Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Starter problems

americansk8er85
05-19-2005, 02:57 PM
so i had a mechanic check my car out, and aparently the solenoid is bad. now im out under the car today, and i can't get the starter out at all. im like what the heck. the solenoid seems accesable, but the axle is in the way. is there anything i can unbolt and move out of my way to slide it out. i have a 94 gmc jimmy 4.6l. any info would help.

1995JimmyLT
05-19-2005, 10:54 PM
I had the same difficulties when I changed the starter on my 1995. It also had a bad solenoid, but the motor was still good. Too bad most of the parts stores around hear only sell the entire unit not the solenoid alone, anyhow....

According to the Haynes manual, the engine has to be lifted slightly to remove it, however, I was not going to do that and I proved them wrong! I ended up removing the armature out of the starter motor while it was still in place. This was quite difficult, but I did get out the entire thing without raising the engine.

Re-installation of the new one was a bit easier because I filed down the end of the housing of the new starter so that it would slip into place without having to take it apart. The job turned out perfect and the starter has been in there trouble free for about 3.5 years so far.

I would suggest if you take this approach, be sure not to get any file shavings into the motor, stuff it with some rags or something, other than that, good luck, it is a real pain in the butt.

rlith
05-20-2005, 06:48 AM
Simply remove the transmission flyplate inspection cover (4 15mm bolts). The starter will drop right out without having to jack it up or wrestle with it.

Add your comment to this topic!