Questions???????

marcre
05-23-2005, 09:35 PM
Hey all,

Today I tried to change out my transfer case oil, not easy. I can not get the check plug open. The thing is, it does not look to be rusted. I can not figure why it wont budge, but it wont. Any advice? I did not try the drain plug, I assume it will be as tight, I hope not though.

Also, there is a skid-plate on the transfer case, it doesn't seem like it needs to come off to do this, but it would make it easier to get at the drain plug. I unbolted the plate and it will not move. What gives? There is a hanger type thing that goes onto one of the bolts that holds it on but it does not budge. Any tricks to removing this thing?

Today I also bought some jack stands and a floor jack. The floor jack is nice, but where do I jack up the Rodeo. The front seems to get jacked from the skid plate, is this correct? The rear is where I am unsure. Do I jack it up from the rear diff? The diff is the pumpkin shaped thing right? As far as the jack stands, where is the best place to place them. On the frame rail near the wheel is what I assumed, is this correct?

Soon I want to do the diff. fluid, it looks like it needs some weird tool to looses the plug. It is not a bolt, but a square hole in a bolt. What is this tool called so I know what to ask for at the store?

Thanks for all the help, I decided I need to do some of the work on this thing myself because it is starting to get expensive and I always wanted to learn a few things about the vehicle I drive. Hopefully soon I will have the ability to do more than just "easy" maintenance.

Marc

Cat Fuzz
05-23-2005, 11:13 PM
For the drain plug, you need a half-inch drive ratchet with an extension. It will fit right into the square.

Do not jack up your truck by the skid plate! Its just a piece of sheet metal. You want to jack the truck up by the frame or under the lower control arms, or in the rear by jacking under the differential or axle. Place the jack stands under the frame or under the axle/rear or control arms/front.

You really don't need to change your differential oil. It's not like engine oil where there is alot of heat and combustion contaminants and other crud getting in. The diffy doesn't get all that hot, and there is nothing going on inside to create contaminants. My 63 Mercury Comet has never had the diffy oil changed and there hasn't been any problems with it at all. I just think there is alot of unnecassary diffy oil changin' goin' on.

marcre
05-24-2005, 06:29 PM
Thanks for the reply Cat Fuzz.

I now know what I need for that diff drain plug.

you say I can place the stands under the control arms, what and where are those? I am a newb at this.

I was looking at the manual I downloaded off of planetisuzu and it has a section on lifting. It states the front lift point is the skid plate. I was looking at the skid plate and it has a spot on it that lines up perfect for the lift. The skid plate also seems to be solid steel.

I must say I agree with you on the diffs. My mechanic told me not to bother changing out the fluid. He said it can do more harm than good.

On the transfer case, I tried all my wrenches and it will not budge. I do not have a socket that will fit. It is a cheap set though, so it is time to get some new ones.

Thanks,
Marc

marcre
06-21-2005, 03:28 PM
I know I have asked this before, but I can not remember the answer and con not find the thread. On the front diff, the fill plug looks like it takes a special type of socket to get it off. What is the tool called? Also what size is it? I plan on finally changing the diffs.

The same goes for the transfer case. What size socket do I need to purchase? Of all the sockets I have, none comes close to fitting. Also, does anyone know how to get the guard off the transfer case. I took two bolts off, but it does not budge. Is there some trick?

Thanks,
Marc

iskiuskiweski
06-21-2005, 04:05 PM
Not sure about the cover but the plug takes a 1/2" ratchet. No socket, just the ratchet wrench.

marcre
06-21-2005, 04:29 PM
Thanks for the info

marcre
06-21-2005, 05:20 PM
Not sure about the cover but the plug takes a 1/2" ratchet. No socket, just the ratchet wrench.

I must ask, is this for the front diff or the tranfer case or both? Thanks.

iskiuskiweski
06-22-2005, 08:51 AM
Both diffy's are the same. As for the t-case I am pretty sure it is the same, but don't hold me to that it has been a few month's since I did it. Best way to find out is to craw under there with your ratchet and see if it fits. I thought I saw some pictures on here at one time do a search and you may find them.

marcre
06-22-2005, 02:51 PM
Thanks for all the help everyone. I can not believe I didn't realize that the ratchet fit right in there. I thought it was some special attachment I needed, lol. My rear diff drain plug took the 3/8 ratchet. The front was a regular bolt. I checked them both and the fluid looked real nice, but I will change them in a few days.

I finally got around to doing the EGR myself. It would have been a lot easier with a friend, as my Rodeo kept stalling out. What I ended up doing it just spraying the hole full of fluid, let soak in then start the car and rev the engine. I will do it the "correct" way next time. Same with the PCV line. I am not sure if it is my mind playing tricks on me or not, but it seemed to make the Rodeo quieter at idle and smoother. The EGR itself looked good, the pintle was nice and free, with some carbon. I cleaned it the best I could. The only problem I had was the sharpie falling in a tight space in the back of the engine. That took a while to find and even longer to reach.

Also, just worth mentioning, I did the second sea foam treatment in the crankcase. I am hoping to decrease the consumption. I also switched to valvoline high mileage. I am in the process of searching for a favorite oil.

I know I have asked this before, but I can not remember the answer and can not find the thread. On the front diff, the fill plug looks like it takes a special type of socket to get it off. What is the tool called? Also what size is it? I plan on finally changing the diffs.

Thanks,
Marc

I found this question I asked to be some what funny. I just realized it was this same thread that I asked it.

Marc
:screwy:

marcre
06-24-2005, 09:14 PM
another quick question.

When I removed my rear diff drain plug, it shot out when it was loose. This tells me there was preasure in the diff. Is this normal? If not, what might be wrong?

thanks,
Marc

amigo-2k
06-24-2005, 11:24 PM
Your diff breather is probably plugged.

find the rubber hose the is connected to it, and follow it up. On the end you will find a metal peice, try to spin the cap (it won't come off) to free it up.

iskiuskiweski
06-27-2005, 11:17 AM
I had this same problem, only with me it was so bad it caused my pinion seal to leak. I took the fill plug out and the air pressure built up in there sounded as if I was spraying an aresol can orsomething. I took the breather off and it was completely corroded shut. The only thing I could do was replace it, very inexpensive part, now that I know, I may do everytime I change the lube.

marcre
06-27-2005, 05:25 PM
That sounds like a good idea. I worked on it a bit and may have freed it up, but replacement seems smart. what is the part called that I need to replace. Also, about how much is it.

Thanks,
Marc

iskiuskiweski
06-28-2005, 09:46 AM
Not sure, I had some of these laying around the shop very similar to the one that was on there, that I replaced mine with, actually a better part I think, because it is made of stainless stell and won't corrode like the one that was one there. I bet if you call St. Charles and ask the for the breather element for your rear diffy they will know what you are taking about, I can't see it being any more than a few dollars.

Add your comment to this topic!