Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

SRT-4 Turbo setup on a 2k3?

95_GS_5Spd
05-28-2005, 05:50 PM
Has anyone tried, or known anyone else that tried, using a complete turbo setup from an SRT-4 seeing as how they both use the 4g64? I've come to believe that since they both use the same platform, the turbo kit should bolt right in without any problems. Now, here is where I'm NOT sure. Does the SRT-4 have a MAF sensor? If so, shouldn't one be able to use the stock computer from the SRT to make everything work together perfectly? If not, then what would be the easiest way to reprogram the 2k3 to accept the changes? I was figuring that I could buy a complete setup for $500 or less, use everything that is used on the SRT, and then just upgrade the wastegate and BOV with Mopar Performance parts. I dunno...just seemed like the easiest alternative. Another thing: I know that the manifold from a 4g63 will fit our heads, but I believe there are clearance issues with the A/C. Now, my question on this one is as follows: Since the Evo has the engine on the Pass. side, wouldn't a kit from one fit perfect versus the drivers side kit on a GSX? Any and all info on these issues would be greatly appreciated. I'm ready to turbo mine, but I also have a 95 GS that I sink the majority of my money into, so I would like to go economical on my 2k3.

drdisque
05-28-2005, 06:37 PM
the SRT4 Does NOT use the 4G64

eclipsed4utoo
05-28-2005, 07:11 PM
the SRT4 Does NOT use the 4G64

:agreed: the SRT4 uses a mopar motor. the engine code is A853 and A855.

95_GS_5Spd
05-28-2005, 07:14 PM
Ok, so I was mislead...no problem. But, that doesn't change any of my questions...any answers to the entirety would be a MAJOR help since I have NO knowledge on the 4g64. All I've ever really built are Audi/VW, Honda, and the much hated 420a

eclipsed4utoo
05-28-2005, 07:21 PM
yes an Evo turbo manifold will bolt up. you will need to get a twin scroll turbo to run with that manifold. ive heard that the twin scroll wont work very well with the 4G64, but i havent seen any evidence that it wont

yes the 2G manifold does have clearance issues with the AC.

95_GS_5Spd
05-28-2005, 07:26 PM
ok, that's not a problem I guess. I'm just weighing all of my options. I'm still leaning toward the SRT setup if it will work since I can get all upgrade components right at my local Dodge dealer. I just think it would be an easier task to change everything out for the dodge parts and upgrade to the stage 4 levels and be able to tear most people up with all stock pieces. Plus I know that a wet-shot and the stage 4 system work VERY well together since my friend has an SRT (This is where I will be getting the stock manifold, turbo, dp, wg, bov, i/c, etc...)

eclipsed4utoo
05-28-2005, 07:31 PM
the only problem i would see with that would be the stock manifold. im not sure that would fit. im not going to say that it cant fit, but i dont see a good chance of it fitting. but good luck trying if you decide to go that way. the other parts seem to be just standard turbo parts. none of them seem to be 'car' specific. you might want to check the dimensions of the IC to make sure it will fit with the 3G front bumper.

i am also guessing that you will be getting new IC piping done?

drdisque
05-28-2005, 07:57 PM
the SRT4 manifold, despite not bolting up to a 4G64, is also aimed the wrong way. The SRT4 engine has the exhaust manifold in the back so the manifold is shaped like an S (remember the SRT4 has an integral turbo to the manifold). The 4G64, with its exhaust manifold in the front, needs a manifold/turbo/downpipe shaped like a C.

95_GS_5Spd
05-28-2005, 08:43 PM
ok, now see that's the kind of info that I'm looking for. Like I said, this is my first time messing with a 4g64, so I know nothing about it. So, it looks like an Evo kit will fit alot better. Not a problem. I'll just look for the parts and put it together. Now, would it be a good idea to go with something like a Vortech FMU, or would an electronic unit with turbo timer work better? Also, should I go with something that is internally wastegated or go with external with some kind of fuel management system and manual boost controller? If someone could take the time to write me with the BEST system and proper settings etc, I would greatly appreciate it. I'm no expert mechanic, I'm just a regular guy who happens to know the basics about TCing a car. Thanks VERY MUCH for all the help that you have given so far.

eclipsed4utoo
05-29-2005, 12:23 AM
just to let you know, there are turbo kits that are made for the 4G64. i dont want you to think that you have to get a kit from another car and have to make it work.

as for the BEST system, that will probably be somewhat of an opinion answer. if it was me, i would go external wastegate, Emanage(AEM EMS if you have the money and have the 5 spd), and a manual boost controller.

the settings will differ from car to car. even if you have two exact same cars, the tuning on both cars will be different. so the tuning settings you will probably have to do those yourself(if thats what you are talking about)

Add your comment to this topic!