Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Car is Shaking

Kristi478
05-24-2005, 01:13 PM
I have a 1998 V6 Mustang. My car started shaking while driving a few months ago. I have taken it to several different places and I feel like I am getting the run around. Over the past few months I have Had all rotors turned, new brakes put on the front, new struts on the front, front end aligned, all tires balanced twice, and just got a new tire. Of course the car is still shaking. It does not matter if I am driving fast or slow, but shakes more at faster speeds. I can feel it in the steering wheel, but also in the seats. I have a radar detector and it is constantly bouncing up and down. Any idea what the problem might be?

TheStang00
05-24-2005, 02:08 PM
your drivetrain might be shot...

Kristi478
05-24-2005, 02:15 PM
What does the drivetrain do?

SkylineUSA
05-25-2005, 12:25 AM
your drivetrain might be shot...

Thats helpful :grinno:

It sounds like there is still a problem with your wheels, or tires. I would think that maybe one of your tires might have a bulge on it, from what you have described. It in now way has anything to do with your brakes. I normally will not turn my rotors, unless they are warped. Rotor turning is bad for two reasons; when you take material away it decreases its ability to stop the car because brakes act just like a heat sink, so the more material you have on your rotors, the better it will dissipate heat, and now it increases the rotors chance to wrap, because of said less material. FYI

You mentioned new tires already, damn :uhoh:

I can see why you are getting the run around, because it should have been fixed with everything you mentioned.

Have you had a friend drive next to you, to see if they can spot anything the car is doing, so you can narrow it down. You could swap tires around front to back, to see if it changes.

Its all shooting in the dark, until you can get some more info to us.

stang_racer20
05-25-2005, 12:52 AM
How is your engine performing? Could it be a bad miss or a balancer issue. Maybe u-joints as well?

Also, you say you just got one tire?

motorjock205
05-25-2005, 07:33 AM
Check the driveshaft...if it's bent even just a little, you'll definately feel it in the seats and steering wheel.....

Kristi478
05-25-2005, 09:09 AM
The tires on the front are pretty new, but my back tires were older. I took the car to a repair shop and they said my back passenger tire was sepparated so I had it replaced. The back driverside tire is still ok. It feels like the shaking is coming from the front passenger side. That is the newest tire on the front, but it seems like the shaking started shortly after I had it put on. I had all tires looked at when I got the new one put on the back and they said there were no problems. This shaking is driving me crazy!!

just add boost
05-25-2005, 12:30 PM
That verry much sounds like a tire or U-Joint problem.

SkylineUSA
05-25-2005, 01:06 PM
Its been a while since I had a u-joint go out, do you feel that in the steering wheel? If its front oriented, its has to be the front tires, that is why I suggest swapping the front to back and see what you get.

TheStang00
05-25-2005, 02:05 PM
wheel bearing?

351wStang
05-26-2005, 05:26 PM
Could be a wheel bearing. I fixed a similair complaint for my friend's father in-law. His drivers side front wheel bearing was absolutely shot. It was corroded and floppy and missing several of the bearings. 1992 Aerostar.
Could be a balljoint as well.

SkylineUSA
05-26-2005, 11:49 PM
Yep, I agree.

Jack the car up, and tug on the top of the tire, if it moves at all, then you know its something internal.

Kristi478
05-27-2005, 08:52 AM
My neighbor down the road has several mustangs, and works on all of them so he said he will look at it for me. Thanks for all the great feedback. Will let you know if I ever figure out what the problem is.

tturnpaw
05-27-2005, 11:44 AM
i bet its probably that the wheel is unbalanced and the weight fell off. i also thought about it being the wheel bearing (had some experiences with an 92 F150) since the truck had similar issues. Maybe some of the front end bushings could be worn?

BlackGT2000
05-27-2005, 04:31 PM
That verry much sounds like a tire or U-Joint problem.
I agree, especially that it shakes so much even when you are going slowly but more so when you are going fast.

GTStang
05-27-2005, 04:32 PM
It could be a million and 1 things from driveshaft, tires, wheel bearing etc..,,

Mystery vibration suck ass almost as bad as electrical gremlins.

Add your comment to this topic!