1998 Windstar Starburst Wheelcovers

irffri
05-23-2005, 11:01 AM
This problem has now caused two flats and has damaged a third tire. As the tire rotates the edge of the wheelcover, which is sharp, wears on the sidewall of the tire. I do keep my tires properly inflated, between 32-35lbs. Even at 35lbs, max. recommended pressure, the wheelcover rubs against the sidewall at the Bulge of the tire. After finally realizing what was causing the "squishing" sound every time the tire made a revolution, I've sanded off the sharp edge of the wheel covers to prevent further damage. Before I take my case to Ford and ask what they might do about the damage caused, I thought I would see if anyone else has encountered this problem. It happened to two different types of Goodyear tires... Regatta 2, and the cheapened Sears version Weatherhandler.

IRFFRI

DRW1000
05-23-2005, 08:53 PM
Just when I thought I heard everything.............

This is a strange one. Is the wheel cover larger than the rim? I wouldn't think that it would extend farther out than the rim itself nor would I expect it to be able to touch the tire unless the tire is too wide for the rim and thus the side wall is deformed to fit. Do you use the correct size tire?

irffri
05-24-2005, 08:27 AM
That is what the guy at Ford asked, and yes the correct size tire is on the Van, according to the door panel label, P205/70's. The wheelcover extends out about even with the rim, mabey 1/8" beyond, I don't have it here to see it at the moment. It's only at the bulge of the tire that contact is made. Mabey it is just that particular tire? Oh, and it only happens on the front tires due to the extra weight, mabey the 460 wasn't such a good idea. Kidding of course. What ever it is it won't happen again, the sharp edges are gone. I guess I'm just the lucky one, along with all the common problems I get this too!

DRW1000
05-24-2005, 02:11 PM
I think the 460 would be a great idea. Doubt it would fit though. I think my tire size is 215 70 R15. If they are undersized I would suspect less of a problem then the other way but I am having a hard time picturing the efect in my head. They would have to be seriously underinflated to make a huge difference in my opinion. The other thing I was thinking is that they must be really sharp since the covers are not slicing as they do not turn relative to the tires so it is all puncture force. Is the rim(s) damaged in anyway. Does it cut in one section only or is the whole circumferenced marked?

irffri
05-25-2005, 10:54 AM
They aren't sharp like a knife, mabey I could cut my finger if I were to drag it along the edge. It took 30,000 miles or so to wear through. The wear mark isn't all the way around the tire, I'd say 1/2 to 3/4 of the circumference of the tire, and it is deepest at the midpoint of the groove. I have some pics but haven't figured out how to put them in this reply. It's as if the wheelcover wasn't centered. I checked the tabs on the back of the wheelcover and they are all there, but it must have been off-center somehow. The rims are fine, I just had them all balanced and took a close look at each one.

Add your comment to this topic!