Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Your opinion needed about new parts (it will count)

spidereddie
05-27-2005, 12:56 AM
An aquaintance of mine is going to start making some resin parts for 'tuners' and would like to know what people want to see made before they start there research. So just start spitting out anything you guys wish was made for the 1/24's. I plan to forward the link for this thread if and when people start responding.

I for one would love to see the following

engines..

Nissan 350z
Honda s2k
Nissan Silvia s15 (SR20DET)
Mitsubishi Lancer Evo

ICE...

LCD's (in dash or otherwise)
Sub's (particularly the ones you place "upside down" where the back part is facing out while covering the woofer)

other...

A-pillar gauge pods

SchuberT
05-27-2005, 01:02 AM
As long as the price is right..... I'll settle for just about anything :P

nis.k.a.
05-27-2005, 01:24 AM
Number 1 on the engine list should be the SR20DET.

I like your ideas on misc. things.

I like the idea of fender flares for specific kits (i.e.- S2K, 350Z, 180SX etc.)

bhop73
05-27-2005, 01:45 AM
Stock wing, side skirts, and bumpers for the Revell Eclipse (97-99 version) Or maybe a Talon conversion?

cj_baller13
05-27-2005, 03:57 AM
universal sideskirts so they will fit on pretty much anythin with some triming, i agree with the up side down subs too.

drnitrus
05-27-2005, 07:07 AM
s2k engine for sure.
scaled drag wheels and slicks for use with fwd imports. there really isnt much like that around.

mike@af
05-27-2005, 07:47 AM
As far as engines is he recasting the ones that you can buy? Like the Sakatsu F20? and the Tamiya R32 SR?

He needs to get licensing from all of those companies for all of those things if thats the case. Otherwise its illegal reproduction, like burning CD's.

Fusionrr
05-27-2005, 08:42 AM
turbo's, s/c, bonent vents/ducts, air filters, strut braces, 180sx/rx-7 pop up light assemblies, ferrari transkits.........

white97ex
05-27-2005, 09:12 AM
laptop computer

rsxse240
05-27-2005, 09:49 AM
Stock wing, side skirts, and bumpers for the Revell Eclipse (97-99 version) Or maybe a Talon conversion?

^^^I agree^^^

the R32 was not an SR, rather an RB, it is a 6 cylinder. as far as I know there is NO SR20DE(-T) on the market.

here are my thoughts.

turbos, turbo manifolds, intercoolers (good ones that are well engraved), tires for the R/M honda wheels, filters.

there are enough wings on the market, so you'll have to be pretty original for that to work to your advantage.

how about some generic body kits that can be adapted to any model. I don't want to chop up my veilside silvia for a bumper for my mustang.

drunken monkey
05-27-2005, 09:51 AM
As far as engines is he recasting the ones that you can buy? Like the Sakatsu F20? and the Tamiya R32 SR?

He needs to get licensing from all of those companies for all of those things if thats the case. Otherwise its illegal reproduction, like burning CD's.

...and that's what we call "pissing on the parade"
:naughty:
but it's a good point.
if it gets out of hand, it's gonna get attention.

incidentally, what resin do you use to cast your own parts?
i've only ever used the two part clear set stuff but that strikes me as being a bit brittle (or is that just my mix ratio being not quite right?)

tonioseven
05-27-2005, 10:02 AM
Number 1 on the engine list should be the SR20DET.

I'd buy 5 if they existed!!:sunglasse

PatRedmond
05-27-2005, 10:16 AM
A-pillar gauge pods

I second that...

2.2 Straight six
05-27-2005, 10:47 AM
how's he gonna make a 350z engine ? it the entine chassis is moulded oune piece with the lower skid-plate in place ?

spidereddie
05-27-2005, 12:35 PM

NO. This peson has friends in the 1:1 industry who lend real car parts for reference use. I think I would have mentioned that he was 're-casting' or planning to steal other people's property. Thanks for your "concern" however.

freakray
05-27-2005, 12:42 PM
laptop computer

Already available from Tamiya in the rally mechanic set.

Future Boy
05-27-2005, 03:39 PM
The Toyota 4AGE engine. People always want one for their AE86's, and could be used in othe cars like MR2's.

Probably never happen, but I could use some Goodyear Eagle GT tires, and a PRV V6 engine :D And a fastback conversion kit for Revell's 85 Fiero GT!

phatmitsu
05-28-2005, 12:16 AM
Already available from Tamiya in the rally mechanic set.

Also available in a few of the new amt custom kits like the mercury.

blubaja
05-28-2005, 12:26 AM
Aww come on guys...EJ20 and any other subaru motor. Please. Please. And full skyline engine.

Frank X.

willimo
05-28-2005, 10:54 AM
80% of the stuff mentioned exists already in some form. The S2000 motor, the 4AGE are both made by Sakatsu (and if you guys think a resin version of the white metal kit will boe any cheaper, especially after development costs) ya'll are fooling yourselves. Upside down subs and things like that are available as well, I think from Pegasus. If you're really hurting, you can get a RB26 out of the Tamiya kit and cast it yourself as many times as you like - it's legal for personal use. Same goes for A-pillar guage pods out of the 92-95 Civic kit. Someone already makes turbos, and they aren't hard to scratchbuild, neither are intercoolers - it's cheaper and probably easier to scratch an intercooler than it would be to buy and clean up a resin one - plus, you can make it whatever size you like. A one-size-fits-all IC would not work. Universal sideskirts, maybe, but I have a hard time beleiving they will work, and there is no way a universal body kit would work at all, it would be as much work to modify it and use it as it would be to just make it 100% scratch. Beleive me.

The SR20 and the EJ20 are the on only two things mentioned here that are marketable, then you fall into the "if the price is right trap" where you'll find the most vocal supporters of certain aftermarket parts are the ones willing to spend the least amount of money.

Good intentions, but silly thread. Tell your buddy to just master what he wants and offer them for sale. Maybe later he can start asking what other people want and producing according to response. I'd bet my dollar that whatever he makes for himself will have a market, be more interesting, and more lucrative to start with than "universal body kits."

MidMazar
05-29-2005, 01:02 AM
Motors
sr20det (sylvia)
vr6 (VW)

Etc
M3 MIRRORS (i know aoshima makes them but i don't want to buy the whole kit with seats and pod)
INTAKE FILTERS, (larger than the ones out of the revell kits with different designs)
SCOOPS/AIR DAMS
M3 SIDE VENTS/GRILLS in fenders(different shapes also)
MOMO SEATS/STEERING WHEELS
TV SCREENS/DVD in DASH with Flip screen
A universal kit not the whole bodykit but skirts (longer than you average model) and front and rear valances (longer than normal so they can be cut and reduced to fit)

Also i havent really seen any good 4-5inch round speakers for the doors, i have seen some 6x9 but they seem way out of scale.

Michele Richter
05-29-2005, 09:18 AM
:feedback: Hey there everyone!
My name is Michele and my husband is Jason. We cast resin parts, you've probably seen our parts packs on eBay! We've been invited into your forum to see if we can help out with resin parts. We build heaps of older style cars/hot rods/nostalgia/drag racing/American muscle etc, and don't know a hell of a lot about 'tuners' but we are open to suggestions as Eddie has mentioned.
The problem with resin products to date is generally the quality and price.
We cast the resin products ourselves and we do it because we are modellers and cos' we can. Our over heads are minimal and there are no middle men. The only thing you pay for is the resin and our time, we do take a lot of care to pop bubbles and clean our parts cos' we know you don't want to build with crap parts!! We are watching this link to get inspiration on our future parts packs, so what you write here will be taken quite seriously. We really only cast small parts at the moment cos' thats what we need to save kit bashing.(Who wants to buy a forty to fifty dollar kit just for one or two small parts huh?!)
Jason loves modelling and would much prefer to make resin parts than work his day job, so ...let us know what you need to finish those projects!!
Engines are actually what we were looking at next because of the numerous requests thru eBay. What parts would you prefer and we need specific details, so far the list is impressive and we have started our research on the above already.Thankyou to everybody who inputs, it does all count, including the constructive critism! (pissing on the parade!!)

MidMazar
05-29-2005, 09:28 AM
we want those sr20det motors!!

Michele Richter
05-29-2005, 09:32 AM
...and that's what we call "pissing on the parade"
:naughty:
but it's a good point.
if it gets out of hand, it's gonna get attention.

incidentally, what resin do you use to cast your own parts?
i've only ever used the two part clear set stuff but that strikes me as being a bit brittle (or is that just my mix ratio being not quite right?)
We use Barnes Products and you can buy a variety of different resins with different shore: this is how they measure hardness or flexibility. You can vary the cured result by using inaccurate measures, not mixing thoroughly, working in a cold room etc.

calvin3
05-29-2005, 09:36 AM
Turbo's

If possible.....Any late model Audi body. :thumbsup:

tonioseven
05-29-2005, 01:05 PM
Intercoolers- I usually make my own but it would save me a lot of time.

Different sized turbos

Conical air filters

sideshowscrappy
05-29-2005, 08:04 PM
Turbo manifolds, cause they are a pain to scratchbuild. Also something along the lines of a jackson racing supercharger. Do some different body kits for popular kits like civics, skylines etc. I am also lovin the engine ideas already stated. I would also like to see a detailed VVTI toyaota engine for the current gen celicas, but i don't know how marketable that would be.M3 and Z3 front fenders. Hoods also not very many good looking hoods out there right now. those are just my thoughts......................*Ryan*

Michele Richter
05-29-2005, 10:00 PM
Those turbo manifolds are quite tricky to resin cast too!!
We use solid solder, make sure it's not got flux in it, or modify the original parts.
The other parts mentioned so far are quite interesting, the only thing is the masters take a lot of time, so if anyone can produce masters to these parts it willl speed up the process hugely.]

evo8owner
05-29-2005, 11:33 PM
How About A Mugen/Wings West Bodykit For Fujimi's '88-'91 CRX Kits.
A Non-Vtec DOHC Honda Head.
I Like The Custom Hood Idea, But How About Hood Inserts!
I Think Everyone Here Could Handle That Kind Of Work, Plus Any Insert Style Could Be Fit To Any Car!
Paxton/Vortech Style Superchargers,Twin Turbos Are Nice But........

I'll Post More As I Think Of It

BTW,
I Asked A Very Good Friend Of Mine Who Is A Corporate Lawyer.
And She Says As Far As Copyrights Go, It's Not a "Copy"
If There's Any Thing Changed/Modified On The Part.
So a Bodykit With An "Added Ridge" On The Side That
Could Be Sanded Off To Look Like A "Brand X" Part,
Is Legal Because It's Not An Exact Copy

05-30-2005, 12:38 AM
I've had turbos and intercoolers available for years. Other things already mentioned are on the way, plus some surprises.

Turbo manifolds are too specific, and the builder is far better off scratchbuilding them than buying one. The only reason I sell turbo manifolds for the Revell Integra is that they're leftover parts from the old turbo kit. Not everyone wants their turbos in the same spot.

Someone makes tires for the Revell tuner wheels. As willimo said, most of the stuff listed here is already being done. There's also a huge difference between people on a message board saying they'll buy part X if someone makes it, vs. the number of people actually buying enough of it to make it worth your time.

Quality, high-volume resin casting isn't cheap. If you think someone can make a decent profit with Micromark's $60 starter set, a Geocities website and some free time after school/work, you're in for a big surprise.

druid_99
05-30-2005, 12:43 AM
Just some ideas:

4G63 engine (Mitsubishi Evolution series)
SR20DET engine (Sylvia)
4AGE engine (AE86)
Ferrari 250 LM engine
Intercoolers

Bas Carwash
05-30-2005, 03:28 AM
That Subaru engine would be :sunglasse And the Evo engine would be awesome as well. All kinds and sizes of turbo's, conical air filters and good looking intercoolers would all be great.

BTW, why don't you start a poll?

tonioseven
05-30-2005, 11:45 AM
I've had turbos and intercoolers available for years. Other things already mentioned are on the way, plus some surprises.

I have this kit and I very highly recommend it!!:sunglasse

The 4G63 in the Revell Eclipse kit would be accurate in Evo #'s I, II, and III wouldn't it? I believe the engine was reversed starting with Evo IV. I think :dunno:
I actually would only put money up for a reasonable facsimile of the SR20DET engine since I have about 5 Silvias still to build. Everything else I could probably make myself if I tried.

blueboost
05-30-2005, 07:05 PM
I think you could sell about 50 SR20DET's to the members posting in this thread alone.

you could sell ~20 between me and tonioseven alone :lol2:

Michele Richter
06-21-2005, 09:33 AM
We've just put loads of resin parts into our ebay store if anyone is interested.
THE PARTS BOX Custom Model Parts.
Please feel free to voice requests and opinions!

cj_baller13
06-21-2005, 09:52 AM
this mite be a dumb question but what is your ebay store called?

EDIT: my bad i found it

tonioseven
06-21-2005, 09:54 AM
Do you have a direct link?

Michele Richter
06-21-2005, 10:08 AM
Tee Hee! Oop Sorry!!
For your convenience here is the address: http://stores.ebay.com.au/THE-PARTS-BOX-Custom-Model-Parts

B-radC
06-21-2005, 01:41 PM
sounds out of place BUT FOR THE LOVE OF GOD SOMEONE MAKE ME A VR6 MOTOR!!!!!!!!!

:)

Jaymes
06-21-2005, 02:49 PM
How about a 1JZ-GTE motor for the Chasers, Soarers, and Supras???

I'd buy a couple

drunken monkey
06-21-2005, 03:57 PM
i'd like to see a trans-kits for coverting the tamiya mitsubishi 3000GT/GTO to the newer versions (both of them)

Michele Richter
06-21-2005, 10:54 PM
All these suggestions are great but can anyone provide masters to make it happen??
If anyone can provide accurate masters of any of the above mentioned engines or transkits, we will gladly return the master to you and one free resin duplicate to thank you for your help. While we really love to help in all makes and models, we don't specialize in tuners so in order to make these dreams come true we will need your help.

D_LaMz
06-21-2005, 11:33 PM
How about a 1JZ-GTE motor for the Chasers, Soarers, and Supras???

I'd buy a couple

You can just use the 2jz engine from the Taimya Supra and just make a flat spark plug cover.

Jaymes
06-21-2005, 11:34 PM
You can just use the 2jz engine from the Taimya Supra and just make a flat spark plug cover.

hmm I never thought about that...thanks for the tip :sunglasse

fwdfreak
06-22-2005, 08:27 PM
I'd buy some SR20DETs aswell, but I'd love to see some european engines, like for the bmw E30, or some for the volkswagens -> VR6

hks_kansei
06-23-2005, 05:53 AM
Tee Hee! Oop Sorry!!
For your convenience here is the address: http://stores.ebay.com.au/THE-PARTS-BOX-Custom-Model-Parts

SWEET!!!!, you're Australian, you have reasonable prices, and you're open to suggestions for product.

would you be able to make a cheaper alternative to "Fujimi wheel and tyre sets" i'm not suggesting exact copys, but wheels of a similar design to actual ones.

TEM50
06-23-2005, 09:14 AM
Speaking from experience, your friend should use SynAir/TekCast Mark II resin. Its tough and comes out an off-white color. Not brittle like the tan resins are. It also has a longer pot-life. What kind of mold rubber is he going to use, tin-cure or platnium cure? For molds with drastic undercuts or intricate details (engine parts and such) I would recommend a tin-cure rubber such as Dow-Corning HS II or one of the SynAir tin-cure RTV mold-rubbers.

Question. Is your friend going to use either vaccum or pressure to make his molds? Is he going to pressure cast the parts? If not, and if he lives in a hot and humid area of the country then he is going to have problems with bubbles and pin-holes. Again, I speak from experience.

TTFN.

Chris (aka oldie-moldie)
TEM

Add your comment to this topic!