tranny issue...need help!!!

hopesterz
05-20-2005, 07:24 AM
I have a 95 Rodeo 3.2 V6(automatic) with 180,000 miles. A few days ago we noticed a small leak coming from the rear transmission seal. When my hubby replaced it he slightly bent the small metal spring that is on that seal. (I am describing this the best I can) The output shaft this sits on had what look like "wear and tear" indentions but he put the seal in anyways. Still had slight drip from the seal so he said he would replace it again without damaging the seal. Well I drove it 40 highway miles. I stopped to pay a toll and had driven around 32 miles when the truck didnt want to go. I let it sit for a few minutes then drove it about 5 more miles to the parts store. I put fluid in and EVERY bit came out on the ground...the seal was no good. Replaced the seal again, filled with new fluid and.......tranny wont get out of first gear!!! Did driving it cause major damage to the tranny or is there a fix for this? I also noticed that when it didnt want to go, that when I put my foot on the brake to shift to drive, there was a clicking noise every time I touched the brake to put it in drive. Before I drove it, I did this a few times to make sure I heard it correctly. Foot pushing brake and hand on shifter...I felt it in the shifter. Any suggestions?

suvguy
05-20-2005, 09:10 PM
Double-check for proper fluid level. The clicking is the safety solenoid that prevents you from leaving park without your foot on the brake. Disconnect the battery and turn the key to start for a five count, then turn off and reconnect the battery. This will reset the computer. If the output shaft where the output seal rideds has a groove in it, that shaft either needs to be relaced or a sleeve (if possible and if they make one) needs to be installed. I doubt they make a sleeve and seal kit for the tranny output shaft, but I could be wrong.

suvguy

I have a 95 Rodeo 3.2 V6(automatic) with 180,000 miles. A few days ago we noticed a small leak coming from the rear transmission seal. When my hubby replaced it he slightly bent the small metal spring that is on that seal. (I am describing this the best I can) The output shaft this sits on had what look like "wear and tear" indentions but he put the seal in anyways. Still had slight drip from the seal so he said he would replace it again without damaging the seal. Well I drove it 40 highway miles. I stopped to pay a toll and had driven around 32 miles when the truck didnt want to go. I let it sit for a few minutes then drove it about 5 more miles to the parts store. I put fluid in and EVERY bit came out on the ground...the seal was no good. Replaced the seal again, filled with new fluid and.......tranny wont get out of first gear!!! Did driving it cause major damage to the tranny or is there a fix for this? I also noticed that when it didnt want to go, that when I put my foot on the brake to shift to drive, there was a clicking noise every time I touched the brake to put it in drive. Before I drove it, I did this a few times to make sure I heard it correctly. Foot pushing brake and hand on shifter...I felt it in the shifter. Any suggestions?

hopesterz
05-23-2005, 07:17 AM
OK...tried resetting computer. We can test drive it it but it stays in first gear. I still hear the clicking noise in the brake and shifter. Should I just replace this part and how can I determine it location? Fluid levels are good too.

suvguy
05-25-2005, 09:43 PM
Find yourself a good mechanic. Sounds ike you might have more than one issue going on.

suvguy

OK...tried resetting computer. We can test drive it it but it stays in first gear. I still hear the clicking noise in the brake and shifter. Should I just replace this part and how can I determine it location? Fluid levels are good too.

Add your comment to this topic!