Multitude of issues (possibly engine, tranny, other?)

zimmy7
05-19-2005, 11:13 AM
I have a 95.5 Rodeo 3.2 4x4 w/ 150,000 miles. I have recently had several problems. Maybe systems of the same problem, but I am not sure. I'll try to give the sequence as well as possible.

First, No problems other than a strange occasional loss of power (acceleration) for a split second. Happened at highway speeds and pulling out from a stop. When it first happened my wife thought she had hit a patch of ice.

Second, I had the truck in 4 low to pull out of some snow. Couldn't get the shifter out of low for a few minutes.

3rd, Two or three times it didn't want to go into reverse. Hasn't happened too recently

4th, Started it one day and it started extremely rough, tranny light flashed, engine shook. Turned it off for a second, started right up without problem.

Most recently, strong hesitation and sort of shaking and joltsat low speeds and higher speeds. Wife couldn't go over 50 mph one day on the highway. Took it on a fairly long trip this week and it did ok, but hesitatedslightly. KInd of felt like something was clogged and that if I would step on it, I would expect it to smooth out. However, steping on it didn't help, but made it hesitate more.

So not sure if it is one or more problems. My mechanic doesn't know isuzu's very well. He also doesn't think I should put alot of money into it by replacing random parts to try to solve an unidentified source of the problems. I appreciate any thoughts. Thanks
Owen

amigo-2k
05-19-2005, 11:21 AM

Could be a weak electrical system. Battery, Alt, ground points. If the battery is newer you could have it and the alt load tested. Isuzu tranny's do funny things with weak electrical systems. Also, a general tune up maybe in order too (plugs and wires are the key things; wires typically are good for about 75k).

The lack of power could also be due to a plugged cat. A muffler shop should be able to determine this. If they are plugged buy a nice high flow one from a place like JEGs and have a shop cut out the old and weld in the new.

2. I'm not an expert on 4x4 systems but some of the older one you need to back up to help disengage it.

zimmy7
05-20-2005, 08:44 AM
Thanks for the reply.
Drove it about 60 miles today. Thre was some major hesitation and for the first time (at least that I've noticed it) I heard a loud clunk in the area of the engine. It happened twice. Can't be good...

surferfletch
05-20-2005, 05:17 PM
Has the timing belt ever been changed? When was the last time the plugs were swapped out?

zimmy7
05-23-2005, 11:23 AM
I believe the plugs were done about 40,000 ago. I plan on changing the plugs and wires.

Interesting thing ... I sat at idle with reverse engaged and every few seconds the engine made a slight groaning sound. When I put it in park the noise stopped. I put it in reverse, put the ebrake on and popped the hood. Every time it made the noise the engine block shook. Occured every few seconds. I think I need to get it to a dealer for a diagnostic...

superfret78
05-23-2005, 03:20 PM
I have a 95.5 Rodeo 3.2 4x4 w/ 150,000 miles. I have recently had several problems. Maybe systems of the same problem, but I am not sure. I'll try to give the sequence as well as possible.

First, No problems other than a strange occasional loss of power (acceleration) for a split second. Happened at highway speeds and pulling out from a stop. When it first happened my wife thought she had hit a patch of ice.

Second, I had the truck in 4 low to pull out of some snow. Couldn't get the shifter out of low for a few minutes.

3rd, Two or three times it didn't want to go into reverse. Hasn't happened too recently

4th, Started it one day and it started extremely rough, tranny light flashed, engine shook. Turned it off for a second, started right up without problem.

Most recently, strong hesitation and sort of shaking and joltsat low speeds and higher speeds. Wife couldn't go over 50 mph one day on the highway. Took it on a fairly long trip this week and it did ok, but hesitatedslightly. KInd of felt like something was clogged and that if I would step on it, I would expect it to smooth out. However, steping on it didn't help, but made it hesitate more.

So not sure if it is one or more problems. My mechanic doesn't know isuzu's very well. He also doesn't think I should put alot of money into it by replacing random parts to try to solve an unidentified source of the problems. I appreciate any thoughts. Thanks
Owen

Ok, for #1 it could be a few things: If the during the loss of power you could hear the engine revving but you weren't going anywhere, then all of the sudden the car jerks forward...your transmision has some kind of problem, most likely low on fluid or dirty fluid. This will usually happen from a stop, especially if you are on some kind of incline.
If the loss of power involves the engine not revving, but instead the rpm's kinda drop and the engine sputters a bit almost like its going to die for a second, then suddenly cuts back in and the car goes forward....you may need new ignition wires or spark plugs.
And of course, the alternator could always be the problem.

#'s 2 and 3 sound like possible tranmission fluid issues.

#4 sounds like something that could happen if the voltage regulator on your altenator is not working properly. I'd have your alternator tested.

You could have a clogged cat. converter, but a lot of times when then get clogged, you will have idle problems, or the vehicle will cut out right after starting. If it were me, I'd have your transmission fluid looked at and the alternator checked. If those things check out, I'd get new plugs and plug wires put on.

AuburnRyan
04-03-2006, 01:12 PM
Revive Thread!

I have similar issues on my 1995 Rodeo @ 135k miles. At first I thought the A/T transmission fluid was dirty and resulting in slipping gear. Feels like the engine hits a wall, then is sucking through a straw = no acceleration. Started about 2 weeks ago and hasn't stopped since. However, once on the highway and this happens, the check engine light engages and the issue appears to mostly go away, I image the computes deactivates the faulty component?

I'm going to try to read the code and clean my MAF...could be an O2 sensor as well...

The Tranny fliud is dirty, I've been putting it off since it's not recommended to flush drity fluid. Should I go ahead and do an AAMCO flush anyways? The BG seems good, but AAMCO is half the price - and probably quality I'm sure.

Ramblin Fever
04-04-2006, 12:18 AM
Stay FAR away from AAMCO - they're in business to TELL you exactly what you don't want to hear.

How long has it been since the fluid's been changed??

If it's been changed in the last 25-40k miles, I'd have it flushed or rather just have yourself, someone drop the pan and replace filter/partial fluid.

If it's been quite some time since last fluid swap, I wouldn't recommend a flush.

Add your comment to this topic!