What else add to enhance hp and torqe?

rice(er)
05-24-2005, 04:50 PM
what else can you do to your car to increase torqe and hp? besides the typical turbo and supercharger, what else can you modified? oh and speaking of turbo and super charge, is it safe to turbo and super charge a 4 cylinder vehicle? what are the drawbacks? (if there are any)

TatII
05-24-2005, 05:19 PM
what else increases hp? the engine needs 3 things to make power

1) air
2) fuel
3) spark

you need to increase them all in a certain ratio to effective make safe horsepower.

if you want to keep it naturally aspirated ( non turbo or blown ) you can raise your compression ratio by adding compression pistons, increase its rev by a tuned ecu, and in order for the increased rev limit to work, you need to have the engine breathe better in the higher rpm. this means you will need higher lift cams with longer duration. by increasing the breaking capability of the engine, you also need stiffer valve springs to prevent the valves from floating from the increased revs. if the valve floats on a high compression engine, this means its going to interfer, and the piston is goin to smack right into the valves and will bend your valve and put a hole right into your piston. this = dead engine.

you can also increase the size of the engine by boring out the cylinder diameter and putting in over sized pistons, or you can go nuts and even increase the stroke of the connecting rods by adding in a stroker kit.

with increased flow your goin to need more fuel so larger injectors will be needed along with some means of controlling them. also adjusting cam timing will also help make alittle more power in different parts of the powerband depending on where the timing is set.

if you want to go with the forced induction route ( turbo etc )

there is no downside of it realy besides more stress from heat and broken drive train parts from the added power. certain engines takes boost better then others. hondas don't take boost very well stock. they have open deck engine blocks, and have high compression pistons. these two makes the block very weak against increased cylinder pressure, and the high compression piston will increase its cylinder temp which will make it more likely to detonate and blow your engine up.

my engine has been turboed for over 2 years and over 40K miles. my engine is an example of a non turbo engine that can take boost very well. i have a solid deck iron block, relative low compression, forged connecting rods, and forged crank, and have built in piston cooling oil squirters. all these means its practically built for boost right from the factory.

RaidenKing
05-24-2005, 05:25 PM
Uhhh I'm assuming you mean Turbo OR Supercharge a 4 cylinder. The turbo is a more common route for the 4 but either can be done granted you know what you're doing. By this I don't mean if you know how to use a wrench. If you're planning to put forced induction on a car that wasn't built with an FI setup then you have to know what must be strengthened in order for the car to reliably run the boost that either method will throw into the engine. In most cases you're looking at engine build up, fuel system upgrades, hefty amounts of tuning and making sure you have a pretty complete setup to put on the car. This means you'll have to make sure you've got all the piping, cooling, turbo feed lines, etc set up.

As far as other upgrades go, this is what bolt ons are for.

POPULAR BOLT ONS
-cone filter / cold air intake
-downpipe
-headers
-larger exhaust piping
-test pipe

There is of course more than what I listed that you can purchase to help increase the power of your car but I'm just throwing out general upgrades.

Next time you ask a question please be more specific as to what car you are referring to, that would be a big help.

Edit - yah basically what Tat said but he got there before me

BlackGT2000
05-24-2005, 05:32 PM
The best way to make more power is very arguable. I would say the least involved way to make significant HP/Torque is supercharging. If you can find a supercharger setup made for your type of car I would recomend it. Running low boost usually won't endanger your motor and typically superchargers won't do the 15 20 pounds of boost that you can make a turbo do. Also, the supercharger is all on the intake side and you won't have to mess with the exhaust. Of course there really is no way to make a stock motor that much more powerful without getting your hands a little dirty and spending some money. This won't help your power but, the best performance option you could buy for your car would be better tires.

drewh4386
05-24-2005, 05:32 PM
? oh and speaking of turbo and super charge, is it safe to turbo and super charge a 4 cylinder vehicle? what are the drawbacks? (if there are any) EDIT!
I would watch out for turboing a 4 (or high compression) cylinder car. The high compression the n/a cars make it hard for extra power to be gained thru boosting and nawz (nitrous).
oh they make power but along with that your engine will create much more heat than a low compression car would for turboing.

besides that, as for what RaidenKing post:

POPULAR BOLT ONS
-cone filter / cold air intake
-downpipe
-headers
-larger exhaust piping
-test pipe

TatII
05-24-2005, 05:40 PM
well since he wanted to make more power, i definitly do not feel bolt ons are even worth mentioning because those will yeld anywhere from 10whp to 30whp from different cars. however i would never even consider that a big gain. since he compared n/a to turbo, i had to give him the only true way to gain real hp numbers thru the non turbo route. of course this is just as expensive as putting a turbo in the car. but you the get benefit of instant throttle response. however its still a very high strung car and can blow if your not careful.

drewh4386
05-24-2005, 05:57 PM
what else increases hp? the engine needs 3 things to make power

1) air
2) fuel
3) spark

you need to increase them all in a certain ratio to effective make safe horsepower.

if you want to keep it naturally aspirated ( non turbo or blown ) you can raise your compression ratio by adding compression pistons, increase its rev by a tuned ecu, and in order for the increased rev limit to work, you need to have the engine breathe better in the higher rpm. this means you will need higher lift cams with longer duration. by increasing the breaking capability of the engine, you also need stiffer valve springs to prevent the valves from floating from the increased revs. if the valve floats on a high compression engine, this means its going to interfer, and the piston is goin to smack right into the valves and will bend your valve and put a hole right into your piston. this = dead engine.

you can also increase the size of the engine by boring out the cylinder diameter and putting in over sized pistons, or you can go nuts and even increase the stroke of the connecting rods by adding in a stroker kit.

with increased flow your goin to need more fuel so larger injectors will be needed along with some means of controlling them. also adjusting cam timing will also help make alittle more power in different parts of the powerband depending on where the timing is set.

if you want to go with the forced induction route ( turbo etc )

there is no downside of it realy besides more stress from heat and broken drive train parts from the added power. certain engines takes boost better then others. hondas don't take boost very well stock. they have open deck engine blocks, and have high compression pistons. these two makes the block very weak against increased cylinder pressure, and the high compression piston will increase its cylinder temp which will make it more likely to detonate and blow your engine up.

my engine has been turboed for over 2 years and over 40K miles. my engine is an example of a non turbo engine that can take boost very well. i have a solid deck iron block, relative low compression, forged connecting rods, and forged crank, and have built in piston cooling oil squirters. all these means its practically built for boost right from the factory.

i see what your saying. best explained to me so far...:)

-The Stig-
05-24-2005, 06:19 PM
add more stickers.

1993_GT
05-24-2005, 06:19 PM
what else can you do to your car to increase torqe and hp? besides the typical turbo and supercharger, what else can you modified? oh and speaking of turbo and super charge, is it safe to turbo and super charge a 4 cylinder vehicle? what are the drawbacks? (if there are any)

A V8 Motor would do the trick, Domestic of course!!!! :grinno: :grinno:

rice(er)
05-24-2005, 10:51 PM
hmm...so are you guys saying that its possible to supercharge AND turbo charge a 4 cylinder, twin-charged? and the only drawback would be heat? or is it that your pistons wouldn't be able to handel it?

nissanfanatic
05-24-2005, 10:59 PM
First things first, compression test. Check to see if your engine is in good condtion before modding it. Nothing worse than beating a dead horse.

Then add airflow, fuel and spark.:biggrin:

RiCR-wana-b
05-25-2005, 01:45 AM
honestly there are millions of combinations. all of which can add more power in different ways. i.e. forced induction which seems to be what your wanting to do, or you can go all motor.(naturally aspirated)

now, as everyone has said, forced induction can cause problems with your car if it is not prepared properly( pistons fuel system so on and so forth) but with the right set up you can make alot of power. but basically it comes down to personal preferance. and how much money you want to spend on the car to get the power you want.

but i have a suggestion for you, and i did this to when i first got into cars, it seems like you dont know a whole lot about cars, and i didnt either. and this helps alot. go to
www.howstuffworks.com
and just READ about everything that has to do with a car. and with the basic knowledge that you should get from reading the info that they have you will understand more of what everyone has been talkin about.
which when all is said and done will leave you with the basic knowledge needed to make the decisions on the car as far as which way to upgrade power.

JekylandHyde
05-25-2005, 07:10 AM
You may want to read this article I wrote for the newspaper:
http://www.jekylhyderacing.com/StoryTweakHorsepower.htm

mason_RsX
05-25-2005, 08:31 AM
add more stickers.
thats all the advice you give him?? and ur a mod?? :icon16:

ummm turbo + sc is a no, I've been told it can be done...but it wouldnt be worth it anyways...I would suggest if your gonna add power to your vehicle you start with bolt ons I/H/E and research the turbo/sc options for your car and what it would require, and then go the route you want....but dont just throw down 5grand right now and demand boost

just add boost
05-25-2005, 12:56 PM
I believe a properly sized turbo would be more efficient than a turbo and stupercharger. now if you wanna go fast and fairly cheap, get a 94ish mustang GT with a MAF, buy like an incon turbo kit and run the car on the ragged edge of block splitting power (500hp). But turbos are verry fun :). But remember if your gonna make big power out of your car, you have to look at your transmission will it take it? will your axles hold it, will car car twist like a qork screw. And most importanly if you want to go fast you gotta stop faster, dont forget your brakes etc.

*thinks of the lack of good brakes on my turbo stang*

CivRacer95
05-25-2005, 02:29 PM
*thinks 'where are the pics to back up your turbo stang'*

BlackGT2000
05-25-2005, 03:57 PM
Turbo stangs are awesome but its alot more involved and hasn't been done as much as supercharging. I have looked at both kits for myself already and I would definately say supercharging is the cheaper more reliable way. You don't need the extra boost made by a turbo because a stock engine can't really handle any more than like 8-10 pounds of boost safely. If you lower the compression and get some forged internals than you would be much safer. For this reason I say your regular ass centrifugal charger is the best bang for your buck when it comes to mustangs. I like the roots blowers better but they are generally more expensive.

mason_RsX
05-25-2005, 06:37 PM
Whats the stangs V8 block? I would assume it would be Iron n less aluminum because it would have truck characteristics...high compression makes sense

Mr. Luos
05-25-2005, 10:36 PM
add more stickers.
I was thinking electric supercharger.

drewh4386
05-25-2005, 10:48 PM
like these super power mods????

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7976532178&category=33741

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7975015802&category=42610

clawhammer
05-25-2005, 11:18 PM
like these super power mods????

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7976532178&category=33741

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7975015802&category=42610

Don't forget to add supporting mods, like a knock-off unpainted body kit, huge aluminum wing and of course, lots of stickers. Add spinning hubcaps for even more gains, but that's optional.

alphalanos
05-25-2005, 11:29 PM
damn i want that turbo spool thingy.

just add boost
05-28-2005, 02:25 AM
http://www.geocities.com/mr_merkur/mustang1 some pictures there. And here are a couple vids of the car the engine was in http://rapidcityracing.com/~merkur/ . . . and I'm gonna try getting pictures up of the busted piston from the second engine, cause the first engine snapped the crank. so yes its on its 3rd engine. . . . . So there are your pictures, happy :)

just add boost
05-28-2005, 02:28 AM
oh yea, black 2000gt, I think a TTmod mustang would own up in ahhh factor though, just imagine haha. We may be boosting a friends bullit wannabe stang soon :).

Add your comment to this topic!