Brake Rotors???

iskiuskiweski
05-18-2005, 09:15 AM
I know that the bearing races are pressed into the rotors. My question is does anyone know that if I get new rotors will they have the bearings in them or will I have to buy them seperatly and have the new races pressed in? I just had the pads go this morning, with no warning, and my rotor was instantly grooved, so it will most definetly need replacing, so I am going to do the whole damn thing, rotors, pads, & bearings. Please let me kow will be placing my St. Charles order very soon.

amigo-2k
05-18-2005, 09:42 AM
how many miles?

iskiuskiweski
05-18-2005, 04:44 PM

Cat Fuzz
05-18-2005, 07:28 PM
Doesn't the rotor unbolt from the hub?

iskiuskiweski
05-19-2005, 08:38 AM
I have no idea. I was hoping that some here could tell me. This is why I am trying to figure out if I need to get bearings as well as the rotors. If the are together I am getting new bearings so that I do not have try and take the races out. If they are seperate then I won't need the bearings, just the rotors, and repack the bearing while I got it apart.

iskiuskiweski
05-19-2005, 08:43 AM
I know that the bearing races are pressed into the rotors. My question is does anyone know that if I get new rotors will they have the bearings in them or will I have to buy them seperatly and have the new races pressed in? I just had the pads go this morning, with no warning, and my rotor was instantly grooved, so it will most definetly need replacing, so I am going to do the whole damn thing, rotors, pads, & bearings. Please let me kow will be placing my St. Charles order very soon.

Ok, I know that I am contradicting myself here, maybe I don't know that they are pressed in to the rotors or are the hubs seperated and only bolted together. I guess this is my real question. Seperate or not seperate that is the question.

Cat Fuzz
05-19-2005, 04:43 PM
Well, either way. Everytime I've seen a new rotor that has the hub integrated, it has come with new bearing races. Also, its really not that hard to R&R the races. A hammer and flat punch will get them out. Some gentle to moderate tapping will get them back in. I'm thinking though that the rotor and the hub seperate from each other. My 94 4x4 is like that but I don't know about newer Rodeos.

Daddycat
05-19-2005, 10:13 PM
iskiuskiweski, the rotors unbolt from the hub. just did the front brakes on my 98, pads ($45), discs ($30 each) and greased the bearings. you will need new seals for the hubs. dot3 fluid, brake cleaner, high temp front wheel bearing grease and some way to apply enough torque to loosen the caliper support bracket bolts. (even with a 500 ft lb impact driver i wondered if they would come loose). if you don't have a repair manual it would be the best money you could spend. (i have the Haynes Repair Manual).
good luck, Joe
ps your bearings may be reusable, the price of new suprised me, thankfully the old bearings looked fine.

iskiuskiweski
05-20-2005, 10:13 AM
Yeah After looking more closely at the write up for the bearing repack, I could see that they were seperate things just bolted together. Which is good, I this means I don't have to replace the bearings only the pads, rotors, and the seals. I do have the Haynes manual but it doesn't quite spell everything out as clear as you would like to. Once I get in there I am sure everything will be pretty straight forward. Now only one thing left to do, and that's to "Get er done"!

Cat Fuzz
05-21-2005, 05:54 PM
I do have the Haynes manual but it doesn't quite spell everything out as clear as you would like to.

This is typical of Haynes/Chiltons manuals.
:banghead:

superfret78
05-23-2005, 02:57 PM
Rotors and bearings are 2 seperate things. The new rotors will have the new races already in them. You can inspect your old bearings and re-use them if they are looking ok, but with 120k miles, you may want to go ahead and replace them since they're not expensive. Make sure you don't overtighten the hub nut or the new bearings wil wear out prematurely.

superfret78
05-23-2005, 03:00 PM
Yeah After looking more closely at the write up for the bearing repack, I could see that they were seperate things just bolted together. Which is good, I this means I don't have to replace the bearings only the pads, rotors, and the seals. I do have the Haynes manual but it doesn't quite spell everything out as clear as you would like to. Once I get in there I am sure everything will be pretty straight forward. Now only one thing left to do, and that's to "Get er done"!

Good luck. I have never had to do the 4-wheel drive...and I haven't done them on these vehicles either. I have done them on a Ford Explorer, a Ford Ranger, and a GMC Sonoma and they were all a piece of cake. You just have to do it once to get a feel for it.

iskiuskiweski
05-24-2005, 08:19 AM
Rotors and bearings are 2 seperate things. The new rotors will have the new races already in them. You can inspect your old bearings and re-use them if they are looking ok, but with 120k miles, you may want to go ahead and replace them since they're not expensive. Make sure you don't overtighten the hub nut or the new bearings wil wear out prematurely.

I know they are seperate things, and from what I can tell the unbolt apart. So unless the new rotors come with new hubs, which I doubt, then why would the races be in there? Besides that if it came with new races, I would expect it to come with new bearing as well, since in most all case bearing and races are matched sets. I could be wrong, but from what I can tell it looks like the just unbolt apart. I guess theres no way to know for sure until I get the new ones in my hand. Thanks all for the info.

Canucklehead
05-24-2005, 08:22 AM
I know they are seperate things, and from what I can tell the unbolt apart. So unless the new rotors come with new hubs, which I doubt, then why would the races be in there? Besides that if it came with new races, I would expect it to come with new bearing as well, since in most all case bearing and races are matched sets. I could be wrong, but from what I can tell it looks like the just unbolt apart. I guess theres no way to know for sure until I get the new ones in my hand. Thanks all for the info.

Why not just call Merlin and ask him what you need?

Cat Fuzz
05-24-2005, 10:27 PM
If the rotors unbolt from the hub, which they do on Rodeos, you won't get a new hub with a new rotor. If the rotor and hub are a single piece then they usually come with new bearing races.

superfret78
05-24-2005, 11:39 PM
If the rotors unbolt from the hub, which they do on Rodeos, you won't get a new hub with a new rotor. If the rotor and hub are a single piece then they usually come with new bearing races.

Yeah, they've come as a single piece on the cars I've worked on...but yeah I looked and it looks like the ones for these vehicles are actually 2 pieces...even the 2WD.

Add your comment to this topic!