Someone explain this to me ... please ... please ... please

JekylandHyde
05-24-2005, 11:29 AM
If I said to you all:

"Since I love AutomotiveForums so much and I want to support the little guys trying so hard to race their cars and show them, I am willing to sponsor you guys. Any of you, all of you.

All you have to do is send me $50 and I will get you vinyl of Jekyl Hyde Racing to prove that you are sponsored by me.

Please e-mail for paypal address. I want to support and sponsor as many of you as possible. In fact, we can do this in a group buy, I'll 4 cars for $150 ... so get your friends together and split the costs. You can get sponsored even cheaper!"

... I suspect 99% of you would tell me to go fly a kite.
So let me ask you this .... WHY do so many people send $80 to Sport Compact Pro to BUY (!??!!?!) sponsorship?

Why, why, why? How is it not obvious that that is the most bogus deal out there? You do NOT pay for sponsorship. That's insane.

See applicable thread here:
http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=3108517

I can't imagine giving my sponsors my credit card info ....

/rant

Sorry ... that "deal" just ticks me off to no end.

CivRacer95
05-24-2005, 11:46 AM
Man, that is a lowest thing to ever do. Atleast a way has been found to get around it. It's amazing how low some people will stoop to take your money.

Although, would you sponsor me Hyde :biggrin:?

JekylandHyde
05-24-2005, 11:48 AM
sure ... I'll gladly send JH Racing stickers to anyone for $50 to prove they are sponsored by me. :rolleyes:

clawhammer
05-24-2005, 11:49 AM
After first reading your thread it did not make any sense, but after re-reading it I think I get it. Basically Sport Compact Pro is "selling" sponsorships for $80?

JekylandHyde
05-24-2005, 11:52 AM
You got it ... this "company" has changed names at least once already.

They charge people $80 to "set up" their sponsorship account (please). Having an account gets you a sponsorship up to almost $12,000 .... the catch?

You have to buy all of your parts through them and they give you a 50% discount up to your sponsorship amount .... the trick? Their prices are marked up insanely high so that 50% off is not any better than buying elsewhere!

Even worse ... if you buy parts elsewhere, they reserve the right to drop you (and keep your $80!).

Blows my mind.

It is basically a wholesale club (like Sam's Club or BJs), but without the actual good pricing.

CivRacer95
05-24-2005, 11:52 AM
Go to the link just above Hyde's last post. Read the little story to go along with it. Basically SCP is pulling off a pretty big scam. They make you fill out a form, also put in your credit card info, just for "filing issues", then charge your card the amount of the sponsorship fee and you get nothing but a bill on your credit statement and pretty much what Hyde summed up.

Gohan Ryu
05-24-2005, 12:35 PM
Pretty sad the way the guys in that thread say "My car was stock when I got sponsored, they sponsored me because of the plans I have for my car". SCP seems to be preying on peoples hopes and dreams - fucking assholes.

The other sad thing was "the $88 dollar fee is to cover the lawyers fees for drawing up each individual contract". It doesn't cost $88 dollars to hit the "print" icon on my computer. SCP seems to have lying down to a science.

JekylandHyde
05-24-2005, 12:36 PM
SCP seems to be preying on peoples hopes and dreams.

Exactly.

-Jayson-
05-24-2005, 02:12 PM
ill take 3 sponsor ships!

TheStang00
05-24-2005, 02:17 PM
send me a sticker... ill stick it over my dent

Musashi3000GT
05-24-2005, 02:25 PM
you guys got it all wrong. SCP is a wonderfull sponsor, not only do you get to buy a APC filter from them for $120.00 minus 50% (which they cover) but you also get a DVD with your 88 dollar sign up. ! A FREAKING DVD MAN!
I know cause a fellow 3s owner got sponsored by then a year ago, btw they used to be known as RacerX before they became SCP.

CassiesMan
05-24-2005, 05:17 PM
It doesn't cost $88 dollars to hit the "print" icon on my computer. SCP seems to have lying down to a science.

You dont know lawyers...

Lawyer will charge 88 bucks an hour to work for these guys. He has to print a contract. Hits print button to print a pre made contract, takes 15 seconds. Rounds up to one hour. Thats how they make so much money and do so little work. They charge based on working your case. So if a lawyer has two casess, charges 300 an hour to work on each case, and "thinks" about case a while actually working on case b...600 bucks in an hour.

Jekyl...what do I get other than just a sticker?

Mush...I dont see any smileys...your kidding, right? Or are you serious?

drftk1d
05-24-2005, 05:37 PM
yo jekyland hide, i better get a DVD with my sponsorship!

or at least a VHS tape!

JekylandHyde
05-24-2005, 05:47 PM
lol ... you guys got it ... anyone that sends me $50 will get a (2) JekylandHyde racing stickers and a copy of the "You can run, but you can't Hyde" DVD.

CassiesMan
05-24-2005, 05:49 PM
Toss in a liscense plate frame and its a deal...

JekylandHyde
05-24-2005, 05:59 PM
... will a "Club MR2" license plate frame be ok?

CassiesMan
05-24-2005, 06:29 PM

Nope. Gotta be J&H...

On the more serious note though, I know for a fact, 100% positive, that anyone who buys into this, is a idiot. Why? Becuase I used to work for a company just like it. Its how I got my BMW. Except we dealt with health insurance. Well, kinda.

The company I used to work for was just a 3rd party health cost repricing vendor. I worked customer service, and I know all the scams that the actuall company uses. See, the comapny that hired us sold a healt plan discount. It is MUCH cheaper than health insurance (75$ a month, full coverage), and the plan holder would get a dicounted rate that we (the people I worked for) were able to negotiate with the network.

Sounds great, right? Cheaper medical bills, no copay, cheaper than however much insurance was? WRONG. The discount, which was advertised as being great, wasn't. Sure, you'd get the occasional 50+% discunt, but on average, they only took maybe 10-15 off the cost. Not to include a charge from us for a processing fee, so in the end, it only took about 5-10% of your bill, meaning that you still have to pay. Its a really great plan...as long as you never get hurt or sick...and dont even get me started on the issues with the hospitals. If you went somewhere out of network: too bad, your stuck with the full cost. Didn't pre-reg a hospital visit? Too bad, your stuck with the full cost. Office charges a copay? Good luck getting a refund.

This is what this company is doing, they are offering you a "discount" (which in the end isn't a discount at all), assuming you buy only from their providers and never go "out of network." Its a rip off, plain and simple. One problem-its not fraud, and its not a scam. Its perfectly legal. So everyone who gets suckered in, well, too bad, good luck trying to get your money back.

chevytrucks92
05-24-2005, 11:20 PM
Lol. For a minute, I thought you were being serious when you were like "send me $50 and I'll sponser you"! lol. I was like WTF? lol

That is funny though. I mean its bad at what they are doing, but in away, I kinda of look at that like "well, if people are dumb enough to send $80 so they will sponsor you, then I say tough shit".

drftk1d
05-24-2005, 11:33 PM
my friend did it when he had his old car. i tried to talk him out of it but whatever. i guess he just forgot about it.

05-25-2005, 12:01 AM
I wish i were stupid enough to pay people to screw me over. I feel no pity for those who actually sent the money.

What companies do they deal with anyways, it looks like a bunch of audio companies, dunlop (I'm a goodyear guy, so that means nothing to me), and a suspension company I've never heard of.

Edit: Did that kid with the v6 stang say he was getting engine stuff from something dealing with Hot Import Nights? :screwy:

dampachi
05-25-2005, 12:02 AM

Can you hook me up with a discount on your video? I wanna buy it. :(

Gohan Ryu
05-25-2005, 04:09 PM
You dont know lawyers...

Lawyer will charge 88 bucks an hour to work for these guys. He has to print a contract. Hits print button to print a pre made contract, takes 15 seconds. Rounds up to one hour. Thats how they make so much money and do so little work. They charge based on working your case. So if a lawyer has two casess, charges 300 an hour to work on each case, and "thinks" about case a while actually working on case b...600 bucks in an hour.

I meant it doesn't take a lawyer to take a pre-printed contract and fill in the blanks...(ie: car owners name and the make/model of the car, $ amount of contract etc...). That's something that a legal secretary or a paralegal can do, but I doubt these guys even do that. With a scam like what these guys have going on they aren't about to spend the money to do it right - they probably have their sales reps fill in the blanks in the contract so they can pocket the $88.

I work in the IT dept for a law firm, so I do know about those ridiculous "billable hours" lawyers rack up for making one phone call or even jotting down a quick note.

Polygon
05-25-2005, 04:35 PM
I looked into a sponsorship like this one a while back. Anyone that actually reads about it should be able to figure out that they are just going to get screwed. In that case, I have no sympathy for them.

Add your comment to this topic!