Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Oxidizing - how?

klutz_100
05-18-2005, 11:18 AM
Thanks in advance for your help.

I've got some PE parts that I'd like to blacken chemically. I know this is called oxidation but

1. how can I do it given that I have no access to "branded" blackening agents? what are the chemicals involved that cause the blackening? are there any day to day substitutes I can use?

2. Any experience/look outs that you want to share would be appreciated.

If its relevant i'm looking to blacken some nickel/silver this time round

cheers

stevenski

hks_kansei
05-19-2005, 05:41 AM
i dont know about chemically blackening, but you could just paint it black?
(but if you specify a chemical process then that obviously isnt what you want)

boot polish maybe?

empty the ink out of a black pen and let it soak?

leave it for about 40 years?

i really have no idea, but at least that may help a bit.

2.2 Straight six
05-19-2005, 07:04 AM
can't you just use metal primer and spray it the colour you want ? i know its nox oxidising but you can paint almost any effect (chrome, anodised etc..) painting is my best guess.

Second to kansei's "leave it for forty years"

Sticky Fingers
05-19-2005, 07:28 AM
dip it in coke......................maybe

drunken monkey
05-19-2005, 07:35 AM
rub honey on it and leave it in a cool damp place for a week.
that'll turn it black...... and a little fluffy.....

klutz_100
05-19-2005, 08:19 AM
coke...honey...40 years...fluffy PE frets?

I think i'll give sun tan lotion and a UV lamp a try as well :) ;)

Thanks for the ideas guys. I'm looking for some chemical way to blacken the mesh and parts cos I'm guessing that this way I don't fill in small details etc.

I've combed the www and foud lot's of proprietry stuff but can't find anything that states the active chemical (which I can probably get easily here). My guess is that it's a simple chemical reaction if you just know the right agent...and modellers are aces at finding alternative solutions!!

If I finally figure it out I'll let you know.

stevenski

PS last time i put a penny in coke, it came out bright and new not black ;)

astroracer
05-19-2005, 01:30 PM
Check out this place...
http://www.caswellplating.com/

suprastar
05-19-2005, 03:23 PM
Do you know what metal the PE parts are? Oxidising usually takes place when the metal is heated,it burns with the oxygen in the air thus forming an oxide if it is a metal such as aluminium then it won't work. I don't know of any chemicals that will give a similar effect but i will ask around (my family work as chemical extractors.)

soul-theef
05-19-2005, 05:39 PM
i have no suggestions but this would be useful to me too.

astroracer
05-19-2005, 06:24 PM
All of my parts are produced in stainless steel. I think this is true for 99% of the model CAR pieces available. If it's brass or aluminum you can easily see the difference.
Mark

sitwhiteysit
05-19-2005, 10:58 PM
If it's made of brass you can soak it in stuff called fixer bath, it's used in developing photos, it works best if its already been used. I don't know if it works on other metals. I think micro-mark sells stuff that blackens metal but I don't know what it works on either. They also make gun black used for gun barrels that would probably work.

Add your comment to this topic!