Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

thump between tracks

tnelson256
05-24-2005, 07:12 AM
im so mad... i cant find help anywhere. whenever i change tracks manually or switch from cdplayer to radio or the other way i get a loud thump from the subs. i havent got any ideas on what this is and its soo annoying and driving me crazy. any help?

MStout
05-24-2005, 08:32 AM
Check your ground, either its not big enough or you dont have it mounted to bare metal. That would be the first thing you should check whenever you hear anything like that.

tnelson256
05-24-2005, 08:36 AM
thanks i will check that this afternoon

bumpinstang77
05-24-2005, 12:12 PM
Its most likely the HU...... lemme guess old pioneer?

tnelson256
05-24-2005, 03:07 PM
well its not the ground (tried 3 different spots and made sure good contact) and its not a pioneer, i have a kenwood.

bumpinstang77
05-24-2005, 03:32 PM
hmmmm i still think its the HU!!

L|_|da
05-24-2005, 03:42 PM
i know a couple of HUs that do the same thing, and my stuff does it when i turn it off/on, never bothered me though.

tnelson256
05-24-2005, 05:56 PM
yea i have heard about amps doing that when it turns on and even for me this would not be a problem but this is every time i change tracks.. maybe ill swap decks with my friend and try that

L|_|da
05-24-2005, 06:15 PM
it might jsut be the lack/gain of signal thats causing it

ec437
05-26-2005, 12:37 AM
well its not the ground (tried 3 different spots and made sure good contact) and its not a pioneer, i have a kenwood.

I also have a kenwood HU that thumps the sub between tracks and while using the radio. But I got mine for free, so I'm not complaining. I did find that hooked up a different way, (with the PCON to the power antenna lead and not the CD player circuit lead) I got no thumping when the sub was idle, but it also did not do anything when playing a CD.

I decided that techno trance parking lot dance parties are a much better use for the subs than morning radio talkshows, so I put up with the thumping while I'm listening to the radio. :p

L|_|da
05-26-2005, 03:04 PM
no, i want my subs so i can listen to talk shows!!!!

3dees
05-28-2005, 06:12 PM
are the rca's going down the same side as the power wire? if it is your getting feed back. you get engine noise and all sorts of sounds from that. if they are separated. change the rca's. if thats not it. process of elimination. its the power supply in the amp. try rca's first. its most likly them.

3dees
05-28-2005, 06:16 PM
you get that noise typically when the rca and the power line are run side by side down the same side of the car. it creates feedback. if the rca's are separated from the power line. its still the rca. change that. if it aint that. then i got bad news. its the amp. the power supply has craped out.

PaulD
05-28-2005, 09:50 PM
some myths just never die ...........

Diceman83
05-29-2005, 06:37 PM
One idea to try is to insulate the RCA connectors with electrical tape or something. I found that my Knu Konceptz twisted pair RCAs found places to touch the chassis behind the deck, and it made the nastiest noise I've ever heard in my car. A little split loom wire wrap fixed it right up. If switching the deck and/or the amp doesn't fix the problem it may indeed be your RCA wires or their placement. If you have a few hours some weekend or afternoon, you can completely rewire your car.

Just so you know, it doesn't take much skill. I pulled my passenger seat, rear seat, and most of the rugs up, ran 3 twisted pair RCAs, main power and ground, speaker wires, hooked up crossovers, and mounted and adjusted the amp in just an afternoon. It looks awesome too. Check it out (http://dce.ath.cx/blog/?page_id=25)!

sr20de4evr
05-29-2005, 07:12 PM
Check the headunit ground, when you get a thump between tracks 99% of the time it's a bad headunit ground or a bad headunit. How could it be the amp or rcas? Think about it....how do they know when you're changing tracks or switching between the radio and cd player? If it was them you'd be getting a constant thumping or hissing or whining, not just when you changed something in the headunit. If it thumps when you do something with the headunit, then the problem lies in the headunit, it's pretty simple.

Add your comment to this topic!