How to fix a Cracked Transmission

flip888
05-19-2005, 05:23 PM
I was driving my accord last week and while i was going around a curve all of the sudden a rock appeard in the road which hit my transmission when i drove over it. when i got home i examened the car and found a little hole about the size of a pin head that was leaking fluid. A few days later i put some JB Weld epoxy on it but it didnt work so i tried it again the next day and still it didnt work so now i think im going to just replace the transmission and probably the engine too while im at it.
I just wanted to check here to see if you guys have any ideas about how to fix it before i replace it.
So any ideas about how to fix it would be great.
Thanks

Deadhead
05-19-2005, 05:34 PM
if it's that small, can't you just weld it up?

flip888
05-19-2005, 06:08 PM
i thought about that but then thought the heat might cause damage to the internal parts so i wanted to try epoxys or something first. would it be safe?

ProMan
05-20-2005, 01:07 AM
My suggestion is to use something like the stripe that's for fix the flat tires. It's tough, sticky. But you need to figure out a way to squeeze it in.

94hondaacc
05-20-2005, 10:38 AM
jb weld should hold it. but you can check with an autopart store that might have something better. the engine in my accord is cracked at the block, i put jb weld, and have been good for two years now. i have been on 3 hour plus drives and no problem, it is starting to leak again though, so i got to do it over, one thing i have to suggest, get some brake cleaner spray, or starting fluid, and clean around the opening, this will take all the oil and grease out of the area where you are going to put jb weld. p.s. it doesnt work if the area has oil on it.you have to clean the oil off.

phantastic1
05-20-2005, 03:09 PM
how much oil is leaking out say....in a day. another reason why you may be having trouble getting the jb weld to work is b/c the oil is still leaking out before the epoxy hardens. if that is the case...you may have to drain your trans first then try again and let it set for 24hrs before refilling.

jeffcoslacker
05-20-2005, 03:35 PM
if it's that small, can't you just weld it up?

Can't weld aluminum-magnesium alloy.

Deadhead
05-21-2005, 05:34 PM
Can't weld aluminum-magnesium alloy.

oops.... my bad

jeffcoslacker
05-23-2005, 11:20 AM
oops.... my bad

I had a customer come through the shop several years ago with an Accord leaking tranny fluid very fast, with it on the lift I could see the entire case was covered with fluid. I wiped it down and when I came back from lunch the whole thing was wet again.

I wiped it down again and watched fluid appear like magic all over the case, right before my eyes. It was then I realized the entire case was crazed with very fine cracks in the casting, and it was bleeding out from it. I sent them to the dealer.

They came back and told me that it was replaced at no charge, there had been problems with a certain run of tranny castings that weren't cooled properly after casting or something, that led to this problem.

Anybody else ever run across one of those?

Add your comment to this topic!