Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

The Scion Debut

igor@af
04-14-2002, 12:50 PM
Article written by Bryce Bernard [aerovec.com (http://www.aerovec.com)].
--------------------------------------------------------
Perhaps the biggest news since Lexus, Toyota announced last week, at the New York International Auto Show, the coming of its newest brand creation; Scion. No, it’s not a new sci-fi character for Star Wars. Its Toyota’s new product line aimed at those of us who are turning in their tighty-whiteys for boxers.

Scion is the second phase of a master plan to tackle the youth market, which Toyota hasn’t seen much of in recent years. Its first phase, code-named Genesis, was responsible for a new wave of youth oriented vehicles such as the Celica and Echo. Did it help? You bet it did. The average age of the Celica buyer was reduced to a mere 35 years old. Not bad considering it was once a few years over the hill. The third and final phase is the manufacturing of the Scion product line.

Two Scion vehicles were on display at the New York auto show. The very Japanese designed bbX (Black Box Concept) will be one of two vehicles available for our garages in June of 03’. The bbX first made its debut at the Detroit Auto show as a Toyota; little did we know it was a testing ground for Scion’s new brew.

New for the New York auto show, was the ccX, or Concept Coupe Crossover. This 2dr hatch featured a two-panel glass sunroof that exposed nearly the entire roof of the car when opened. If that isn’t enough, you can retract the rear vertical panel into the bumper to create an open air cargo bed. The probability of seeing this feature on the production model is slim however. It’s too bad because a couple of mountain bikes in the back seemed a good fit. http://www.aerovec.com/article_images/39/a2_animated.gif

Design is well executed. The ccX sets itself apart from Toyota and Lexus in its own fashion. Sweeping impressions along the side match that of the sloping roofline with a complimentary symbiance. Design strength seems focused over the front wheels, then looses interest as it flows to the back. Large vertical taillights along the C pillars let the world know when the ccX wants to stop. 18” 5-star split alloy wheels wrapped in 225/45/R18 rubber finalize the package.
http://www.aerovec.com/article_images/39/a2_hatch.jpg
Feeling blue? If not, step inside the ccX and you will. The interior makes it seem as if you’re driving an iMac. Aluminum accents throw that performance feel at you. Carpet flooring is a thing of the past. Only a waterproof material composed of metals and rubber stand between you and a quick cleaning job. Four drain plugs make it that much simpler.

The ccX carries with it a 2.4-liter Four-Cylinder, 16-Valve, DOHC. The number of ponies is being held in the stable for now, but be assured the 2.4 won’t underpower the 2,810lb ccX. Fumes are expelled via a handsome inset dual exhaust. Only a four-speed automatic ECT transmission is available for both the ccX and bbX. I don’t know about you, but I like my hot dog with a manual.

All Scion vehicles will be sold as fully equipped mono-spec models. But fear not. As with youth trends, Scion vehicles can be modified with your own personal touches. After all, personality is key to the Scion lifestyle.

How much you ask? Scion assures us that both the bbX and ccX can be had for “considerably less than $18,000.”

Happy driving.

http://www.automotiveforums.com/img/scion/1.jpg
http://www.automotiveforums.com/img/scion/2.jpg
http://www.automotiveforums.com/img/scion/3.jpg
http://www.automotiveforums.com/img/scion/4.jpg
http://www.automotiveforums.com/img/scion/5.jpg
http://www.automotiveforums.com/img/scion/6.jpg
http://www.automotiveforums.com/img/scion/7.jpg

Tom_S8
04-14-2002, 01:06 PM
Hmm I've never seen that before ... but i'm afraid this would ruin toyota... if those are the same pepole who made :apuke: echo and made a famous sports car with many rally traditions a POS fwd car then i don't think they'll last long... anyway , only time will tell...

Holyterror
04-16-2002, 11:30 PM
Toyota has decided to equip America's youth with more bloated semi-SUVs. After all, they're cool, aren't they? Yeah, best idea ever: give the kids vehicles that are too big for them to handle, since their parents have prepared them so poorly and left them even more inept than the previous generation at driving. At least it's not too heavy, so stopping it should be easier. If it transcends the SUV's typical low-tech trappings and gas-guzzling appetite, I might not be so annoyed. But I'm warning you, Toyota, you're just asking to be put right next to Honda on my list. God help us all. :smoker2:

Heep
04-16-2002, 11:59 PM
The concept is good, but the execution is flawed. I have little doubt that they will sell...just not to the right people. Why can't a maker be brave these days and come out with a low, sleek, manual tranny compact for the youth instead of all these tall skinny automatic cars that are better for old people that can't duck into low cars?

ZondaFreak02
05-14-2002, 07:56 PM
i think that toyota is taking a good bet that they will sell... the bbx is already on sale in Japan and it has revolutionized(?) the market there. EVeryone likes it.

i think scion will do good in the us .. specially with the import racing scene so huge

Euro19
05-31-2002, 08:31 AM
That awfall thing looks like my toaster!!
And Japan is a complete diferent car market than North America, in Japan the top selling vehicles are those tiny minicars with less than 1.0 liters and 50HP, so lets obvious that kind of comparatives please.
cheers :alien2:

Sadiztik
06-09-2002, 04:07 PM
I honestly think it will be popular like APC is Popular

only teens and people with no taste will like them, unless they come out with something along the lines of the Mark II or the Supra TT I will not take them seriously

Euro19
06-14-2002, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by Sadiztik
I honestly think it will be popular like APC is Popular

only teens and people with no taste will like them, unless they come out with something along the lines of the Mark II or the Supra TT I will not take them seriously

What´s APC??

Have you noticed the front looks like the one in the Echo? :aug2:

|Banchi1O5|
06-17-2002, 01:32 AM
looks like an even more screwed up matrix

american products company?

ZondaFreak02
06-17-2002, 01:42 PM
whatss wrong w/the matrix

|Banchi1O5|
06-19-2002, 09:28 AM
i think its an alright car - just overcladded and oversized and it looks like scion is takin all of the bad features and making them worse

ArtemisEntreriR34
07-02-2002, 09:05 PM
This looks like a pure 16-year old chick car, I wouldn't touch this thing.:flipa:

Ssom
10-13-2002, 03:07 AM
My message to Toyota- think harder:rolleyes:

La_femme
10-25-2002, 03:55 AM
Ugh....

benziecl600
11-01-2002, 09:04 PM
omg whats wrong with you people thats a niceass car :flipa:

RTYPE!
12-11-2002, 09:01 AM
I just read that there will be three Scion cars.The Bbx,CCX and one other.Anybody know anything about the 3rd model?It's supposed to debut at the LA Auto show on January 4th.

DemonZX
12-11-2002, 09:01 AM
What's a nice ass car? The price might be nice ass. I certenly see the ass, but i don't know about the nice!:finger:

DemonZX
12-11-2002, 09:02 AM
Yeah the suck suck X! j/k;)

Scott 02
01-26-2003, 03:07 PM
It is a nice car Demon, there arn't very many people who know about that car is what it is.

aztecsugly
02-03-2003, 08:49 AM
I think it's ugly as hell!
They will probably sell a million of them.

Scott 02
02-03-2003, 02:07 PM
They will probably sell a million of them

Probably...were is the speedometer and all of your other gauges located?

aztecsugly
02-03-2003, 08:00 PM
WHAT????

Well, I don't Have any idea what you mean.
What I'm saying is that wile I, and perhaps most of the people on this
board, don't like it.
There are a huge number of people out there, who's taste is only in there mouth.

Scott 02
02-03-2003, 09:27 PM
:confused: What are you talking about?

aztecsugly
02-03-2003, 10:02 PM
my guages are on my dash,
I still don't know what you are trying to say.
If you didn't understand what my last post said, I will put in
more simple terms.
The scion is UGLY, and if you like it you like ugly things.
You are probably one of the people who would buy the pontiac aztec.

Scott 02
02-04-2003, 02:03 PM
Talking about where the Dash Gauges are in this Car.http://www.automotiveforums.com/img/scion/4.jpg

DMC12
02-04-2003, 02:11 PM
People, this is only a "concept" car... more than likely the production model will be an Echo with a camper shell welded on. All that interior jazz will become grey plastic... So stop worrying ;)

:p j/k

Scott 02
02-04-2003, 03:05 PM
Im not b/c i would never buy the car. ;)

Hudson
02-04-2003, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by DMC12
People, this is only a "concept" car... more than likely the production model will be an Echo with a camper shell welded on. All that interior jazz will become grey plastic... So stop worrying ;)

:p j/k

The actual cars were introduced at Detroit and Los Angeles in January. The Scion xA is based on the Japanese Toyota ist (only somehow not as attractive) and the Scion xB, which is based on the Toyota Beatbox and quite similar to the Scion bbx concept. There will be a third model.

DMC12
02-05-2003, 02:16 PM
Now I'm confused... the photos that Igor posted are of the PRODUCTION model? If so, I'm putting a deposit down after work today:D

Scott 02
02-05-2003, 02:18 PM
???? I feel sick now trying to get everyone what im trying to say.

Deadly Mantis
04-29-2003, 07:16 PM
The bbX is a lot smaller than I thought it would be.

SolTheHoelessPimp
05-11-2003, 06:31 PM
under 18000? good here's 5 bucks..........

Hudson
05-12-2003, 11:30 AM
Now I'm confused... the photos that Igor posted are of the PRODUCTION model? If so, I'm putting a deposit down after work today:D

Even Igor can be wrong. Those pictures are of the ccX concept car, not a production vehicle.

NSX
07-08-2003, 08:16 PM
It doesn't look as bad as some of you say;
Reminds me a 'lil of the Renault Clio, & the boxier one like those old BMWs, or Golfs.

SolTheHoelessPimp
07-08-2003, 08:51 PM
golf? it doesn't look anything like a golf.

NSX
07-09-2003, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by SolTheHoelessPimp
golf? it doesn't look anything like a golf.
The old ones...
ie.
http://www.hjort-sorensen.no/Tony%20Lund%20Tjelle%20VW%20Golf%20KBE%20KNA%20Ves tfold-web.jpg

http://www.drivein24.ch/fotoauto/VW/VW%20Golf%20G60%20F&I%20Blu.jpg

DMC12
07-10-2003, 01:57 PM
The production Scions are available now... and I must say that they are nowhere near as cool as the concept. Boring and overpriced is more like it. The Scion I looked at was $14000 and had no radio, no hub caps and manual everything. Why can't they just produce the concept & get it over with? Why these constant disappointments?

Holyterror
07-12-2003, 04:14 PM
After perusing their website (which I really didn't like for some reason), I've come to the conclusion that Toyota is really ashamed of the engines they're putting in these things. I spent about fifteen minutes at the site without finding a single word on the engine. There was mention of "performance upgrades" like a cold-air intake (probably the extent of it), but the items themselves I never found. My guess is they threw in the cheapest four-banger they could come up with. To minimize costs, I would assume that they would use a motor already in production. A 1ZZ-FE wouldn't be so bad...

At least they sell them with manual transmissions. That might be enough to convince me to test drive one (just to add to my knowledge base on these things).

BTW, anybody notice the "choice of three different wheel cover styles"??? :cwm27:

fordjay16
07-12-2003, 11:42 PM
i've heard the scions will go only have a price in the low to mid teens. i was wondering if they will be at toyota dealerships in iowa? the owner of are ford dealership recently bought toyota and with the rebates are ford/toyota dealer gives i could probably buy a scion for under ten grand brand new.

Hudson
07-16-2003, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by fordjay16
i've heard the scions will go only have a price in the low to mid teens. i was wondering if they will be at toyota dealerships in iowa? the owner of are ford dealership recently bought toyota and with the rebates are ford/toyota dealer gives i could probably buy a scion for under ten grand brand new.

No and no.

Scion vehicles won't be offered in Iowa until next year some time. And just because other vehicles are offered with rebates, don't assume that all vehicles get them. Scions are new and selling fairly well. Because of this, rebates will probably not be offered. On 2004 Toyota models, only the Corolla currently has rebates (that those are only $150).

6deep.com
07-17-2003, 07:42 PM
The production Scions are available now... and I must say that they are nowhere near as cool as the concept. Boring and overpriced is more like it. The Scion I looked at was $14000 and had no radio, no hub caps and manual everything. Why can't they just produce the concept & get it over with? Why these constant disappointments?

Hmmm... this is interesting. They come standard with A/C, power windows, PDLs, power mirrors, Pioneer CD player with MP3 & Satellite with 6-spkr system and even hubcaps!!

Umnmm... are you sure you were looking at a Scion? They are the ugly ones. Maybe you were looking at a VW Golf? <grin>

Darren

Check out www.scionlife.com.

badassgremlin
07-30-2003, 09:28 AM
lol you are all soooo funny...those are safty measures they do that alot here in mi. they install the wheelcovers',centercaps,stereo(if it's in demand)etc. upon purchase so people can't come into dealers in the middle of the night and jack the hubbie's or perhaps the stereo just thought i might clear this up:biggrin: :biggrin2:

OneManLan
01-28-2004, 05:49 PM
No and no.

Scion vehicles won't be offered in Iowa until next year some time. And just because other vehicles are offered with rebates, don't assume that all vehicles get them. Scions are new and selling fairly well. Because of this, rebates will probably not be offered. On 2004 Toyota models, only the Corolla currently has rebates (that those are only $150).

And how about you go die? Golf > j00 > Scion

God, even the MK1 Golfs had 90 Horse Power, thats almost up to par with the 108 Horse Power Scion engines. Sad isn't it?

Add your comment to this topic!