Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1995 oldsmobile eighty eight

hockeypuckster
05-19-2005, 09:12 PM
My car stalls while I'm slowing down, usually when I'm coming to a stop, I put it in park, and it will start okay, it happens once in a while, sometimes I can go days without happening, in the winter it does not happen any ideas?

Hansnet
05-19-2005, 11:00 PM
Probably:

Throttle Positioning Sensor
Mass Airflow Sensor

Likely causes.

Does it "sputter" when you leave from a stop?

danny_d
06-01-2005, 11:37 AM
Hi,

I have the same vehicle, mine is an lss w/SC. It does the same thing, and thus far only on the few warmer days we've been having here in the NE. I just got the vehicle w/ 140k, but it's exceptionally clean. I bought it for $2,600 from a doctor who said he put all the mileage on driving from LI to NJ. I've put about 300 miles on it so far, and the oil comes off really clean and there are no leaks anywhere so that's a good sign. I plan on switching mobil1 next oil change. None the less, the car does have alot of mileage, and I'm getting nervous about the purchase. I'm hearing the transmissions (4t60e?) had a lot of problems and are very expensive to fix. I'm going to start by investigating those two sensors, so can you tell me where to look? How much roughly do they cost? I haven't picked up a Haynes manual for the vehicle yet. The car is pretty loaded and everything is working, so it's a very nice driving, handling vehicle most of the time. But it does seem to hesitate sometimes, and between the SC and the tranny, I'm afraid she's going to be a money pit. Any info you can give me is greatly appreciated.

thanks,

Dan

danny_d
06-01-2005, 11:58 AM
Update-

I called AutoZone, prices are as follows

Throttle positioning sensor (Wells) -$50 90 day warranty
Mass Airflow Sensor (AC-Delco)- $109 1 year warranty
or
Mass Airflow Sensor (Cardone)- $140 90 day warranty

not exactly cheap enough to just change unless needed, so how can I test and which is most likely the problem?

thanks

danny_d
06-12-2005, 01:26 PM
Just as an update, and to complete this thread for anyone in the future who may be facing the same problem, I replaced the TPS for $65 (BorgWarner) from Pepboys and that corrected the problem completely.

Hansnet
06-12-2005, 02:07 PM
I'd go with OEM GM parts myself....

Throttle Position Sensor
$42.26

Mass Airflow Sensor
$102.47

O2 Sensor
$38.29

leonm2
10-19-2005, 02:26 AM
Probably:

Throttle Positioning Sensor
Mass Airflow Sensor

Likely causes.

Does it "sputter" when you leave from a stop?
I have a 95 olds 88 and having trouble when the enging is warmed up and i speed up supercharger kicks in and out. Trying to figure out what i need to do to get this problem fixed.

leonm2
10-19-2005, 02:33 AM
I had bought a 95 olds 88 royal. perfect car except when thee engine is completely warmed up. I try to speed up suddenly and feels like my supercharger kicks in and out maybe bearings are worn out in the supercharger. I have no idea.I anyone could reply back and possibly give me any answers or solutions on how to fix the loss of horsepower. or i have a cell you could reach me at (843) 709-3068

Jdeck
10-20-2005, 10:46 AM
The amount of pressurized air going into the engine is controlled and is the reason you feel the power surge. I'm not sure yet what is controlling the regulator. It may be mechanical or electrical.
I've experienced a similar problem with my 95/88 LSS. At a constant throttle setting, the car will accelerate as you would expect but at 50MPH, I receive a boost in power.
I also have a worn AC compressor seal which has a small leak and when the refrigerant is low, the comp. clutch kicks in and out, causing a surge during acceleration also.

Add your comment to this topic!