Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

The clutch slipping after already driving in gear??

GSXracerGuy
05-28-2005, 11:19 AM
Hey guys. My clutch has been slipping lately...it's old obviously and IS going to wear away eventually obviously...and that's now. When I drive it even decently hard...it slips a little in first and then I shift in to second and it slips completely and the car does nothing...

If I drive slow it works alright...but I need to know if clutches slip when you're in gear. Something makes me say that I once read somewhere that clutches can slip when you're going "fast" (on a highway) in a high gear....it makes sense since just lke on a bike....lets say you are in a high gear...there is a lot more force going around that back gear because it is smaller...and since there is more force...with a weak clutch, it is able to slip..

So is it possible for clutches to slip when you're highway driving or accelerating when rpm's are low and weak??? I need to know!!

Thanks a lot

joemathews
06-03-2005, 01:15 AM
No, they're not supposed to. It will be time for a new clutch soon. If you're still on your factory clutch with 87k miles, you're doing great IMO. If the next one lasts you as long, you'll be set for quite a while.

If you have plans for a turbo upgrade in the future, consider an ACT 2100 or other aftermarket clutch.

GSXracerGuy
06-03-2005, 10:08 AM
I bought an ACT 2600 today

GSXracerGuy
06-03-2005, 10:09 AM
What does IMO stand for? I bought an ACT 2600 today from a friend with his new tranny... I am trying to find someone who will put it on for cheap WITH a warranty..that's not easy...hopefully this one doesn't go "GRRINRINFSOINNNENEEERZZRR" when I let off the gas and let the engine slow down the car.

joemathews
06-03-2005, 02:21 PM
IMO stands for "In My Opinion". IMHO is "In My Humble (or Honest) Opinion".

Just to let you know, I personally don't plan to put a 2600 in my car (even though it is awd), because there seems to be an unusually high instance of crankwalk in cars with 2600s. This is just a trend I have noticed in my time on the forums, and talking to DSMers. That 500lb. difference in pressure from the 2100 is not worth the risk, IMO ;)

Now, by no means is installing that clutch a kill shot to your car. You could be fine for the life of the clutch/car. BUT, if you were one of the guys who got one of the poorly machined cranks from a bad batch of Mitsu 2g cranks, it could instigate crankwalk to emerge, if nothing else has yet.

Just my :2cents:--perhaps others will include theirs.

GSXracerGuy
06-03-2005, 05:03 PM
What clutch should I get??? I need to know I am moving on tuesday.

Add your comment to this topic!