Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

factory overhead DVD using RSE

rms022
05-23-2005, 10:03 PM
i have a touch screen nav in my car but i dont have the factory overhead dvd in the back. i am going to buy the factory overhead. what i need to know is what do i need to make it so i can use the RSE through the NAV. i dont want to get a FM transmitter. i want to use the RSE. how do i make that happen. and what do i need to make it work with the rear audip controls too if someone wants to watch and i dont want to listen. also is there anyway to make the overhead dvd players have an output so i can hook up another screen? thanks again

Eggert
05-24-2005, 08:54 PM
Hi,
I may be wrong. It is my understanding that the rear entertainment system is self contained and plays through headphones.
There is no connection to the nav system which needs to play its nav DVD while driving.
I am waiting to learn from our stereo experts.
Take care, Eggert : bananasmi

tonytone
05-25-2005, 03:08 PM
Actually, the RSE audio can be heard through the factory speakers by pressing the CD (symbol) button on the factory nav unit (dunno if similar is possible w/ a non-nav head unit) and through RSA headphone output by pressing the SRC button until RSE (or whatever the exact identifier is for it) is displayed on the RSA display--as long as neither XM nor CD changer (if you have the slave 6-CD changer) is currently selected as the active source on the main head unit itself (limitation of the factory nav head unit design where multiple AUX sources share a single AUX input).

Of course, all of the above assumes that all said equipment was wired/installed/configured at the factory and not after the fact...

Eggert
05-25-2005, 08:31 PM
Thanks, tonytone.
This makes sense, as the outboard CD changer and the XM tuner are separate external boxes that probably are daisy chained into the 32 pin radio connector like the OnStar VCU/VIU combo is.
Take care, Eggert :bananasmi

Add your comment to this topic!