Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

300zx or stealth r/t

icon7zero
05-29-2005, 01:16 PM
Ok so I see this ad for a 1990 300zx auto with 69,000 miles for $5500. Sounds awesome right? Well I drove about an hour and a half to go see this car, and when I get there I find out the dumbass messed up on the ad and he actually wants $7900 for it (this is at a small dealership). Well I drove it and it was awesome. Had aftermarket exhaust that just purred like a 350. It had a few issues though: driver side mirror rattled like no other, there was a nice scratch where someone keyed it, and there was this big ol' rip on the back of the driver seat. Well at this point I can't spend anymore than $7000 so I tell the guy I'll get back to him blah blah blah.

So on the way out I notice this hot red car sitting at a lot not to far away. I drive over and look at it. It's a 95 dodge stealth r/t auto with 124,000 miles on it. So I drove it and it drives like it's brand new, and the carfax for it is awesome. The interior and exterior are both perfect, no scratches or dings at all. But it also had a few problems: Crack on windshield, driver side window doesn't work, pop out roof doesn't work, and the buttons for the horn are missing. The guy says $5500 as is or $6500 if he fixes everything.

Now my question is, should I try and work the price down on the 300zx and buy it, or save me some money and go for the stealth? Keep in mind they both have a 222 hp engine and a few non-mechanical problems. So it's pretty much a matter of mileage and price on this one. Thanks guys.

illegal_eagle187
05-31-2005, 05:27 PM
95 dodge stealth for 5500 with those problems, no way...thats a little too much, but for the nissan, i would talk that guy way down from 7900 to down to like 5000, cuz thats about the going price of non turbo Z's around here

RightWingZionist
05-31-2005, 08:22 PM
"...and when I get there I find out the dumbass messed up on the ad and he actually wants $7900 for it (this is at a small dealership)..."
LOL you're being had.
It's a 16 year old car. Not worth it at all. You'll have problems dude.
If you wanna spend $7k there are a lot of better cars in private ads. Or go to a dealer auction if you can, though I don't think you can find these two specific sports models.

I use classifieds.yahoo.com, autotrader.com, and cars.com. I don't know of anything else that doesn't use one of the search engines above.
Make sure you research the model years by using epenions.com, carsurvey.org, jdpower.com, alldata.com, and autos.msn.com.

DON'T JUMP INTO IT!

Here's one I found for you its far from you though
http://autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=180095631&dealer_id=1390288&car_year=1992&search_type=used&make=DODGE&model=STEAL&transmission=&make3=NISSAN&distance=75&address=68803&make2=MIT&only_price=1&advanced=y&certified=&model3=300ZXTURBO&model2=3000GT&max_mileage=&max_price=8000&sort_type=mileageASC&min_price=1&end_year=2006&color=&start_year=1981&drive=&isp=y&engine=&body_style=COUPE&body_style=HATCH&doors=&fuel=&lang=en&cardist=119
Try a search yourself too.
Im buying a car too upto 7g. Notice on this one carfax also says sold at auction, most good deals you see are bought at auctions. If you can screw the dealer and go to a dealer auction that's what Im ganna do soon.

icon7zero
06-01-2005, 01:26 AM
Hey thanks for the advice and thanks for those websites RightWing.

Ironically I've already seen that ad and it's sold. I hate dealers who put ads on the internet and then when the cars sell they just leave the ad running. I called about a month ago about that 92 stealth and he said it was sold that day. WTF?

Yea anyways I'm just gunna be patient and wait for a good deal. I know exactly what I want, one of these three: 300zx, 3000GT, or a Stealth. I would like a 5 speed and for it to have under 75k miles. So i'm just going to wait and check the ads online about every week. (more like everyday)

Oh and btw, I only live about 2 hours away from Omaha, so not too far away.

spaminator
06-01-2005, 01:37 AM
The big problem with 3000gt/stealth twins is that with a 5 speed the clutch isn't very strong at all and the interior is cheesy plastic. that falls apart easily. also there isn't very much aftermarket support.

icon7zero
06-01-2005, 08:22 PM
That's good to know, I didn't know they had a weak clutch. My first choice would be a 300zx anyways, it's pretty much my dream car. The only reason I've thought about stealths and 3000GTs is because they offer the same amount of power for about the same price. And since 300zx's are so rare and hard to find (around here anyways) I would settle for one of those two if it was a good deal.

bambuko
07-08-2005, 12:51 PM
The 300zx is a better all around car than the 3000GT and Stealth. First of all, the 3000GT and Stealth have the same motor (Mitsubishi engine). Nissan's VG motor, however, is more reliable and is a more durable engine. The Z will outhandle both cars as well, plus it looks tighter. Just wait for the deal on a Z, you'll be much happier, trust me.

Add your comment to this topic!