Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Help on headgasket

zr440
05-24-2005, 10:14 PM
My B2000 was spewing water out of the overflow for a while. A new water pump and thermostat didn't fix this. Eventually the headgasket must have went because now there is water in the oil. I took it apart but there doesn't appear to be any cracks in the gasket that I can see. Haven't had a chance to check if it's warped yet. What are the chances that a cylinder wall is cracked rather than a bad headgasket? I'd hate to throw in a new headgasket and have it blow the gasket again.

Another thing I noticed. I've never seen this on any other car, but when I'd turn it over with the radiator cap off it would spew water out like a geyser.

Thanks,
Josh

mazdubracing
05-28-2005, 09:49 PM
well sometimes you wont see a crack but it may be seaping through the gasket material or the head may be warped from overheating which is common in the b2000 so check the head or have the head pressure checked and checked for warpage at a machine shop because aluminum corrodes easily and if the coolant went a while before being changed it may have pinholes in the coolant passages above the cylinder which will do exactly what you are saying so just have it checked out its worth the money any other questions feel free to ask me at drop_it_and_drag_it@yahoo.com

PlaneGuy
05-30-2005, 10:38 PM
I had the exact same problem on my '87 B-2000. The guy who owned it before me used block sealant to hide the cracked head. He changed the oil right before he put it on the market (so nobody would see signs of water in the oil).

After I bought the vehicle, I started seeing oil in the water. After flusing the engine (cooling and oil) all hell broke loose... Overheating and boiling over. I looked, but didn't see a problem, two other mechanics checked for a bad head gas, but it passed all tests.

I finally decided on having the engine rebuilt. The rebuilder said it had a cracked head. When I came to see it, I could barely see the crack, but it was there, right on the top of the head, above the #3 cylinder.

The B-2000 actually uses a Mitsubishi engine.... Which tends to eat heads... I decided to invest in a double core radiator to help keep the engine more cool in the Southern California climate. So far it's been 2 years and it's going strong.

CanaMark
06-02-2005, 03:29 AM
My cylinder head is cracked in the valves causing water to come out exhaust. Its obvious to see when you clean up the head and see it cracked.

Add your comment to this topic!