Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Help - 20" Wheel/Handling Issues

speedwaytaco
05-17-2005, 01:50 PM
Hey all, I hope you haven't covered this previously but I couldn't find anything regarding this..

I have a 05 PreRunner that I added some Helo 20" Skids with Toyo tires. I added them from the beginning ever since the thing had only about 500 miles. For the last 3500 miles I have been dealing with the Toyota dealer as well as a well known local tire shop but can't seem to get the truck to drive worth a crap.

Main issues are tracking, anytime there is a grove in the road it wants to follow, especially when you are breaking. And, about 50-55 MPH the wheel starts the jitters. All three time I took it in they told be it was out of alignment and they re-aligned. All three times absolutely no help but the problems just change in slight variations.

Has anyone heard of this issue or is this just the nature of 20" wheels/tires? Am I asking to much of the steering on the Tacoma to handle these?

Anyhelp is greatly appreciated!!!

corbinwaterski
05-17-2005, 02:05 PM
Just a guess, but with low profile tires there is less of a sidewall to cushion the bumps in the road. Could be that the front end is being hammered by the hard ride of the low profile tires. Hope this helps.

speedwaytaco
05-17-2005, 04:34 PM
Thanks for the comments.. I knew the smaller sidewalls would cause the ride to roughen up a little but I didn't think it would make the steering track and jitter.. Even right after I have it aligned it does it so its not got time to take it back out of alignment but I do see what you're saying.

corbinwaterski
05-18-2005, 08:30 AM
I have 20's on my Sequioa and haven't had a problem with them at all, so who really knows. I have noticed that all my tires will track on the freeways around here - they cut grooves in the roads on our freeways, and when the drunk guy who cuts them couldn't make a straight line my tires will follow, make sense? Good luck, I hope you get it figured out.

Add your comment to this topic!