Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Nitrous.

rice(er)
05-25-2005, 04:22 PM
do you guys call N20 nos or nitrous? how does it work? how do you know when to turn your nitrous on? how is it installed? any dangerous hazards?

drewh4386
05-25-2005, 04:32 PM
If you say nos again in this thread..... a mod will probably ban you. I call it nitrous. I have decided on holley, zex, or NX. IT is extremely flamable....you use it a WOT. There are 2 ways that I know of. Dry and wet. Dry shoots into your intake and wet shoots into you intake manifold.......any thoughts??? anyone????

rice(er)
05-25-2005, 04:38 PM
If you say nos again in this thread..... a mod will probably ban you. I call it nitrous. I have decided on holley, zex, or NX. IT is extremely flamable....you use it a WOT. There are 2 ways that I know of. Dry and wet. Dry shoots into your intake and wet shoots into you intake manifold.......any thoughts??? anyone????

Some white boys call it nos at my school

CivRacer95
05-25-2005, 04:49 PM
Let's not use the term "white" here. How about "ghostly" or "crackers" or even "caucasian".

As for your question about Nitrous. No idea. There is a section in the forums dedicated to this specific question. I'll find you the link and you can post your question there.

Edit: There's the link. Try there.

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1038

clawhammer
05-25-2005, 05:28 PM

Edit: Some ricers call it nos at my school

Zgringo
05-25-2005, 06:01 PM

1. I don't think you'll get banned for saying NOS. NOS is a brand name and lots of uninformed people call it nos.
Call it nitrous or spray.

2. Nitrous IS NOT EXTREMELY FLAMMABLE, in fact it worn burn, but supports combustion. No part of it is flammable.

3. There's as many ways of installing it as there is types of induction systems.
If your car is carburated then you can use a plate under the carb. or port injection. It all depends on what you want and how much spray you intend on using.
If your car is fuel injected you'll have a wider choice of how to install. Dry or wet. Injected into the airstream of the air cleaner as Zex does, in front of the throttle bodys or each intake port.

4. If installed and operated properly is very safe to use, and like most anything has hazards if used improperly, including engine damage or possible death to the operator.

5. RICERS CALL IT NOS!!

drewh4386
05-25-2005, 06:05 PM

then he was informed. NOS is a product name from Holley. NOS is not nitrous. It is NitrousOxideSystems

nissanfanatic
05-25-2005, 06:13 PM
It catalyses combustion by providing high amounts of oxygen. Nitrogen is there to keep it stable. The heat of the combustion chamber breaks the compound down to nitrogen and oxygen. Since you now have high levels of oxygen, you can add more fuel and create more power.

Xtreme_098
05-25-2005, 08:36 PM
I think it's cheap power. Anyone can go out and throw on a bottle and say they are fast. I support superchargers and turbo systems estaticly, but I abhore nitrous. I know you can get as much power from a stock motor with nitrous as you could with a stock motor and other types of forced induction. But, I always concidered nitrous for ricers aka fake power. My 2 cents.

Zgringo
05-26-2005, 04:06 AM
I think it's cheap power. Anyone can go out and throw on a bottle and say they are fast. I support superchargers and turbo systems estaticly, but I abhore nitrous. I know you can get as much power from a stock motor with nitrous as you could with a stock motor and other types of forced induction. But, I always concidered nitrous for ricers aka fake power. My 2 cents.

I think your so right Clint. This guy runs a N/A 300ZX with a 450shot of nitrous to get this car to run into the low 10's, and I had to spend thousands to do the same. Isn't fair. I think it's ricer all the way, just look at it.
I knew ahore once, but I don't think she had anything to do with nitrous.

http://img265.echo.cx/img265/7375/nitrousna0dr.jpg (http://www.imageshack.us)

beef_bourito
05-26-2005, 06:31 PM
that car has a cool looking intake setup, anyway, i think nitrous is ok to use, that's not to say I'd ever use it (unless i built an all out drag car). the higher combustion temps create more engine wear than a turbo or supercharger, anyone who want to lose their engine in a much shorter time can be my guest.

nissanfanatic
05-26-2005, 08:59 PM
I say its fair because everyone has equal access to parts and the ability to choose their path on what they want to do with their car. +/- for each path you choose.

nissanfanatic
05-26-2005, 09:01 PM
I call it NAWZ.:p

drewh4386
05-26-2005, 09:07 PM
I just don't like it cause you can't legally use it in the street for any reason what so ever. That is why I think it is cheating. Come on guys, lets have a good old race WITHOUT button pressing?

Ridenour
05-26-2005, 09:08 PM
It catalyses combustion by providing high amounts of oxygen. Nitrogen is there to keep it stable. The heat of the combustion chamber breaks the compound down to nitrogen and oxygen. Since you now have high levels of oxygen, you can add more fuel and create more power.

I thought I'd throw in also it's so effective due to the fact that it cools the hell out of your intake air. (cold air = denser = more fuel = more power) So it means you actually have more air crammed into the cylinder on each stroke, much like some kind of FI. Making the air denser, and adding the high oxygen levels like nissanfanatic said = added power.

that car has a cool looking intake setup, anyway, i think nitrous is ok to use, that's not to say I'd ever use it (unless i built an all out drag car). the higher combustion temps create more engine wear than a turbo or supercharger, anyone who want to lose their engine in a much shorter time can be my guest.

This is true. Too many dudes think that they can just "ADD NAWZ!!!" and that there car will be fast as hell. Lots of stock internals aren't made to take the added compression / forces associated with the use of nitrous. I, for one, would never dream of using it in my 3.4. Guys have done it in that engine, but the internals just aren't made for it - you use it a couple times on the wrong car, and you can say goodbye to the engine. In my opinion, nitrous on a stock engine (unless it's built strong from the factory) = bad idea. Obviously, there's many exceptions. But most sport compact / every driver common cars shouldn't risk it.

Zgringo
05-26-2005, 09:19 PM
Your so right Beef, but if you set nitrous up right, which includes water/alky injection to keep the combustion chamber temps. down, keep your timing set right, you won't have any problems. I've been personaly been using it for over 15 years and have never lost a engine due to nitrous or for that matter had one wearout early because of it's use.
The big problem is people don't understand nitrous and give it a bad rap.
If it were possible (which it isn't) to mix gasoline and nitrous in the proper ratios we wouldn't need superchargers or turbo's as we'd have all the oxygen and gasoline our engine could handle without blowing. The power would only be limited by how strong the engine parts were.
The BIG plus for nitrous is 99.9% of the time your running without it, so only .1% of the time you under hi-power loads and the rest of the time your engine is just coasting. That isn't true with superchargers or turbo's. Your under load most of the time.
You think nitrous would have been used in aircraft if it was dangerious or distroyed the engine? I don't think so. Like everything in life, what we don't fully understand we tend to shy away from and try to avoid.
Study all you can find on Nitrous and become a expert on it and guess what? You'll be able to stay with the best of them for alot less money and have more to spend on suspension and your girl friend and your car well last longer than a flowblown supercharged or turbo'd car.
My agreement with Clint was kinda a joke. That car I was refuring to is a N/A 300ZX with a engine build to handle lots of power. Without spray has about 300HP, with spray 700+HP. So what I'm saying is something like that could be driven around normally on 300HP and when someone wanted to play, you'd be able to spank'em.
If you have any questions PM me and I'd be more than happy to send you to some webs that could give you some hard core facts about nitrous.

curtis73
05-27-2005, 03:41 AM
I just don't like it cause you can't legally use it in the street for any reason what so ever. That is why I think it is cheating. Come on guys, lets have a good old race WITHOUT button pressing?

Since when? Its legal in CA and some even carry a CARB EO number. Its legal in PA and LA. Not sure about other states, but its legal in the most strict state for emissions.

drewh4386
05-27-2005, 03:45 AM
Since when? Its legal in CA and some even carry a CARB EO number. Its legal in PA and LA. Not sure about other states, but its legal in the most strict state for emissions.Since a while down here. You can have it, but you can't have it hooked up. OR else a ticket. Cops aren't as leaniant as they use to be down here.

and it is not for emmissions. We don't have them. Its just for street racing. Like our cat conv. rule "aslong as you don't get caught, you are ok.

Zgringo
05-27-2005, 04:07 AM
Since a while down here. You can have it, but you can't have it hooked up. OR else a ticket. Cops aren't as leaniant as they use to be down here.

and it is not for emmissions. We don't have them. Its just for street racing. Like our cat conv. rule "aslong as you don't get caught, you are ok.

And what is the ticket for?? Take your car to someone who can test the emission with the spray on and record the readings and take that to court with you.
That's like getting a ticket for having Z rated tires on your car. There only good for hi-speed. Or removing the 150MPH speed limit from your computer being illegal. What about racing shocks on a street car?
Sounds like you have some real retarded law makers in your state.

drewh4386
05-27-2005, 12:50 PM
NOOOOOO!
You know like the open can law for beer?
well its the armed nitrous law here. Its not retarded.
We had it go into effect after many report deaths in street racing accidents involving nitrous (un controllable car. YOu guys know at extreme acceleration and/or high speed your car becomes less controllable. YOu can have it but it is only for the track or else you get a ticket and or you car impounded.

No it is not like
having Z rated tires on your car
removing the 150MPH speed limit (removing that changes you emissions at certain MPH)

Zgringo
05-27-2005, 02:41 PM
NOOOOOO!
You know like the open can law for beer?
well its the armed nitrous law here. Its not retarded.
We had it go into effect after many report deaths in street racing accidents involving nitrous (un controllable car. YOu guys know at extreme acceleration and/or high speed your car becomes less controllable. YOu can have it but it is only for the track or else you get a ticket and or you car impounded.

No it is not like
having Z rated tires on your car
removing the 150MPH speed limit (removing that changes you emissions at certain MPH)

Please tell why 1 is different than another? All are designed for speed above the legal speed limits.
In 2003, 43,220 people died in cars. 40% was drug or Alky related.
Of all these Auto deaths 3 were reported due to Nitrous Oxide injected powered cars. 3 in 43,000. Wow nitrous is out of control.

The World Health Organization has determined that road deaths will be the greatest public health crisis the world will face within the coming decades. The economic cost to society of each accident in the United States is figured to average $800,000 us dollars. Furthermore, serious injuries and fatalities are emotionally devastating to families and friends who become another tier of victims.
Consider this:
~ Every 34 minutes someone is murdered; every 13 minutes someone dies in a highway cash.
~ Every 35 seconds there is an aggravated assault; every 15 seconds there is a highway injury.

~ America lost 620,000 citizens during all wars since 1775; more than 3 million were lost on the nation's highways during the last century.
~ In 1998 fewer than 700 people died in airplane crashes; more than 41,000 died in highway crashes.
~ In 1985, deaths from heart disease and tumors were responsible, respectively, for 11.8 and 15.6 life-years lost per death; motor vehicle crashes in the same year were responsible for 37.3 life-years lost per death.
~ People who have eaten a peanut butter an jelly sandwich who died in car crashes accounted for 99.3%.

Conclusion..Don't outlaw guns....outlaw cars.
People who have eaten peanut butter an jelly sandwich's not be allowed in a car.

3 death's in 43,220 isn't a figure that should have the lawmakers alarmed to the point of making law against nitrous.
I think they should spend more time on the peanut butter an jelly issue and read the facts.
You and the citizen's of your state should look at your elected officals very close before casting a vote or they might make a law making it illegal to drive around without hubcaps, or women riding bicycles.
Illegal to drive around with your nut showing or peddling pussy.

drewh4386
05-27-2005, 03:04 PM
They don't give you hp idiot. if it was that hard.

sorry for the rudeness.

Zgringo
05-27-2005, 04:02 PM
They don't give you hp idiot. if it was that hard.

sorry for the rudeness.

Getting back to outlawing nitrous as it makes HP, and I assume this HP is killing at a alarming rate of 3 in 43,220 auto death's a year. Enough to have your lawmakers pass law making it illegal to have nitrous installed and hookedup and armed in your car.

As for being sorry for the rudeness, no problem, I just consider the source.

drewh4386
05-27-2005, 07:04 PM
cool with me. Now back to the original topic. big shots Nitrous not matter what you have is going to cause pre-combustion more times than none. Races gas will be needed to harness such power all at once. I commend to the guys whom pay 4.99 for 100 octane. and more for higer octane.

Zgringo
05-27-2005, 10:54 PM
cool with me. Now back to the original topic. big shots Nitrous not matter what you have is going to cause pre-combustion more times than none. Races gas will be needed to harness such power all at once. I commend to the guys whom pay 4.99 for 100 octane. and more for higer octane.

Your so right. 100 octane gas does cost $4.99 a gallon. You have any idea how it's made? Ever heard of toluene? Toluene is what gasoline mfg's use to raise the octane of gas. Do you know what toluene is? Nothing more than paint thinner. Yep, paint thinner. Holy cows the price of racing gas just dropped to alittle more than regular gas.
Your kinda right. Large amounts of nitrous well cause problems if it isn't setup right, meaning, water/alky injection (which is good for your engine) and timing.

So here's what we have. If you raise the compression ratio of your engine or increase the boost of your engine you'll have similar problems as running nitrous.
Now we have a choice. Run a 75 shot of spray and be happy or get serious and do it right and run as much as you want and kick some ass. It's your choice. I perfer you don't use it, as it makes it much easier for me to win races.

beef_bourito
05-29-2005, 02:19 PM
it also depends on what kind of racing you're doing. nitrous is good for drag racing but throw it on a circuit with 20 laps and it's useless (unless of course you're playing need for speed underground 2 where you get it from drafting, powersliding, getting air, and near misses somehow. i'd love to have a nitrous can that could do that)

Zgringo
05-29-2005, 10:27 PM
it also depends on what kind of racing you're doing. nitrous is good for drag racing but throw it on a circuit with 20 laps and it's useless (unless of course you're playing need for speed underground 2 where you get it from drafting, powersliding, getting air, and near misses somehow. i'd love to have a nitrous can that could do that)

Beef I really don't like saying your wrong but in this country during 1950s the famed stock car racer Smokey Yunick rediscoverd nitrous oxide injection as one of his many schemes for winning races until discovered and outlawed by NASCAR. Neverthesless, there have been several nitrous oxide cheating scandals in NASCAR over the years and it is probably still used today by the slowest of backmarkers. In the late-70s/early-80s nitrous oxide was "rediscovered" by drag racers and hot rodders.

beef_bourito
05-30-2005, 01:03 PM
yes, it is true that if you take two cars tuned and whatnot to the limit of the rules and slap nitrous on one of them, he has the advantage. what i was trying to say is that if you have two cars, one with nitrous and nothing else, and the other with a supercharger or turbocharger and put them in a long circuit race, the super or turbo car has a much better chance because it's constant power.

Zgringo
05-30-2005, 11:12 PM
yes, it is true that if you take two cars tuned and whatnot to the limit of the rules and slap nitrous on one of them, he has the advantage. what i was trying to say is that if you have two cars, one with nitrous and nothing else, and the other with a supercharger or turbocharger and put them in a long circuit race, the super or turbo car has a much better chance because it's constant power.

First off I don't don't know of a racing body that doesn't put restrictions on engine size with superchargers or turbo's. Indy for example allows larger N/A engines than turbo or supercharged engines.
What you suggesting I understand very well but not possible, example: in the LaMans 24 hours race If I'm not mistaken has been won mostly by N/A cars, but then that isn't a fair comparson eather as the cubic in restrictions on turbo'd or supercharged cars.

Your statement was as follows," nitrous is good for drag racing but throw it on a circuit with 20 laps and it's useless". Tell that to Smokey Yunick or Lance Raventlow, winners of many long course races with nitrous.
Beef, nitrous is the most misunderstood add on, and has some bad reports on it because of stupid idiots not setting it up right or missusing it. People who understand it and use it, trust me, swear by it.
For 99.99% of the guys on here, most are street racers and nitrous is a natural for them, IF USED PROPERLY, and for the ones that race at a track, there governed by rules.
As for myself on the street, 99% of the time I'm running on low boost. But line up next to me and I'll crank the boost up and arm the nitrous. I didn't build my car to lose and want every advantage I can have.

Now if you'd rewrite your post to say," nitrous is good for drag racing but throw it on a circuit with 20 laps and it's illegal", then I'd agree with you 100%.

beef_bourito
05-31-2005, 06:36 PM
ok, I guess i was going on assumtions more than actual knowledge, it's apparent that you know more about nitrous than me. Thanks for the info, good discusion.

Zgringo
05-31-2005, 07:03 PM
ok, I guess i was going on assumtions more than actual knowledge, it's apparent that you know more about nitrous than me. Thanks for the info, good discusion.

Beef, Nothing wrong with assuming anything, but like I said, lots of false information has been passed around. Please do a web search and learn everything you can about nitrous and become the #1 scorce of information on nitrous, so next time someone wants to know about it you can post some real hard core facts.
Besides, I like taco's better than burrito's. j/k

beef_bourito
05-31-2005, 07:06 PM
lol, but there is something wrong with assuming, it makes an ass out of you and me, HAHAHA... "cricket cricket" sorry, had to say it. but really assumtions blow up engines, if you assume that stock internals on a b16c can handle 30PSI and a 150 shot of nitrous and stick it on the dyno, it makes quite a show (never seen it done but I assume it would) sorry for the rant, i'm tired.

Zgringo
06-01-2005, 01:33 PM
lol, but there is something wrong with assuming, it makes an ass out of you and me, HAHAHA... "cricket cricket" sorry, had to say it. but really assumtions blow up engines, if you assume that stock internals on a b16c can handle 30PSI and a 150 shot of nitrous and stick it on the dyno, it makes quite a show (never seen it done but I assume it would) sorry for the rant, i'm tired.
There you go assuming again Beef, and trust me, it's very one sided, and not in your favor.
There's a old saying, "Engage brain before putting mouth in gear".
Assumptions don't blow engines, lack of knowledge does.
For anyone without knowledge to build a racing engine would be like someone without medical school attempting open heart surgery. Both will have fatal results, to the engine and the human.
I'll say it once again. The wonderful world of the internet has tons of information for those wanting to learn and expand there knowledge base to do research, and then there are those that could care less and only post assumptions.
AF has some people with tons of knowedge, some with alittle knowledge and a few who don't know jack shit.
Then we have the wannabe's. The one's that think they know that attact those with the knowledge only to cause confusion.
Research the new technology and learn and become one of those with the facts or remain an assumer.

rice(er)
06-01-2005, 05:21 PM
AF has some people with............and a few who don't know jack shit.

*tear**tear* **looks for crying icon but can't find it** :'(

Zgringo
06-01-2005, 05:34 PM
*tear**tear* **looks for crying icon but can't find it** :'(

Your asking questions and trying to learn. Your not coming on here and telling everyone how it's done, or you have a 3 cyinder Yugo that just smoked a Cobra from the dig.
Keep asking and learning.

Add your comment to this topic!