Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Hi-flow cat, is it worth it?

erichz
05-22-2005, 08:44 PM
Hi all, my check engine light in the 2000 taco has been coming on intermittently (every 2000 miles or so). I finally scanned the ECU at my buddy's garage and i got a code that says i'm having an efficiency problem (its not the o2 sensor), so he says its probably a bad cat. now i just have to figure out if it's the front or rear cat. My question is, if i have a bad cat, should i invest in a hi flow, and if i do, do i have to replace both cats with hi flows if only one is bad. Is the power increase substantial enough to warrant the purchase? it would be nice to have some more power, since i have noticed a drop in power and a rough exhaust noise. Thanks for any info, Erich.

bearcat329
05-23-2005, 10:07 AM
anytime you can increase the effecency of either the intake, or the exhaust system, you will get the reward of increased power and economy, over time, the cost of the upgrade, will be offset by the increase of economy, how long is the big question.
givin that you're having problems with the cat, i'd go ahead and upgrade the system to a high flow one.
i'm sure you'll like it
hth
Rick, Ore

Flash75
05-23-2005, 08:37 PM
If your truck has less than 80,000 miles and your state has emissions inspections you may want to read what is required to purchase and replace a converter. The converter should not fail if your engine is running properly so any problems should be corrected to keep the new converter from failing.

http://www.kansascityconverters.com/gicon.htm

Clifton

Add your comment to this topic!