Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

87 f-150 no spark

boardsilly
05-29-2005, 07:08 PM
k ... just picked up a 1987 F-150 2-wheel drive fuel injected 5L half-ton ... the other day it worked beautifully and i went out to start it and it wouldn't fire up ... turns over but won't fire.
i changed the rotor and cap and put new plug wires on it - no difference - 'cept now the battery was dead from me tryin'.
tested for spark by:
1) pulling off one wire and stuck a screw driver in the end and grounded to chassis and had a friend turn it over ... nothing at all ... no spark
2) pulling wire off of coil and jumping a wire to closest bracket that's grounded and same thing - no spark

I checked the fuse - it's good
I checked for modules / wires that may be disconnected - nothing obvious
I pulled the module from the clutch and jumped the connectors witha piece of wire - no difference
I tried a new coil - same thing

any ideas ... i'm extrememly far from being a mechanic so i'm kind of bewildered

thanks

OSUCowboy27
05-31-2005, 03:02 PM
Any fuel pressure when cranking? If no pressure and no spark while cranking, then your problem is either crank or cam position sensor. Your truck will have either one or the other. They can be taken off and tested.

boardsilly
05-31-2005, 06:23 PM
Any fuel pressure when cranking? If no pressure and no spark while cranking, then your problem is either crank or cam position sensor. Your truck will have either one or the other. They can be taken off and tested.

uhhh ... how do I check for fuel pressure?

I get the feeling I'm in over my head

Thanks.

way2old
05-31-2005, 06:48 PM
Look closely at the ignition module on the side of the diatributor. They are a known failure item.

mustangmike351c
05-31-2005, 10:54 PM
the 87 didnt have a crank or cam sensor. have the ignition module tested

tnash
06-02-2005, 11:16 PM
i not sure but if you have a fuel shut off switch
it all so kills the spark for safety purposes. it located on the passagener kick panel . I know thats what happened to my 99 f150

boardsilly
06-03-2005, 12:38 AM
i'm going to try the ignition module first ... but i heard that a special tool is required to remove it.

is that true?

what is the tool?

thanks

way2old
06-03-2005, 07:07 AM
A long 5.5mm socket. You need to loosen the distributor to access the screws. Mark the distributor carefylly before you move it. When you replace module, be sure you move distributor EXACTLY wher it was previously. Good luck.

james6969
06-09-2005, 08:56 PM
just went truogh the same thing ended up need new relay and pick up coil located under the distributor

Add your comment to this topic!