Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

What was wrong with Renault at Monaco?

youcan
05-26-2005, 06:38 AM
I believe Renault did everything to be in pole position by using excessive downforce. They knew their tires would wear out throughout the race, but they didn't expect by that much. I think they took that gamble in the theory if they would drive in front it would be impossible to overtake them.

Another theory: the Renault seem to have a lot of grip accelerating out of the corner. They are also the best starters of the field for some years because they designed their car to able to do that. They have mechanical grip to start well not because of the fact their launch control is better.

The Ferrari is designed to perform well in terms of race speed. The Renault is designed to start well en qualify well. Jean Todt said last year it is in Renaults disadvantage in the race itself. However now the Renaults are competitive enough in the race. Not fast enough though to beat the Mclarens.

What is your theory?

kfoote
05-26-2005, 09:40 AM
Renault goofed on their tire choice.

They wnet on too soft of a compound. If they had gone with a harder compound, they probably would have finished higher. The problem with Monaco is that the track condition changes so mugh through the weekend that they have to make a decision on tire compound before they really have a good idea of what the track will be doing.

The McLaren is the fastest car at the moment. I think that's more a matter of McLaren getting better than Renalut slowing down.

The Williams has always had good mechanical grip, which is what you need at Monaco. Of all the tracks in F1, that's probably the one that the Williams is best suited to.

Add your comment to this topic!