Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Dead Beater-mobile

Alibi
05-18-2005, 08:59 PM
Hello. I recently attained a beater 1986 olds 88. It was stolen and vandalized 2 owners before me, but the motor was running ok when i got it.

It cranks and usually starts on the first try, but it dies unless i give it some gas. Also, it idles really hard. I replaced the o2 sensor and that helped the idle and start-up, but then i started checking the plugs.

Several of the plug wires were really loose on the distributor (not the right name, but you know what i mean) so i tried to tighten them w/ a pair of pliers and put them back on....But now the engine wont start at all. It will crank over, but then stall and it gives a really wierd noise --kinda like the motor is gasping for air.... I think i got the firing order off but i checked it against my other olds 88 and it was fine....still, same problem. Any suggestions as to why my engine would suddenly die on me? Would totally replacing plugs and wires be a good idea since i have no clue how old they are?

I'm not looking to toally overhaul the motor since i intend to repair the interior (was pretty much stripped, but i have a junker w/ good interior parts) so anything that would involve cheap and or easy parts to replace would be nice.

Hansnet
05-19-2005, 11:03 PM
do you have a digital camera? if so take pics of the coil packs.

I'd replace all the spark plugs w/delcos and only delcos

Available at autozone for about a buck a piece

Then get some new wires (~$20)

See what happens.

Alibi
05-20-2005, 08:57 PM
I bought wires a couple days ago at oriely and i'm going to buy plugs tommorow. I also invested in a chiltons so hopefully i can figure out what parts are what now...

I dont have a digital camera but i'll check the condition of the coil packs tommorrow during the daylight, and i'll put in the plugs and wires...

Alibi
05-23-2005, 09:04 PM
I checked the spark plugs --all AC Delcos and in good shape. I have been ill lately so haven't had a chance to replace the wires, but i will when i have a day off from work (i'm trying to make up days lost from being sick).

What should i look for in the coil packs? From the outside they look fine, but should i remove it from the ignition module and inspect further? I have a junk car w/ a faily new coil pack on it that i could replace it with, should i just go ahead and replace it and see what happens?

I suppose i'll replace the plug wires tommorrow and go from there.

Alibi
05-25-2005, 08:30 PM
I kinda feel like im talking to myself in this thread :rolleyes:

Anyway, i got a hold of the last owner and he said that the plugs are new and i replaced the wires today. I did have the firing order off, but i managed to correct it with the aid of a chiltons :)

It started up just fine, still a somewhat rough idle but not nearly as bad as it was. Unfortunately, the car will not start again now. I checked all the spark plug wires to be sure that they were connected right and they were...

I try to turn the motor over but the only thing i get is the clicking of the starter

Suggestions anyone?!

Add your comment to this topic!