Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

need help from nissan buffs

chexmixa
05-27-2005, 04:46 PM
Welp as you know the Srt-4 is gone, so i need a new turbo car.

I have been looken at nissans to slam a SR20DET into.
I have narrowed the search down to 240sx, sentra, and 200sx.

Now my question for you guys is, whats the diff betweem s13, s14, and s15?

also whats the easyest of all those to swap?

TatII
05-27-2005, 07:13 PM
i thought you bought the focus and that you would never buy any car thats older then like 5 years old?

anyways back to the subject. the difference between the S13-S14 and S15 SR20DET is the hp and other random stuff

S13 red/black top= 205hp 205? tq. it has a T25 turbo good for a maximum of 250whp with all the supporting mods. it comes with 370cc injectors that maxs out around the same hp as the turbo does. has a high port head so it flows better then the newer SR's.

S14 blacktop SR20DET = 220hp 205tq. this one has a larger T28 turbo good for around 280-290whp. the engine is a different design, it has a different intake manifold, a low port head that doesn't flow as good, however it makes up for it by having variable cam timing which really helps downlow before the turbo kicks in. it still runs on the 370cc injectors.

S15 SR20DEt = 250hp 205tq. a real S15 with a S15 SR run's high 13's stock. it also comes with the larger T28 turbo but i think the wheel is made of a different material so it will spool even faster, it has 480cc injectors which are good for just alittle over 300whp. other then that, its basically the same engine as the S14 SR. it also comes with a 6 speed tranny.

they all fit the same but its easier to these engines into a 91+ body style 240. but even the 89-90 models are not hard since its practically a direct bolt in. only the accesories and certain lines don't bolt up quit right.

any of these cars can be made to go pretty fast. its really how much you want to spend. with a sentra or 200SX it has more of a sleeperness to them.

CassiesMan
05-27-2005, 08:18 PM
Get the S14 or S15, they are the best looking...

clawhammer
05-27-2005, 09:40 PM
So what happened with the Focus?

CassiesMan
05-27-2005, 10:23 PM
Maybe he realized handling isn't all its cracked up to be when your not that fast...at least not as fast as the SRT-4.

uranium235powered
05-27-2005, 11:23 PM
Just wondering, but isn't the Sentra front wheel drive? Can the SR20DET just drop in?

TatII
05-28-2005, 12:02 AM
they have FWD SR20DET's. and those in my opinion are better engines. they have 4 individual throttle bodies and still turbo.

chexmixa
05-28-2005, 03:42 AM
well, the focus is gunna cost ALOT more to make as fast as the Srt-4.

I can easily get a sentra, 240sx, or a 200sx. for under 1k and swap a sr20det in there for under 2k. I have heard the sr20det is a tank, so it should be pretty easy to beef up.

Ford is extremely strict on thier warrenties, i allready installed stiffer springs and put some stickyer tires and nicer rims on the foci. I took her in because i was missing a piece of the interior and they threatened to cancel my warrenty because of the springs.

Modding out an old nissan will be alot more cheaper cause
1. i don't have a warrenty to worry about.
2. it can be made ALOT faster. I gotta chase the Srt-4 speed.

-The Stig-
05-28-2005, 03:57 AM
I'd got for a '96+ S14 myself... pretty looking cars in stock form.

With just wheels, with a bit of a dished lip... mmm sex!

EDIT: Also, the KA-T is pretty strong too... either motor makes decent power for their sizes. And either way you go, it'd be a fun car.

drftk1d
05-28-2005, 02:58 PM
i love s14's but they are hard to find around here with manual trans.

CassiesMan
05-28-2005, 03:02 PM
Ford is extremely strict on thier warrenties, i allready installed stiffer springs and put some stickyer tires and nicer rims on the foci. I took her in because i was missing a piece of the interior and they threatened to cancel my warrenty because of the springs.

Thats when you tell Ford about the Magsun Moss warrenty act, and that unless they can directly attirbute a problem to any non Ford approved or installed aftermarket parts, they can stuff their threats.

chexmixa
05-28-2005, 04:50 PM
Thats when you tell Ford about the Magsun Moss warrenty act, and that unless they can directly attirbute a problem to any non Ford approved or installed aftermarket parts, they can stuff their threats.

thats when they hand you back you money you payed for your warrenty and tell me to leave. I used to think toyota was bad, Ford is even worse.

The only dealer i never really had trouble with was dodge. Every time i would pull up into the dealership they wanted to know how the stage 1 was treaten me.

-The Stig-
05-28-2005, 05:43 PM
wasn't the stage 1 a factory installed kit?

TheStang00
05-28-2005, 06:07 PM
would a zetec have been cheaper to make faster? just curious. lol have u seen that guy that dropped a 302 in his focus... you should do that

CassiesMan
05-28-2005, 06:38 PM
thats when they hand you back you money you payed for your warrenty and tell me to leave. I used to think toyota was bad, Ford is even worse.

Really? I gave the MMWA "threat" to BMW once (wouldn't change the oil cuz of the non-Dinan CAI), and they haven't given me shit since.

chexmixa
05-29-2005, 03:57 AM
would a zetec have been cheaper to make faster? just curious. lol have u seen that guy that dropped a 302 in his focus... you should do that

would of been more, on top of that doen things this way means i can have a daily driver, and just take the built car for lil run once and a while.

-The Stig-
05-29-2005, 04:20 AM
So you're planning on keeping the Focus? And building up a 'toy' car?

Not a bad plan if you ask me. Best way to go really. Sure the 'race car' maybe down longer at times, cause you don't need it to be running everyday. But that means you can spend more on upgrades and taking your time to get it right. Which in the end will make it a faster car, and you'll be happier with your investment.

:thumbsup:

chexmixa
05-29-2005, 02:39 PM
So you're planning on keeping the Focus? And building up a 'toy' car?

Not a bad plan if you ask me. Best way to go really. Sure the 'race car' maybe down longer at times, cause you don't need it to be running everyday. But that means you can spend more on upgrades and taking your time to get it right. Which in the end will make it a faster car, and you'll be happier with your investment.

:thumbsup:

Yeah, keeping the focus means

A) i can take as long as i want on building the car
B) it doesn't have to be street legal.

TheStang00
05-29-2005, 08:49 PM
C) cheaper insurance

nissanfanatic
05-30-2005, 02:24 AM
... or S15, they are the best looking...

yea.....:rolleyes:

Even consider CA18? Cheap engines that can put out some power too. Just to let you know, a 240 with 300whp is fast. Any one of these engines will make quite a fun car. Personally, if I had another 240 layin around, I'd do a CA swap for a daily driver.

drftk1d
05-30-2005, 12:34 PM
imo, a ca18 is a waste of time if you start with the ka24de. you lose a whole 6/10's of a liter when you could just keep it and turbo that, and get more power/torque overall. i would only swap if i had a 89 or 90 s13.

nissanfanatic
05-30-2005, 03:38 PM
KA-Ts aren't as easy as they are made out to be now. Requires a lot of work before it actually drives well IMO. ECU is the biggest problem I can think of right off as the fuel and timing maps are setup for a NA engine. Timing being the biggest problem. Not saying it isn't a great route that will be a lot of fun, just saying that on average, a swap is going to be easier.

And KA's are very finnikey to tuning. They pop like balloons if you don't tune well. And timing is a pita. I know people who adjusted by the book to 15*BTDC and come to find out that it was actually set at stock 20*BTDC after verifying with a techtom...

TatII
05-30-2005, 08:41 PM
KA-Ts aren't as easy as they are made out to be now. Requires a lot of work before it actually drives well IMO. ECU is the biggest problem I can think of right off as the fuel and timing maps are setup for a NA engine. Timing being the biggest problem. Not saying it isn't a great route that will be a lot of fun, just saying that on average, a swap is going to be easier.

And KA's are very finnikey to tuning. They pop like balloons if you don't tune well. And timing is a pita. I know people who adjusted by the book to 15*BTDC and come to find out that it was actually set at stock 20*BTDC after verifying with a techtom...

ahah that person you were refering to is me!! anyways yeah, the engine is strong if its tuned right, but it also blows from big mistakes. i was lucky i wasn't running alot of boost so i got away with the mistake that i made.

chexmixa
05-31-2005, 02:39 AM
Welp, i just purchased myself an old ass 88 gray supra for 300 bux. It has a blown engine, but it has a brand new clutch and transmission. Now all i have to do is find a gently used 7mgte for cheap.

-The Stig-
05-31-2005, 03:24 AM
... you asked us all this Nissan technical jargin.. and you go and slap us in the face by buying a Toyota.

What a little cockfag!

Kidding, sweet! I've seen one of those at a Supra meet with a 7m swapped in. It didn't have a whole lot done to it and the guy was claiming around 350whp. It was cool, I like that 80's boxy coupe/hatch look.

It screams 80s... now all you need is a jean jacket with the Scorpians 'World Wide Live' concert tshirt from 1985 that you haven't washed for fear of breaking up the band! And that single lightning bolt earring. Don't forget the fingerless gloves either, and the jeans with the tattered up knees and the L.A. Gear hightop sneakers. A pair of blue blocker shades and a bit of Aquanet in your rad hair-do. And a Van Halen '1984' casette tape in the deck blairin some 'Panama'.

Dude, you rock.:thumbsup:

xXxRocker5150
05-31-2005, 09:38 AM
It screams 80s... now all you need is a jean jacket with the Scorpians 'World Wide Live' concert tshirt from 1985 that you haven't washed for fear of breaking up the band! And that single lightning bolt earring. Don't forget the fingerless gloves either, and the jeans with the tattered up knees and the L.A. Gear hightop sneakers. A pair of blue blocker shades and a bit of Aquanet in your rad hair-do. And a Van Halen '1984' casette tape in the deck blairin some 'Panama'.

lol hell yea!!!!! what about some crue though man?

TheStang00
05-31-2005, 10:52 AM
sorry guys... the 80's trends sucked balls. i like that car tho

chexmixa
05-31-2005, 12:47 PM
... you asked us all this Nissan technical jargin.. and you go and slap us in the face by buying a Toyota.

What a little cockfag!

Kidding, sweet! I've seen one of those at a Supra meet with a 7m swapped in. It didn't have a whole lot done to it and the guy was claiming around 350whp. It was cool, I like that 80's boxy coupe/hatch look.

Nissan wasn't the only build up i was looken at. I just didn't know enough about it yet.

I allready have a sick ass mullet on the way. i got some sick ass acid washed jeans with holes all over too. And a sleavless poison concert tea.

GritMaster
05-31-2005, 12:49 PM
The only real question here is....

but it has a brand new tranny and transmission.

... How the hell did they manage that?

chexmixa
05-31-2005, 02:14 PM
The only real question here is....

... How the hell did they manage that?

I ment clutch and transmission

nissanfanatic
05-31-2005, 04:19 PM
ahah that person you were refering to is me!! anyways yeah, the engine is strong if its tuned right, but it also blows from big mistakes. i was lucky i wasn't running alot of boost so i got away with the mistake that i made.

Yea.haha

I'm borrowing that techtom to make sure my timing is dialed in too. I have a feeling mine is a lil retarded. Hmm sounds funny. Oh well..

Add your comment to this topic!