear of the vehicle. Insert the tool between the release bearing and the pressure plate collar. Move the lever to the rear to pry.

When reinstalling, you pry the bearing back into place and you will hear a click when it engages properly.

uncledoug
06-15-2005, 03:51 PM
According to my Chilton, you have to remove the flywhel inspection cover and use a long pry bar and pry it loose from the pressure plate.

When reinstalling, you pry the bearing back into place and you will hear a click when it engages properly.

Anyone know if this applies to a '95 Rodeo, V-6 5sp manual, as well?

Cat Fuzz
06-15-2005, 07:05 PM
Yes, it does.

uncledoug
06-15-2005, 07:17 PM
Yes, it does.

Ah Ha!
Thank you much for the reply!

Any idea what the pry bar looks like?
Could I use a long screw driver?

Thanks again for any info you can provide.

Cat Fuzz
06-15-2005, 09:52 PM
Here's a picture.

http://www.bereanspokane.org/Release%20Bearing.jpg

okb
06-16-2005, 12:28 AM
Thanks cat. I found another way. Remove the pivot pin from the clutch fork then remove the trans, reassemble the clutch fork inside the bellhousing then assemble the trans with the fork and t/o bearing installed in the bellhousing. Once the trans is bolted back to the engine push the t/o bearing into the pressure plate until it snaps into place. This way works perty good for me and dosnt damage the diaphram on the pressure plate.

uncledoug
06-16-2005, 11:48 AM
Right on!

You guys just saved my backside. :grinyes:

Have a great weekend!!!!!

-Doug

Cat Fuzz
06-16-2005, 03:37 PM
Right on!

You guys just saved my backside. :grinyes:

Have a great weekend!!!!!

-Doug

Cool. :bigthumb:

uncledoug
06-18-2005, 12:44 PM
Well, all the help has been great!

But now I seem to not be able to get the release bearing to "snap" into the wedge collar. I'm prying with a very long screwdriver through the round inspection hole in the bottom of the bell housing.

Any ideas/suggestions?

Bobocito
11-02-2005, 07:33 PM
Your ideas urgently needed.
I have the same problem as uncledoug...trying to get the bearing to seat back in place. I have pried quite a bit and am afraid I could bend the fork if I try using more leverage or hammering.
Same lack of results trying to move the other end of the fork, through the slave cyl. inspection port.
Just so I know how this works, when the bearing is "clicked home", is the fork then very hard to move, as it is now actuating the clutch?
Thanks,
Sean in Michigan

Add your comment to this topic!