Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Hatchbacks For Racing?

GamerFreak
05-21-2005, 09:10 PM
hey whats up. first post here. anyways, i like hatchbacks like the honda civic si, the crx, ford focus and others. well, can any of these cars be made into good racing cars? i've read around and haven't heard much about them. thank you in advance.

05-21-2005, 10:02 PM
You can race anything.

RaidenKing
05-21-2005, 10:39 PM
hey whats up. first post here. anyways, i like hatchbacks like the honda civic si, the crx, ford focus and others. well, can any of these cars be made into good racing cars? i've read around and haven't heard much about them. thank you in advance.

Well I've loved hatches all along simply because I really dislike having to have a trunk separate from the back seat. I like easy access and a hatch will sound better with subwoofers in the trunk because there isn't so much blocking the air from reaching the front granted you'd have to take off that back hatch cover (correct me if I'm wrong here audio guys, I'm just basing this response off of my own experiences).

As far as racing, anything with a good engine has potential to be a 'race car'. Those honda hatches are generally light and its popular to swap alternate honda motors in them to give them a much better power/weight ratio thus enabling them to compete with higher end vehicles on the track. The focus I'm not too sure of though I have seen a turbo focus that was pretty nice.

Its a pretty broad question with a variety of answers, I'd suggest you do some car specific research first.

Ace$nyper
05-22-2005, 12:10 AM
my hatch about 2100lbs with me in 200 HP *crank* lil over zealous with HP but its near that its fun anycar can be good god this sucks.

GamerFreak
05-22-2005, 12:48 AM
thanks. i'm looking at the ford focus and the honda civic si right now. i dont want to spend that much money though. i'm leaning towards the civic right now but whichever i can find for a better price i will probably get. also, do you think these cars can compete with other cars geared more towards racing? like the eclipse, lancer evo, wrx, dsm, fox body, etc. thank you.

TheStang00
05-22-2005, 10:04 AM
well one thing for sure is that the ford focus will outhandle almost anything. so you really wont need to make any suspension upgrades, handling is what that cars known for.

CBFryman
05-22-2005, 04:59 PM
Well I've loved hatches all along simply because I really dislike having to have a trunk separate from the back seat. I like easy access and a hatch will sound better with subwoofers in the trunk because there isn't so much blocking the air from reaching the front granted you'd have to take off that back hatch cover (correct me if I'm wrong here audio guys, I'm just basing this response off of my own experiences).

Partially correct, really the SPL gains are because the shape of the interor cabin is a box with rounded corners and not the funky shape of a sedan, plus most hatchs are cheap and all the body panels tend to resonate a lot. same reason SUV's are louder than trucks or sedans, and hatchs have the advantage because there is less air space, though the air in the SUV will have a lower resonant frequincy because longer true wavelengths can exist.

anyway, hatchs can be fast, but they can also be POS ricers...their advantage is they are really light, in general. also, just an FYI...Ford focuses run with Evo's and WRX's etc. in the Rallys, but they are generally factory backed with lots of cash... :uhoh:

drftk1d
05-23-2005, 11:38 AM
anyway, hatchs can be fast, but they can also be POS ricers...their advantage is they are really light, in general. also, just an FYI...Ford focuses run with Evo's and WRX's etc. in the Rallys, but they are generally factory backed with lots of cash... :uhoh:

and generally turbo/awd...

CBFryman
05-23-2005, 04:00 PM
Very true, i just though id leave that one out...lol. they are also striped of all comferts so it is a chassis, som windows, wheels, engine, tranny, driveline.... and some pedals and steering wheel.

GamerFreak
05-23-2005, 04:12 PM
okay. so could something like a ford focus, vw golf, or a civic hatchback be made into a good racing platform? I would like to keep it pretty cheap if possible.

Mr. Luos
05-23-2005, 04:24 PM
My car is a hatchback.

ghostrx7
05-23-2005, 04:26 PM
88 rx7, light cheap and fast!!!!!!

drftk1d
05-23-2005, 04:33 PM
My car is a hatchback.

you make a good point. alot of performance cars are hatchbacks.

supras even.

CBFryman
05-23-2005, 07:21 PM
i think he means hatch like a Ford Focus or Civic 3 door or CRX...but yes, performance cars are generally coupe (with a trunk) or hatch...

chevytrucks92
05-24-2005, 12:07 AM
anyway, hatchs can be fast, but they can also be POS ricers

My car's a hatchback.

And FYI, any car can be made into a POS ricer.

CBFryman
05-24-2005, 08:24 AM
yes, but yo usee more civic hatchs, CRX's, Ford Focuses, etc... as ricers than classic muscel hatchs or modern muscel hatchs...

CivicSiRacer
05-25-2005, 10:50 PM
You can race anything (note 1991 Civic Si) 55mb:
http://www.mikelouietkd.com/2005-05-07WDCR.wmv

Add your comment to this topic!