Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Back Window Shattered on '04 Quest

2kids2beagles
05-27-2005, 08:05 PM
I wondered if anyone else has had this problem. Today my Quest was sitting in the garage when out of the blue the back window "exploded". I have no idea why or how this happened. I called the dealership right away and they said we'll have to drive it in and then they'll determine whether it's warrantable. Has anyone else had this happen?

chubbybubba1
06-04-2005, 11:29 PM
I would be shocked if they warranty that. Let us know.

2kids2beagles
06-05-2005, 11:12 PM
Believe it or not, they did warranty it and they fixed it right away. They were just as puzzled as we were about how it happened but they did cover it under the warranty.

Phil Mikesell
07-05-2005, 07:53 AM
I wanted to say that the exact same thing happened to us this past weekend. It was sitting in the driveway on a hot day, I had the back left window open on a short trip that morning then closed it when we were home. My wife went out to the van about 90 min later, and the window was shattered. There was no apparent cause for this. No projectile, inside or out. A neighbor had been outside and saw and heard nothing. I was sitting inside with the windows open and heard nothing. It is my opinion (not being an automotive expert) that it was due to some defect in the glass. We're taking it to the dealer this AM, and are optimistic that it will be handled without cost to us. All the glass was in pieces about 1/4 inch by 1/4 inch, all the way to the outside of the pane of glass.

2kids2beagles
07-05-2005, 10:47 AM
That's exactly what happened with ours. The entire back window shattered and the glass in the middle popped out onto the driveway. The glass on the driveway was jumping like Mexican jumping beans -- it was so strange. I personally think it's a defect, too.

Phil Mikesell
07-05-2005, 06:35 PM
My wife took it to the dealer today, and they said they warranty glass to 12 months, 12K miles. Because ours is about 18 months, 20K miles, they say they're not responsible, and they've not received a service advisory (or something like that) from Nissan, so we're responsible for the $402 or so it will take to repair it. How old was yours when this happened? Any advice?

mwebber78
07-07-2005, 10:36 AM
My wife took it to the dealer today, and they said they warranty glass to 12 months, 12K miles. Because ours is about 18 months, 20K miles, they say they're not responsible, and they've not received a service advisory (or something like that) from Nissan, so we're responsible for the $402 or so it will take to repair it. How old was yours when this happened? Any advice?

I would call Nissan's Customer service themselves and remind them that this minivan had the worst JD Power initial quality report on any van on the market, that they (Nissan) had to vendor out to new suppliers becuase the ones they had made poor quality components and even Nissan of Japan had to send engineers to assist in imporving the quality from the Canton Plant. Also, they increased the warrenty coverage becuase of all the above. I would politely remind them that if they want to retain customers they should shell out 400$ themselves, or at least go 50/50 on products that fail to stand up to normal usage. If they don't pay, consider having your insurance company pick up the tab , you will only pay your deductable............. I have an 04' and I love the van itself, but the thing is horribly put together, the doors stick to the seals unless I spray silicone on the gaskets and the thing rattles like a sardine can (despite foam, etc)

Add your comment to this topic!