Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

fluid transfer pump?

Daddycat
05-24-2005, 07:40 AM
I want a small pump for differential, trans fluid, ect. I have a suction pump for removal (looks like a grease gun) but i suspect there are nicer ways to refill new fluids. Anyone know what works well without being too spendy?
thanks for your help, Joe

Daddycat
05-24-2005, 01:38 PM
something like this:http://www.jackssmallengines.com/oil-pump.cfm

amigo-2k
05-24-2005, 01:48 PM
I have a hand pump that looks like a lotion dispensor that I use to pump is gear oil. It just screws onto the top of the bottle. cost like 6-7 bucks at any autoparts store.

Daddycat
05-24-2005, 02:40 PM
I have a hand pump that looks like a lotion dispensor that I use to pump is gear oil. It just screws onto the top of the bottle. cost like 6-7 bucks at any autoparts store.

thx Ryan, but does it work well? (or is it a PITA?) I'm sure differential fluid would best be warmed up to body temp for any pump to work well and a cordless drill powered pump sounds pretty slick.
I have, in the past, just squeezed the diff. fluid bottle as best I could, tilting the bottle and dripping slimey goo everywhere... your pump sounds cheap and effective. Care to estimate how much fluid each pump of the handle moves?

kind regards, Joe

amigo-2k
05-24-2005, 03:38 PM
I can usually empty a 1 quart bottle in 2-3 minutes. It goes pretty quick.

johnsm
05-24-2005, 04:14 PM
I just changed the filter on my tranny and used both a hand pump and a drill pump that looked like the ones on the links. I found the drill pump ineffective and the hand pump was made of plastic. The connections were cheap and it seem to blow up on me at the out flow part of the pump. I must have lost a quart on the tarp on the driveway. I would recommend a metal hand pump that uses hose clamps instead of plastic ferrules to keep the hoses on. As for the drill pump, I would find something on the higher end.

John

rodeo02
05-24-2005, 05:51 PM
Go to walmart (or where ever) and get a cheap garden sprayer from the garden center. They work like a champ to pump ATF, gear oil, etc.. and can be had for around $10. Nice'n easy, mess free and cheap!
G/luck
Joel

suvguy
05-25-2005, 08:18 PM
I use a flexible vane pump from ShurFlo. Runs off of the battery or they have an AC model as well. Bought mine from Grainger, P/N: 4UN26 http://www.grainger.com. Works on any oil/fluid. Bought mine for doing my own tranny flushes. Works on manual trannies and diffs well. Buy 3/4" garden hose to barb fittings from Lowes/Home Depot and a few feet of 3/8" ID clear vinyl tubing.

suvguy

I want a small pump for differential, trans fluid, ect. I have a suction pump for removal (looks like a grease gun) but i suspect there are nicer ways to refill new fluids. Anyone know what works well without being too spendy?
thanks for your help, Joe

Daddycat
05-25-2005, 08:54 PM
thanks guys for the great ideas, i found a waste oil website and a fellow there used an automotive oil pump powered by a 110 volt drill to transfer old cooking grease. i might explore that option as they can be had for around $25. i'll let you know what i come up with.

johnsm
06-05-2005, 08:06 PM
Go to walmart (or where ever) and get a cheap garden sprayer from the garden center. They work like a champ to pump ATF, gear oil, etc.. and can be had for around $10. Nice'n easy, mess free and cheap!
G/luck
Joel

Winner!

I took your advice and went to walmart and spent $15.00 on the garden sprayer. Worked great with the tranny fluid, but with Lucas tranny fluid additive it took a while. I just mixed the additive and the dextron III together and it went pretty quick and clean.

John

Add your comment to this topic!