96 Grand Cherokee transmission not shifting

ofnobledescent
05-24-2005, 04:44 PM
I have a 96 Grand Cherokee which I bought new in 96. I have always serviced the transmission regularly. Filter change only, no flush. The transmission shifts smoothly while driving around town but when you get on the interstate it does not want to shift into overdrive at high speed. Sometimes it will shift into overdrive perfect and other times not. When it doesn't shift to keep from getting run over on the interstate you have to run the vehicle at extremely high RPM's

jeepzj9304
05-26-2005, 05:40 AM
check your fluid level that has something to do with it but there are other reason for the shifting ill get back to you on that

ofnobledescent
05-30-2005, 03:14 PM
Fluid was a little low though no leaks. (garage kept) Still, did not fix problem after adding fluid.

ofnobledescent
06-02-2005, 05:55 PM
Ok, I have had the same type of problems with my transmission as others on this board are talking about. Not shifting into overdrive with high rpm's, sluggish etc. Went ahead and took it to the transmission shop today. They put it on the computer diagnostic and told me there was nothing wrong with the transmission but that the exhaust (convertor) was stopped up causing the problem. Having new muffler, convertor put on now. Maybe sometime tommorrow I'll be fixed up. Hope this helps someone.

ofnobledescent
06-03-2005, 07:20 PM
That was exactly the problem. Runs great now.

Oregon94Jeep
01-24-2011, 11:19 PM
So it was the catalytic converter? What does that have to do with the transmission?
I am having the same problem as you were. It wont shift into overdrive and just keeps getting higher rpm's. I drove it for an hour like that on the interstate and when I got back to town the trani started slipping. My friend and I took the trani apart and the intermediate shaft and a plate sheared off. We fixed it all and cleaned it all out, got a new torque converter and put it all back together. It is shifting a little rough but not too abnormally. The only problem is that it is not shifting into overdrive! It only did it to me the one day and then went completely out. I do not want to have to rebuild that thing again, as it was a serious pain. My exaust manifold has a crack in it and my catalytic converter crapped out a little before the trani went. Don't tell anyone but I just cut it open and took the honey comb stuff out and welded it back up, so maybe that has something to do with it. I don't know. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

fredjacksonsan
01-24-2011, 11:36 PM
Oregon94, Welcome to AF. This is a pretty old thread, so I'd suggest starting a new one - it'll get more responses and quicker help for you. I don't have a solution to your issue, sorry. Make sure in your new thread to note what year, mileage, 2wd/4wd, and engine you have.

Oregon94Jeep
01-24-2011, 11:39 PM
Ok, thanks Fred. Will do.

Add your comment to this topic!