Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Kick panels

Mar424
05-29-2005, 05:01 PM
OK, right now I have a 1986 Cutlass Supreme. I blew my front speakers, which i think are 3", but im not sure. Anyway right now the speakers are in the dash firing staright up towars the windshield. Now when they blew out I figured I will just make kick panels and put 6.5" coaxials instead of new 3".

Now which way should I am the kick panels? I read somewhere "aim them towards the center of the car", and I've also heard "aim them towards each ther".

Which way do I aim them? How much of a differnce should I hear going from 3" to 6.5" and from dash to kick panels?

UndercoverPunk
05-30-2005, 02:04 AM
Aim them at your feet, most car speakers are ment to be pointed that way.

The differance should be large if you do it right...

PaulD
05-30-2005, 08:05 AM
when you install kickpanel speakers, you aim them up at the dome light (where the rear view mirror is)

balls_to_the_wall
05-30-2005, 08:52 AM
Kinda off topic...What is the best way to aim my CDT ef-61 components to get the best imaging out of them (in kickpanels)

Thanks

-Ryan

Mar424
05-30-2005, 11:06 AM
ok, undercover punk says aim them at my feet, which basically is aiming them at each other.

PaulD says aim them at the dome light

both oof you are saying different things, do you of a website i can goto that talks about aiming, and NOT how to make kick panels?

alphalanos
05-30-2005, 11:10 AM
you should aim them just slightly up and towards the center of the front seats, think about it. your car stereo is supposed to be equal sounding. but, youre in the front more often . so aim them right at the space between the front seats.

Mar424
05-30-2005, 11:43 AM
alright, thankyou

UndercoverPunk
05-30-2005, 12:43 PM
if you're using CDT's or speakers that are designed as such, you DO NOT want them aimed anywhere near your head or they will sound paintfully bad.
CDT's need to be aimed at your feet, and them maybe slightly up.

Those are the only speakers I have experience with aiming, listen to paul D for everything else...

aznxthuggie
05-30-2005, 02:02 PM
you dont aim the cdts are ur feet

if you're putting them in kicks, aim them (the tweeter and the mid) at the dome light

what kind of idiot makes kick panels to aim speakers at your feet?

hell i even have a picture that cdt sent me, and they show their speakers in kicks aimed at the dome light

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v354/aznxthuggie/Domelight-aimed-spkr.gif

aznxthuggie
05-30-2005, 02:04 PM
and that is the best way to mount speakers in kick panels

yes i've tried it, and yes i've seen award winning installs have their speakers installed that way

i dont want to sound like a dick, but you're pointing that guy in the wrong direction

balls_to_the_wall
05-30-2005, 02:34 PM
Well, I got undercover to respond, wheres NG?

Thanks for your input

-Ryan

Mar424
05-30-2005, 05:37 PM
Now that I know where to aim them. Can I just modify the existing kick panels? Or is there another way of making them besides using fiberglass?

UndercoverPunk
05-30-2005, 05:38 PM
All I know is I aimed CDTs up and they sounded like SHIT, complete... unbelieveable SHIT.

The mid frequencies drowned out all midbass and it was painfull to listen to...
I re-built them fascing eachother alot more and they sound great.

But apparantly I'm a dumbass...

CBFryman
05-30-2005, 08:23 PM
ok, undercover punk says aim them at my feet, which basically is aiming them at each other.

PaulD says aim them at the dome light

both oof you are saying different things, do you of a website i can goto that talks about aiming, and NOT how to make kick panels?

listen to paul....he is 1000 years old and was there when the cave man first make the circle, then he took some coper wire, wraped it around the circle, then atached a flat rick and put it in that magical rock that sticks to iron, then he applied mane made lightning to it and made sound :lol2: ....
thomas edison stole the sound reproduction idea from paul

lol...

i dont have but one experence with installing CDT's and they where in the stock location...which is aiming at each other....and they sounded good.... and if Undercover said his CDT's sounded like ass being aimed at the dome light, then i would trust him...however i have heard set ups with kickpanels aiming at the dome light where i had previously heard them in the stock location and it raised and even out, left to right wise, the sound stage.

balls_to_the_wall
05-31-2005, 08:19 AM
I am going to go with Undercover's experience on this one here....

aznxthuggie
05-31-2005, 11:13 AM
well.. i went from the speakers facing eachother, to facing the dome light, and back to them facing eachother, i put them back because the kicks i made took up too much space

and they sounded best when they were facing the dome light

hell cdt even told me it will sound good that way and gave me that picture to work off

but i guess everyone has their own preference

PaulD
05-31-2005, 02:46 PM
I used the premade kickpods ... they point up towards the rear view mirror. I am using CDT HD-52's - I can assure you, they do not sound like ass. Give me an hour or two with my spectrum analyzer and an EQ, I gaurantee I can fix most of you "ass" sounds.

Mannyb18b
05-31-2005, 03:01 PM
are those pre-mades sealed?

Mar424
05-31-2005, 04:23 PM
is there another way to make kick panels besides fiberglass?

UndercoverPunk
05-31-2005, 08:39 PM
I'm talking plug and play, as I was assuming he wouldn't be using and advanced active equiptment.

They way you're talking... of course you'd point them up.

PaulD
06-01-2005, 09:43 AM
They are not sealed

You can make kick panels out of anything you want, it's just hard to form most materials like you can fiberglass.

I'm not using "advanced" equipment in the install itself, just the passives that came with them, a 12 band EQ and the xover in the amp. The RTA is just a device used to tune .... most installations require equalization because of the cars' harsh environment.

ngsm13
06-01-2005, 01:18 PM
They are not sealed

You can make kick panels out of anything you want, it's just hard to form most materials like you can fiberglass.

I'm not using "advanced" equipment in the install itself, just the passives that came with them, a 12 band EQ and the xover in the amp. The RTA is just a device used to tune .... most installations require equalization because of the cars' harsh environment.

Well..sealed DOES make a difference Paul...you know that (At least I bet you do...).

NG

CBFryman
06-01-2005, 07:50 PM
do i hear $5?
lmao.

as a side note:
i MAY be purchasing my amp next payday (friday) but we will have to see, there is a pretty good deal i have my eye on right now. cheaper than 275 shipped with a 1year non-factory warranty.

UndercoverPunk
06-01-2005, 08:23 PM
I picked up some new equiptment today.... I'll be doing a FULL rebuild of my frontstage, new FG and everything...
I'll experiment with the old pods and the onboard 13 band EQ to see if I can get them to sound "oh so", I have no RTA however...

Should be a good time!

PaulD
06-02-2005, 12:04 PM
sealed makes a difference in the lower frequencies ...... I thought about it at the time. It will also change the sound, especially if the box is way too small.

Add your comment to this topic!