Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

problems with reverse

bailey228
05-18-2005, 05:06 PM
Hey I just joined, I have a 66 corvair corsa (interesting that they don't list corvairs in adding a vehicle to your profile). I swear to God I have a curse on all cars! I love this car dearly but AAA won't take my calls anymore because I've used up all of my tows on this car :(. (I also blew my sisters 82 grand am engine but that thing had about 200,000 miles on it so it was just conicidence) I can fix basic things on my own and with a good book I can tear apart the engine and put it back together. But I'm at a loss here and so is my Dad, the local corvair expert. It will go into gear just fine, but when I try to go in reverse it won't budge. It feels just like I have the parking brake on (but I don't I promise!) Tranny fluid is full. Mabye I have a gear gone? but then wouldn't it not go into gear easily? About a year ago, me and my Dad pulled the engine and the trans to check them before I went to school with the car and everything looked good. Just a few seals we had to replace. Mabye he's protesting because I haven't spent as much time with him as I used to and when I do I drive carefully because I'm pregnant so I worry more. I know he's going to need a rebuild here soon for the engine and I'm sure the tranny will be done along with it. I have no idea how many miles this thing has on it, the odometer has been rolled back so many times. (right now it says he's got 200 miles and I KNOW that's not right it could be up close to 200,000 or more he's had a tough life) So if anyone has any suggestions as to what it could be, please let me know. All your help is very much appreciated.

SpitAndDirt
05-19-2005, 11:59 PM
You have a corsa? I believe that the Corsas only came with a manual 4sp or 3 sp but it is highly unusual that you have a powerglide. Need more info in order to diagnose.

shakey604
07-09-2005, 04:22 PM
If it is a Corsa with an auto, it should have a trans cooler on the side of the trans.. if not then someone has changed it

Ratt643
11-30-2007, 04:53 AM
I hope you got it fixed by now, but if not: check that the sprag is not put in backwards, which would cause it to lock up in reverse.Also check the shift linkage. There is a certain proceedure to adjusting the throttle linkage to the trans linkage.I dont have the procedure in front of me but I have it in a Corvair manual. Let me know if you need it.

Add your comment to this topic!