Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1987 CVlx runs rough idles ok

ohiocitylimit
05-20-2005, 09:32 AM
my grandpa died and i have his 1987 cv lx it starts and idles good but when you put brake on and put in gear it runs rough and when you switch gears like to back up it either dies or tries to die.it is a 5.0 engine new tune up plugs wires airfilter fuel filter.just want it to run more smoother any suggestions

amo4387622
05-22-2005, 12:06 AM
It sounds like the idle air control valve. Sometimes cleaning it may fix your problem if not it needs to be replaced. it is also a good idea to clean the throttle body too

ohiocitylimit
05-22-2005, 11:11 AM
where is the idle air control is that the thing on the side of the throttle body that looks like a little starter.i unplug it when the car is running but doesnt make any difference in the running

amo4387622
05-22-2005, 02:52 PM
Yes the IAC is on the side of the throttle body. But what is your reason for unpluging it? It should be pluged in when the car is running. But i have had the same problem you are dealing with and i replaced my IAC and it fixed the problem.

jotzgr
05-24-2005, 01:13 AM
My 91 was doing the exact same thing. Died every time you put it in gear. Took off the IAC, spent about 15 minutes cleaning it and now it's fine. Thanks for the help. Didn't even have to buy a new one.

ohiocitylimit
05-26-2005, 09:38 AM
now it seems when i start it in the morning just sitting there idling the engine just drops real low like its gonna die then comes back to normal idle,how do i clean the iac is it carbon that needs to be cleaned from it? is there any little parts gonna fall out i just dont wanna make it worse than it is.i unplugged it to see if it made any difference in running but no change plugged up or not does this mean its not working

jotzgr
05-26-2005, 10:39 PM
To clean the valve, take it off the throttle body (2 screws). Unscrew the electrical end (2 screws). The only thing that may fall out is a rubber O-ring between the two pieces. Soak the bottom (nonelectrical) portion in carburetor cleaner for no more than 3 minutes. Do not use spray choke cleaner (per Ford shop manual). Then blow out with compressed air and reassemble. After the carb cleaner I used dish soap and Qtips to get all the black gunk out, especially around the openings where the valve moves up and down. If it's not doing anything when you disconnect the electrical, it may not be working at all. A new one is about $50 at any auto parts store. That may be your best bet. I have three of these cars and they all do the idle up and down thing in the morning when they are started cold. After that, they all run fine. Hope this helps.

jT

Add your comment to this topic!