Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

89 daytona cs

mrthick71
05-23-2005, 12:13 AM
I am fixing up my brothers 89 daytona cs and was wondering if there was a better turbo to go in it witout major engine mods. He wants it to run again and doesn't want to beef it up. He has replaced the turbo 3 times and never done the waste gate....so I know I should replace the gate. Any suggestions on a good turbo and where can I get it?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

AWP9521
05-23-2005, 12:06 PM
You didn't mention which engine you have, do you have the 2.5 L Turbo I Engine with an Auto Tranny or the 2.2 L Turbo II Engine with the 5 Speed Tranny? They had different Turbos between the two, the 2.5 TI Engines have a Mitsubishi Turbo on them and the 2.2 TII's have a Garrett Turbo. I personally like the Garretts as they seem to last longer and can build a little more boost plus they should work on the TI engine.

When they were replaced did he get used Turbos from a salvage yard, new, or remanufactured units? Personally, I wouldn't get a Turbo from a salvage yard, you don't know how much abuse they have received, sure if you do find one that doesn't have too much shaft endplay there is still no guarantee it will last. Best bet is a remanufactured or new unit, at least there is some kind of warranty with it. A pretty good place to get new or remanufactured Turbos is Turbos Unleashed, (http://www.turbosunleashed.com) they have a very wide variety to choose from and if you get their braided oil and optional water cooling lines they will warrant their products for 2 years, plus if you have any questions "Chris" is more than willing to answer them for you as to what will work with with what you have. In fact my son is awaiting his shipment for his 89 Daytona Shelby (2.5 TI with a TII Intercooler and 5 speed instead of the factory Auto) which should be arriving in the next day or 2 because his went just last week and he will be upgrading to a brand new Turbonetics Super 60 unit. Should be interesting :)

The wastgate is integral with the Turbo so if you buy a remanufactured one the gate will also be refurbished, You may need to replace the actuator though unless you know it still works.

mrthick71
06-04-2005, 04:02 AM
I'll have to look under the hood but I think the CS is a 2.5 with a manual trans. thanx for the url...big help

AWP9521
06-05-2005, 01:46 AM
I might of mislead you on the engine size, my sons car was originally equipped with an Auto Tranny but he kept killing them so he got a 5 speed from a wrecking yard and put it in. If you have a 5 speed and it was factory installed then you should have the 2.2L Turbo II Engine, it should have an Intercooler on it mounted next to the Radiator. If the car was originally an Automatic car like my son's then it would have a 2.5L Turbo I Engine with no Intercooler unless someone put one in.

SVTcobra306
06-18-2005, 12:16 PM
Hi! contact a place like Turbos Unleashed or FWD Performance. A Garrett T-03 turbo or S-60 style will bolt right in if you upgrade to TII oil and coolant lines...

I would recommend upgrading to the TII intercooler/rad combo also.

The stock Mitsu turbo will only live under mild conditions. Curious, have you checked the BOV in the airbox? Misu's die quickly if the BOV fails in a manual transmission application.

The C/S was available as a performance model with a 2.5 TI engine and 'turbo' sticker on the hoodscoop, or as a competition model with 'turbo intercooled' on the hoodscoop.

I ran a performance model into the 13 second quarter mile zone with a TII I/C setup, an S60 turbo, and 15 PSI of boost...

mrthick71
08-09-2005, 03:23 PM
Now I got the lowdown. My brother told me that it is a 2.5 which I knew already, it has the 5 speed and no intercooler. This was an option for the c/s in 89.

DaYtOnAt2
10-19-2005, 03:26 AM
Just scanning through... If you've had to replace 3 turbos on this thing you may want to replace the oil feed and return lines. I know that most vendors won't warranty a turbo if they aren't replaced as well.

Add your comment to this topic!